Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I wondered how many of you have started your GCSE revision yet? Or those who have already taken yours and recieved A*s/As.. when did you start? Any tips appretiated; I'm starting to get scared. (I know that's pretty pathetic..but i'm a worrier!)

ReputationRep:
    I did okay in my GCSE's not quite 11 A*'s but more than enough to do the subjects i wanted to do. I suggest if you want to get the A's/A*'s just revise a bit everyday on each subject. Make a good revison plan and stick to it and do past papers. In each subject i just did 30 mins a day i could of done more and done even better but meh.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh ****!! i'm doing GCSE's this year too, and i'm panicking as well. I think I will start revising in few weeks, probably not before half term though, only because I've cruised my way through the last two years and know nothing. When you think about it, it's january... exams start in may... you don't want to start now and get so sick of revision that when it's necessary you can't be ****** to do any, that happened to my cousin and she regrets starting so early. personally i'm going to wait til like after half term

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my GCSE's this year too! I would advise you to start in the February half term, as I am too!
    Exams start in May, so don't rush your revision, 1hour sessions or 50 minute sessions are fine, and take a break too!

I did my science and citizenship GCSE in year 10, last year, and I started revision way early then most people and I did little revision before the exam. I managed to get an A* in both. Most people stress on the last day or two over the exam, but i didn't - because I had revised early!

It is good you are thinking about revising now.

Best Of Luck!

ReputationRep:
    First of all - it's not pathetic to worry! I did my GCSEs last year, and I was panicking so much about them, it seems ridiculous now.

I'd advise starting as early as possible - this time last year, I was all "Oh yeah, I'm going to start revising at February half-term, that's a good time to start." Of course, half-term came and went, and I kept putting it off further and further, and then we got to Easter and the May exams weren't looking so far away after all...

Now, I did get mostly A*s/As (and a B!), even though I did start revising really late - so late that it was really more cramming than actual revising, lol, but I would honestly say that you should start revising asap, because leaving it late like I did was a really bad idea. That's not meant to panic you - in fact, it's the opposite! The earlier you start it, the less time you'll have to do closer to the exams. Think about it - you start doing 40 minutes a night every night from now until Easter, and there will be a lot less that you need to cover in the period close to the exams.

However, start at Easter, and you'll be facing hours every night to get those A*s/As - do you see why it's better to start earlier, on the basis of time alone? Never mind the stress that you'll miss out on just before the exam if you start soon. I think my blood pressure went up to dangerous levels because I hadn't put the earlier work in, lol. The earlier you start, the calmer you'll be in the days up to the exams.

It's great that you're thinking about starting revision now - at this stage a lot of people really aren't bothered, but you seem to be taking it seriously =]

Also - a tip: past papers are your best friend. Seriously. A lot of subjects tend to repeat similar questions each year (especially Maths and Add. Maths!), so the more practice you get at exam-type questions, the better.

Best of luck! =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehopefuldoctor)
    First of all - it's not pathetic to worry! I did my GCSEs last year, and I was panicking so much about them, it seems ridiculous now.

I'd advise starting as early as possible - this time last year, I was all "Oh yeah, I'm going to start revising at February half-term, that's a good time to start." Of course, half-term came and went, and I kept putting it off further and further, and then we got to Easter and the May exams weren't looking so far away after all...

Now, I did get mostly A*s/As (and a B!), even though I did start revising really late - so late that it was really more cramming than actual revising, lol, but I would honestly say that you should start revising asap, because leaving it late like I did was a really bad idea. That's not meant to panic you - in fact, it's the opposite! The earlier you start it, the less time you'll have to do closer to the exams. Think about it - you start doing 40 minutes a night every night from now until Easter, and there will be a lot less that you need to cover in the period close to the exams.

However, start at Easter, and you'll be facing hours every night to get those A*s/As - do you see why it's better to start earlier, on the basis of time alone? Never mind the stress that you'll miss out on just before the exam if you start soon. I think my blood pressure went up to dangerous levels because I hadn't put the earlier work in, lol. The earlier you start, the calmer you'll be in the days up to the exams.

It's great that you're thinking about starting revision now - at this stage a lot of people really aren't bothered, but you seem to be taking it seriously =]

Also - a tip: past papers are your best friend. Seriously. A lot of subjects tend to repeat similar questions each year (especially Maths and Add. Maths!), so the more practice you get at exam-type questions, the better.

