Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well basically, what the title says :p:

I've applied to Liverpool Medical School, and am unsure whether PBL would suit me. Therefore if there is anybody on TSR who does go to a PBL university could you please tell me of your experiences. :o:

Do you like PBL or would you rather have gone to a uni with a traditional/intergrated course?

Do you think it is more difficult to study medicine at a PBL uni instead of a traditional/itergrated uni?

Would appreciate any feedback

ReputationRep:
    Please post in the main medical thread. As the title says, this area is for current medical students only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rani_Jaan)
    Well basically, what the title says

I've applied to Liverpool Medical School, and am unsure whether PBL would suit me. Therefore if there is anybody on TSR who does go to a PBL university could you please tell me of your experiences.

Do you like PBL or would you rather have gone to a uni with a traditional/intergrated course?

Do you think it is more difficult to study medicine at a PBL uni instead of a traditional/itergrated uni?

Would appreciate any feedback
    The first thing you need to do is do a search in the medicine forum for PBL as I know I've contributed to several threads discussing it and my experiences. (I'll try to find them later once I've done my PBL for the week but you should be able to find them relatively easily).

Re: PBL vs traditional/integrated. It's difficult to judge as you only really ever experience the teaching style at your own uni so can't compare. Be aware though that just because it's a PBL course, doesn't mean it can't be integrated as well (similarly, a traditional course isn't necessarily integrated).

ReputationRep:
    I think to get a good answer you need to take points from both sides, not just from PBL places. PBL seems to be the new black when it comes to medical teaching, and in many regards it is pretty good. The main criticisms are that it does require you to be good at exploring topics often without a great deal of guidance, and then the age old criticism of is it going to ensure you cover everything... what impact these have and indeed any constructive answers would be handy as I have sweet FA knowledge of PBL. Traditional course teaching is the other extreme and tbh you only really see old school lecture teaching at a very small number of universities, most like to have some sort of happy medium sometimes called 'integrated', though as I found out (and argued at length with an interviewer about) this does vary from university to university in what integrated actually means. Ive always judged it to mean 'were not sure about this PBL thing, but we dont like the traditional way of doing things any more'.

As for what I do know, traditional courses arent as bad as some people make them out to be. Yes its often reminiscent of a school classroom style of teaching, but for some people (myself included) this works pretty well. We do a course in the 3rd year (a bit like an intercalated degree) which is very research heavy - this introduces us to the concepts of digging up primary literature and getting used to critical evaluation, something that is often cited as the downfall of traditional teaching.

So all in all there are loads of different styles out there, all of which have GMC accreditation... It comes down to personal preference in the end, though to some extent everyone would be quite capable of doing any type of course, and frankly I would be more concerned about other aspects of the university above the course structure (within reason). You have to think a) what do i want out of studying medicine and b) would I enjoy doing this in this way for 5/6 years? Ok Ive written this far too qickly and it probably sounds like a massive pile of mental vomit... oh well, fun times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin101)
    I think to get a good answer you need to take points from both sides, not just from PBL places. PBL seems to be the new black when it comes to medical teaching, and in many regards it is pretty good. The main criticisms are that it does require you to be good at exploring topics often without a great deal of guidance, and then the age old criticism of is it going to ensure you cover everything... what impact these have and indeed any constructive answers would be handy as I have sweet FA knowledge of PBL. Traditional course teaching is the other extreme and tbh you only really see old school lecture teaching at a very small number of universities, most like to have some sort of happy medium sometimes called 'integrated', though as I found out (and argued at length with an interviewer about) this does vary from university to university in what integrated actually means. Ive always judged it to mean 'were not sure about this PBL thing, but we dont like the traditional way of doing things any more'.

As for what I do know, traditional courses arent as bad as some people make them out to be. Yes its often reminiscent of a school classroom style of teaching, but for some people (myself included) this works pretty well. We do a course in the 3rd year (a bit like an intercalated degree) which is very research heavy - this introduces us to the concepts of digging up primary literature and getting used to critical evaluation, something that is often cited as the downfall of traditional teaching.

So all in all there are loads of different styles out there, all of which have GMC accreditation... It comes down to personal preference in the end, though to some extent everyone would be quite capable of doing any type of course, and frankly I would be more concerned about other aspects of the university above the course structure (within reason). You have to think a) what do i want out of studying medicine and b) would I enjoy doing this in this way for 5/6 years? Ok Ive written this far too qickly and it probably sounds like a massive pile of mental vomit... oh well, fun times.
    Ta, and + rep for you :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.