Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have a choice: history degree at essex uni or law degree at brunel- what are your initial thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seank)
    i have a choice: history degree at essex uni or law degree at brunel- what are your initial thoughts?
    What do you wish to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seank)
    Well i'm applying for a law degree so i'm gonna be biased and say law...

Honestly tho....with as little bias as possible involved...I would still say law.

History might be more interesting (or not...i have no idea what a degree in it would be like)....but law can lead to careers not only in law...but politics, management..busines...loads of things. I'd say law just cos it keeps ur options open...

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    History might be more interesting (or not...i have no idea what a degree in it would be like)....but law can lead to careers not only in law...but politics, management..busines...loads of things. I'd say law just cos it keeps ur options open...

G
    As could History. Infact I think that History would be better for keeping your options open. And then you can do a post-grad in Law if you wished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    As could History. Infact I think that History would be better for keeping your options open. And then you can do a post-grad in Law if you wished.
    True..but i've been told that law is one of the most respected degrees available...in addition to that...i think it would be a lot more interesting than history...cos the stuff u'd learn about would be 'socially, politically and economically relevant' and 'law is a very diverse subject'...lines from my interview...lol

G

ReputationRep:
    True..but i've been told that law is one of the most respected degrees available...in addition to that...i think it would be a lot more interesting than history...cos the stuff u'd learn about would be 'socially, politically and economically relevant' and 'law is a very diverse subject'...lines from my interview...lol

G
    I suppose they are both respected subjects depending on what you want to do And both very diverse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I suppose they are both respected subjects depending on what you want to do And both very diverse.
    Yeah...i agree with that...so in answer to the original question...i'd go with whatever u'd feel most comfortable with doing. If u'd prefer to learn law..then do that...if ur more interested in history...do that instead.

Hope this mini-debate helps...

G

ReputationRep:
    hey cheers guys , i'm still undecided. i think becoz i've done history at gcse and alevel i know more what to expect than law. but law is mayb more respected but harder as i dont know much about it. i guess it's better the devil you know..!

ReputationRep:
    i would definetely say history at essex. law is only a "more respected" degree if it is taken at one of the top universities (oxbridge + russell group), it will not carry a lot of weight with employers if taken at less prestgious institutions. this is maninly because there are so many people doing law degrees that companies have to "filter" out the less presitgious ones.

essex is a more respected uni that brunel and i would defintely adise you to study history there....if you want to go into law you can just do a CPE and the employers will find you breadth of knolwedge attractive.

ReputationRep:
    i am doing law at alevel and i hate it, absolutely rubbish, history is so much more interesting, challenging and relevant to other subjects and current affairs

if you want to be a lawyer then i dont see how doing law is better than history other that doing history makes it more expensive, as it means an extra year of studying (but even if you do a law degree, its another 2 or 3 years before you can qualify as a barrister or solicitor).

my bias against law is apparent, yes, but please think about this as as the other peson mentioned history gives you better options (and anyway, you're 18, dont start worrying about emplyment propsepcts and that **** yet) - law is very hard work at uni, books are expensive and the work is unrewarding...after all how many people read law books who ARENT studying law...but loads of non historians read simon schama and other's stuff.

my the way, i will not be doing history at uni (economics instead) but i know historians and respect them, intelligent people, law is dull

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm are u sure ur not telling me not to do law to eliminate the competition?-- jks! ur in a higher league than me my friends. yep history is probably more interesting but what can u be apart from a historian etc.? i'm not sure of the options. but cheers mateys is good to hear ur views!

ReputationRep:
    hey ive got an offer from brunel to do law aswell- BBB.

ReputationRep:
    do history- i'm not biased or anything

ReputationRep:
    y's that mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seank)
    Hmmm are u sure ur not telling me not to do law to eliminate the competition?-- jks! ur in a higher league than me my friends. yep history is probably more interesting but what can u be apart from a historian etc.? i'm not sure of the options. but cheers mateys is good to hear ur views!

A history degree can lead to many jobs where analytical skills, clarity of written expression and a sharp mind are all valuable qualities - a history degree does not necessarily mean your sole career option is to be a historian! (just like a law degree doesn't mean you have no choice but to become a lawyer)

ReputationRep:
    thats a good answer. thank you.

ReputationRep:
    history has greater options than law (note the skills gained in above post), could always move into law afterwards

ReputationRep:
    ok, fair enough. just outta interest what u applying to do mate?

ReputationRep:

G
    Lots of people think the best way now is to do a non-law degree then convert to law.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.