Best of luck! =]

Thanks so much for your reply - really helped. I'm going to start my revision tomorrow.. as I have three pages of food tech coursework to do tonight. I'm going to work my way through CGP, start learning my german orals and do loads of past papers. I've just recieved my mock results and am excited at the result - 2 weeks of cramming like hell at xmas = all As and 2 high Bs. It's made me more optimistic as I'm looking for mainly A*s and As so I now know what I need to do! You're answer was great, thanks a lot and I wish you luck in your future exams too X

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing GCSE's aswell i've already started revising, but i'm not sure if it's even worth calling it that; i just go through things quickly most nights, and make sure i understand it, i haven't actually sat down and done two hours revision, which i'm going to start doing in a few weeks. first though i'm just making sure understand it, before i move on to doing the actual practice exam papers and stuff.

To be honest, it works really well! i'm doing much better in lessons, and it's starting to stick in my head! just 10 minutes a night is all i've been doing soon i'll start getting right into it and revising like mad though maybe you should try it :P it works for me, but everyone is different

ReputationRep:
    I started revising around April, I always said I'd start sooner, but I'm not sure what happened :p:
    It's not pathetic to worry, it just shows you care and want to do well. For the moment, try to sort out what you need to revise, perhaps make a timetable and just ensure your coursework is finished.
    If you don't understand anything, try to get your teacher to go through it.
    Don't worry too much about revising now, but if you want to do some, don't do too much.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

i'm doing GCSEs this year also.

starting this weekend with little bits on the main subjects that i need to do.

last year (for my core science) i did no revision and got two As and two Bs.

that taught me!

but i just didn't try for my mocks either, and i got nearly all Bs!

i was so frustrated.

but now i'm turning that frustration into revision! yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Going_To_California)
    I started revising around April, I always said I'd start sooner, but I'm not sure what happened :p:
    It's not pathetic to worry, it just shows you care and want to do well. For the moment, try to sort out what you need to revise, perhaps make a timetable and just ensure your coursework is finished.
    If you don't understand anything, try to get your teacher to go through it.
    Don't worry too much about revising now, but if you want to do some, don't do too much.

thanks yeah good idea.
    I have dossed around the majority of my school career and now want to do well - and mocks have kind of spurred me on. Well done on your GCSE grades, they're excellent- I'd love to achieve your grades! How many hours a day did you revise in April and the lead up to your exams?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my GCSEs now aswell, and I've just today started my revision, I've got a timetable going so I know the information and there's no "cramming" days before the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sniffany)
    thanks yeah good idea.
    I have dossed around the majority of my school career and now want to do well - and mocks have kind of spurred me on. Well done on your GCSE grades, they're excellent- I'd love to achieve your grades! How many hours a day did you revise in April and the lead up to your exams?
    Thank you
    I did quite a lot of revision from April, as they were the first exams I'd done and I had no idea how much I was meant to be doing. I was mainly focusing on my French speaking for a decent portion of April, but kept doing some other subjects too.
    I honestly couldn't tell you how many hours I was doing, but I did quite a lot.
    People on here will tell you that GCSEs are easy in comparison to A Levels, and that's true, but at the time they're hard! So try not to be too discouraged by these comments :p:
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfgwills5)
    I'm doing my GCSEs now aswell, and I've just today started my revision, I've got a timetable going so I know the information and there's no "cramming" days before the exam!
    Cramming is inevitable :p:
    But don't do too much revision now, only a little bit each day or you'll be sick of it by the time exams come round.

ReputationRep:
    Past Papers

ReputationRep:
    I've got mocks in 2 weeks so I've started revising for them now. And I guess orals arent too long after them, got a Geography DME this friday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Going_To_California)
    Cramming is inevitable :p:
    But don't do too much revision now, only a little bit each day or you'll be sick of it by the time exams come round.
    Ok, thanks for the tip! I did just have exams that i Crammed for, i hated every second of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sniffany)
    Hey
    I wondered how many of you have started your GCSE revision yet? Or those who have already taken yours and recieved A*s/As.. when did you start? Any tips appretiated; I'm starting to get scared. (I know that's pretty pathetic..but i'm a worrier!)
    I've done maths, English language and literature, citizenship, core science and two i.t thingys.

For maths I did bits over a three week period.

For the rest (excluding i.t as that was all cw ) I crammed the day before .

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.