Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much better is your university course than A Levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    I hate A levels. They're awful; they make the most interesting subjects dull and painful. Is university any better? If it isn't, there's no way I'm going. Especially Engish Lit: I never thought I'd never thought reading Victorian fiction would cause me so much pain.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that depends on what you find awful about it and what would make it better...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It isn't. A-Levels were, without question, more fun and more interesting. Hopefully, though, things will pick up next Monday seeing as the second semester starts then.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the modules that are offered on a particular degree course. Some are compulsory but others are optional so you get the choice of choosing those that interest you most. The depth of reading is also dependent on your course guidelines and assessment so make sure you read university prospectuses carefully and attend any open days you can! This is 3/4 years of your life!

ReputationRep:
    i dunnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo

ReputationRep:
    danno

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's different, but for me university reignited my love for English Literature and writing. I hated A-Levels too, found them extremely tedious, and felt like I was being taught how to pass exams rather than how to appreciate poetry or novels. I also hated the classroom environment and used to daydream for the entire hour. I comparison, I usually find degree-level seminars to be really lively and thought-provoking, and then the good thing is you can go away and engage with a text on your own terms, in your own time.

So I'd say that if you once loved Eng Lit and found that A-Levels sucked the life out of it, it might still be worth giving uni a go. Maybe try spending a year in employment or travelling beforehand (but keep reading for fun!), so that you're ready to start afresh. It worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    I heard degree level is easier than A-level?
    Personally, I found A-Level more stressful and time-consuming but think that a degree nonethless demands a higher level of intelligence. You won't get a First by memorizing 'key points'.

It's only just getting better. The first year of my course (Politics) was essentially the A Level all over again, and I felt really uncommitted to going to seminars or lectures because I already knew the stuff being taught. Now I'm in second year, I'm motivated to doing the work and attending all my lectures on seminars

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on the course doesn't it.

ReputationRep:
    A Levels kind of ruined History for me (was thinking of doing it as a degree in AS year) so I know how you feel...I am applying for Eng Lit based degrees and seeing as you are given more freedom on what you study they should be more enjoyable. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Personally, mine is 100% better.

I loathed A-levels and the school environment. It didn't ever feel like I was there to learn, it felt like I was being taught how to pass exams. At uni I'm here for the knowledge and if anything come along as a result of it then wonderful but uni doesn't feel as much like a means to an end as A-levels did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    Degree's a doss compared to A levels...
    What the **** do you study?

First year, by any chance?

I've found that compared to A-level, uni has less "stress periods", but the work is significantly harder at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I prefered the academic side of things during A levels. You could just skim over the surface and have a little taster of all the interesting breakthroughs and discoveries everyone had made in the subject. In uni you have to understand every little inane detail about everything.

But the independence, sense of adventure, new friends etc makes up for all the boring lectures you have to sit through and essays you have to write. Plus going to uni is by far the simplest way to increase your career prospects and all that shizz.

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels was a two year long tedious experience for me. Like other posts I too disliked the classroom environment. A Level English Literature completely butchered my interest for novels & poetry, it was just a dreadful exercise.

University was more challenging of course! But it was more a fun experience nonetheless. I actually felt that everything I studies had a direct application to something in the 'real world.' ALevels just felt like a means to get to University and nothing more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    I heard degree level is easier than A-level?
    Not a chance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    well since im doing economics ill compare it to that. its alot more interesting however it depends on what you enjoy, its more mathematical which i probably find to be the most interesting aspect, it also goes alot deeper into topics and isnt just 'this = that' 'take that to be correct' i.e. you start forming you own views on things. however id say that if you hated it at A level you will at degree level

ReputationRep:
    to all those people saying a degree is easier than a level - in the sense that you only have one subject to focus on then yeh. but there is way more work and some of it can be sooooo tedious! your coursework will become a normal weekly assigment but you dont even realise how much your work load has increased. mainly because you spend far lesss time actually in uni = more time to finish worlk

ReputationRep:
    God I hate it when people say a degree's a doss compared to A-level! It's not, although it is subject-dependent. What's been said is correct: it's 'easier' in the sense that if you study maths, for example, your mind is always geared towards maths as you don't break it up with humanities study. But there are different subjects within each degree course, for example for Physics there'd be quantum physics, electromagnetism, mechanics, astrophysics, environmental... so it's not quite "only one subject", but I get the point.

It's a lot more interesting than A level, as I've chosen to study the subject I found the most interesting, without 'bulking up' my subjects for 3/4 A levels. However the level of difficulty is higher, which is good as it's challenging, but tiring! OP if you choose your course carefully, you should find it much more engaging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    God I hate it when people say a degree's a doss compared to A-level! It's not, although it is subject-dependent. What's been said is correct: it's 'easier' in the sense that if you study maths, for example, your mind is always geared towards maths as you don't break it up with humanities study. But there are different subjects within each degree course, for example for Physics there'd be quantum physics, electromagnetism, mechanics, astrophysics, environmental... so it's not quite "only one subject", but I get the point.
    You can do that in A-levels too, though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.