Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"Train Tracks" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i am nearly 18 and will soon be getting a fixed brace (the attractive metal ones) after being on the waiting list for 3 years. i just wondered if anybody had experiences of having braces at my age and how you coped with it? also, are there any ways in which you can make it less obvious? apparently i can choose colours for the bands, which are the best to have and best to avoid? and if you have any tips on keeping the treatment time to a minimum?

apologies for all the questions, the orthodontist isn't particularly helpful or sympathetic to the fact that i am petrified of having them!

ReputationRep:
    i have fixed brace on bottom only, got them aged 16 and am now 17 and hopefully getting off next month
    haven't really had any problems with it, its reasonably unnoticeable
    avoid white as it makes your teeth look yellow, otherwise i dont think the colours make too much difference - i chose grey just just to blend in with rest of brace

dont worry about it, in the end you'll have perfect teeth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueapple_star)
    i have fixed brace on bottom only, got them aged 16 and am now 17 and hopefully getting off next month
    haven't really had any problems with it, its reasonably unnoticeable
    avoid white as it makes your teeth look yellow, otherwise i dont think the colours make too much difference - i chose grey just just to blend in with rest of brace

dont worry about it, in the end you'll have perfect teeth
    grey sounds like a good choice :yep: i think i might go for that one.
    is it right that you can't eat certain foods and things like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bringmesunshine)
    i avoid at all costs thick fudge and toffee and stuff like that as it can be a NIGHTMARE to get out, and it feels awful when you've got something stuck in it...
    i was told to avoid fizzy drinks - that lasted about 2 days!!

ReputationRep:
    You can't have chewing gum, but that's about it, if I remember correctly. My best friend had them, and that was the case with her, at least.

ReputationRep:
    I got mine the month before I turned 18 (fixed brace top and bottom) and I should be getting them off around Easter this year (I'll be 19 in March). I felt a bit self-conscious for a while but I don't really think about them now, only when I can't eat something haha. Avoid cous cous at all costs, it's a nightmare.

As for the colours, mine are all metal, I don't have any bands at all - all I can suggest is not to go for white as they'll make your teeth look yellow-ish.

Don't worry about it, I thought I'd be the only one at Uni with them and I've seen plenty of people about who have them, some older than me

ReputationRep:
    Eugh why do people use such lame nicknames for things they wanna talk about. Braces aren't a big deal anyway, I think some girls look kinda cute with them but hey, I'm weird.

ReputationRep:
    they say you cant have chewing gum and toffee and pork scratchings and cola but you can. you can all the things you had before, just brush your teeth twice a day like any human does and you'll be fine.

I had to go about ever 6 weeks so when Halloween was coming up a got orange and black rubber bands, and if I was going somewhere and knew what i was wearing I got them to match. They do have clear bands though but at the end of the day people are going to notice them - you may as well use them as an accessory

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, some guys like ladies with braces.

ReputationRep:
    Girls are uglier with braces. Guys who say otherwise are trying to manipulate your insecurities.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I've had braces for the majority of my life, I'm now 21 and have a fixed brace on my upper 5-5 (not got braces on any molar teeth, which is AMAZING).

For fast treatement, just take care of your braces. If they say don't eat apples, don't eat apples (unless you cut them up). It is likely that a bracket will fall off at some time during your treatment, but as long as you get it seen to as soon as possible it wont hold your treatment back by long.

As far as colours go, I'd stick with silver. Yellow looks dirty, pink/red looks like you have unhealthy gums, green can look like stuck food. Purple or blue is probably the best if you're desperate for colours though.

Hope this helps, I really love anything to do with teeth. If you have any other questions about braces, fire away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mio)
    If it helps, some guys like ladies with braces.
    Some guys like scat as well

They're very unattractive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello Laura!)
    Hello! I've had braces for the majority of my life, I'm now 21 and have a fixed brace on my upper 5-5 (not got braces on any molar teeth, which is AMAZING).

For fast treatement, just take care of your braces. If they say don't eat apples, don't eat apples (unless you cut them up). It is likely that a bracket will fall off at some time during your treatment, but as long as you get it seen to as soon as possible it wont hold your treatment back by long.

As far as colours go, I'd stick with silver. Yellow looks dirty, pink/red looks like you have unhealthy gums, green can look like stuck food. Purple or blue is probably the best if you're desperate for colours though.

Hope this helps, I really love anything to do with teeth. If you have any other questions about braces, fire away!
    this may sound really silly but i am really worried about starting university with them, do people really take that much notice of them? and i have heard that you can't have marshmallows, is this true? marshmallows are my favourite

ReputationRep:
    i am nearly 18 and will soon be getting a fixed brace (the attractive metal ones) after being on the waiting list for 3 years. i just wondered if anybody had experiences of having braces at my age and how you coped with it? also, are there any ways in which you can make it less obvious? apparently i can choose colours for the bands, which are the best to have and best to avoid? and if you have any tips on keeping the treatment time to a minimum?

apologies for all the questions, the orthodontist isn't particularly helpful or sympathetic to the fact that i am petrified of having them!
    hey, i have just had fixed braces put on and im the same age as you. at first it bothered me, but after a while you just forget they are there unless you are conciously thinking about them (like i am now). im lucky that so many people in my 6th form have braces so its not a big deal. it shouldnt be for you either even if very few others in your 6th form have braces.

ReputationRep:
    this may sound really silly but i am really worried about starting university with them, do people really take that much notice of them? and i have heard that you can't have marshmallows, is this true? marshmallows are my favourite
    No one cares. At all. The only person who cares is you.

There are actually so many people my age and slightly younger in uni with braces and it makes absolutely no difference.

I'm actually on placement in a school at the moment too, and none of the kids have mentioned them or commented on them, they're just used to seeing me with them so it makes no difference.

And you can definitely eat marshmallows!:woo: They're amazing, I eat far too many. They don't tend to get stuck. But you know what does? Wotsits. Mmmm, orange teeth, lovely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello Laura!)
    No one cares. At all. The only person who cares is you.

There are actually so many people my age and slightly younger in uni with braces and it makes absolutely no difference.

I'm actually on placement in a school at the moment too, and none of the kids have mentioned them or commented on them, they're just used to seeing me with them so it makes no difference.

And you can definitely eat marshmallows! They're amazing, I eat far too many. They don't tend to get stuck. But you know what does? Wotsits. Mmmm, orange teeth, lovely!
    ahhh that's what i was most worried about
    at least i can still have marshmallows in my hot chocolate then :woo:
    ooo wotsits, i will avoid them then.
    i think once i get used to them i will be fine :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, my 27 year old sister has fixed braces. You don't really notice them that much. Haha, wotsits are definitely a no-go area though...

ReputationRep:
    awww dont worry! girls in braces always look really pretty!

ReputationRep:

Well I'm 19 and (hopefully) will have my braces off soon after what's heading towards 4 years. It's a bit of a pain because you feel you shouldn't still be wearing braces when you're going out to clubs, but honestly no one really tends to notice/care.

You should bear in mind they will probably hurt a bit at first but you will get used to it, then it only hurts when they are tightened. So you might want to stick to softish foods for a few days to stop yourself from getting toothache.

Secondly, to keep treatment time to a minimum, avoid things like toffee, crusty bread - things that are hard to chew basically. I mean you can have them, just be careful. I broke my braces quite a lot to start with and I reckon it was because of refusing to stop eating crusty bread.

With colours, it depends whether you want to make the braces, like, an extension of your 'fashion' (sounds ridiculous I know) or keep it low key. I mean, I've had bright pink before, which stands out but I also tend to have dark blue alot because..well, it doesn't. Like others have said, avoid white. And I avoid orange too for that reason.

Plus, ask your orthodontist questions if he isn't very helpful, it's useful to know how everything is going and mine will tell me what he's doing/planning while he looks at my teeth (and then somehow expects me to answer while his hands are in my mouth, but that's a different problem :p: )

Gosh, sorry for the essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    Well I'm 19 and (hopefully) will have my braces off soon after what's heading towards 4 years. It's a bit of a pain because you feel you shouldn't still be wearing braces when you're going out to clubs, but honestly no one really tends to notice/care.

You should bear in mind they will probably hurt a bit at first but you will get used to it, then it only hurts when they are tightened. So you might want to stick to softish foods for a few days to stop yourself from getting toothache.

Secondly, to keep treatment time to a minimum, avoid things like toffee, crusty bread - things that are hard to chew basically. I mean you can have them, just be careful. I broke my braces quite a lot to start with and I reckon it was because of refusing to stop eating crusty bread.

With colours, it depends whether you want to make the braces, like, an extension of your 'fashion' (sounds ridiculous I know) or keep it low key. I mean, I've had bright pink before, which stands out but I also tend to have dark blue alot because..well, it doesn't. Like others have said, avoid white. And I avoid orange too for that reason.

Plus, ask your orthodontist questions if he isn't very helpful, it's useful to know how everything is going and mine will tell me what he's doing/planning while he looks at my teeth (and then somehow expects me to answer while his hands are in my mouth, but that's a different problem )

Gosh, sorry for the essay.
    essays are good :yep: thankyou for your help. i will add crusty bread to my list in that case, i've started a list of things i should avoid to refer to if i'm ever not sure about something :o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.