Turn on thread page Beta

"Train Tracks" watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bringmesunshine)
    i am nearly 18 and will soon be getting a fixed brace (the attractive metal ones) after being on the waiting list for 3 years. i just wondered if anybody had experiences of having braces at my age and how you coped with it? also, are there any ways in which you can make it less obvious? apparently i can choose colours for the bands, which are the best to have and best to avoid? and if you have any tips on keeping the treatment time to a minimum?

apologies for all the questions, the orthodontist isn't particularly helpful or sympathetic to the fact that i am petrified of having them!
    I had them a month before my 18th birthday and I was soo scared llike you. They dont hurt that much, but take painkillers and rub bonjela on your gums because they will ache for 2-3 days when you first have them on and every time they're tightened. Make sure you eat before you have them on or soon after because your teeth will be too sore to eat anything hard!
    I learned to talk without showing them and people didnt even realise i had them most of the time, you get to pick colours everytime they put a new wire on, every 6-8 weeks, I got the "dusky blue" everytime and they make your teeth look white, dont get a pale colour or white because they'll make your teeth look yellow and pale colours will fade. You cant really do anything to make it take less time, but I was told mine would take 18 months and they were only on for about 6!
    After a while I just forgot I had them and you will too, you just forget about them, they do make you look a little younger, just practice smiling without showing your teeth, and also! when you have them off WEAR your retainer!! Because I didnt wear it and my teeth have a gap again
    But seriously, its so worth it, you just forget how to smile by the time you get them off!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and I have braces They sometimes make me feel quite self-conscious but then so did my teeth before I got the braces! You've just got to think about how lovely your teeth are gunna look after you've had your treatment! You really don't need to worry as they really aren't a big deal and not as noticable as you may think

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and have braces, mine are just normal metal coloured...to begin with I was really self concsious but I think everyone's used to them and nobody says anything...I quite like them now

You're supposed to avod toffees/chewing gum etc but I manage alright. The only thing I seem to struggle with is reall nice, crunchy apples, I have to slice those up.

ReputationRep:
    I know this may sound shallow, but do you think a guy would be put off a girl with braces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I know this may sound shallow, but do you think a guy would be put off a girl with braces?
    Some are, some aren't and others have fetishes for this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I've had "train track" braces, I was 14 though so a bit different from you. I don't think they are particularly unattractive, they are hardly uncommon, even in 18 year olds.

I found that drinking cherryade caused the colours to come off the little rubber bands so I avoided that afterwards. I didn't have chewing gum either as it kept getting stuck, and I didn't dare try hard toffees or anything like that in case they broke.

Trust me, they'll be worth it when they are off and you have lovely teeth for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and got my braces a few weeks after my 17th Birthday, I still have them on. To be honest, I hate them, but I guess I'm used to them.
    Sorry, I know that's not very helpful ):
    But I can recommend soup, I've lost some weight because I can't eat certain things, it's great!
    Plus someone recommended marshmallows? Yes yes! I usually treat myself to a hot chocolate (: with loads in it.

ReputationRep:
    I have them and I'm 18!

I just went for full metal braces because they're hilarious. Comedy gold, they are. Also the orthodontist, as a 'brilliant' joke, said, 'We can do black and yellow if you like so you can have a bumblebee brace!' and I was like 'HAHAHAHA ummmm no.'

I've not broken my braces because I've avoided anything breaky like the PLAGUE. I'm scared of biting anything crunchy or hard or sticky, and I was told to avoid biting into apples at all costs. I also break ALL my food into pieces and put them into my mouth behind my teeth so that I don't have to bite anything off using my bracey teeth. Including bananas. Looks so rank but stops things from getting stuck and looking disgusting!

Orthondontic bands, despite being the bane of my life in a way, are actually quite nice to wear after a while. My mouth feels weird without them nowadays! I wore two in bed the other night, and it felt so deliciously tight. I just have the standard bands too, as I don't want anything fussy. Also they might clash with my outfit

Braces are actually alright. I like playing up to the geek chic thing in a way! Good luck with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    I have them and I'm 18!

I just went for full metal braces because they're hilarious. Comedy gold, they are. Also the orthodontist, as a 'brilliant' joke, said, 'We can do black and yellow if you like so you can have a bumblebee brace!' and I was like 'HAHAHAHA ummmm no.'

I've not broken my braces because I've avoided anything breaky like the PLAGUE. I'm scared of biting anything crunchy or hard or sticky, and I was told to avoid biting into apples at all costs. I also break ALL my food into pieces and put them into my mouth behind my teeth so that I don't have to bite anything off using my bracey teeth. Including bananas. Looks so rank but stops things from getting stuck and looking disgusting!

Orthondontic bands, despite being the bane of my life in a way, are actually quite nice to wear after a while. My mouth feels weird without them nowadays! I wore two in bed the other night, and it felt so deliciously tight. I just have the standard bands too, as I don't want anything fussy. Also they might clash with my outfit

Braces are actually alright. I like playing up to the geek chic thing in a way! Good luck with them!
    that really made me laugh (:
    i am feeling so much better about them now!

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend has a brace at 20 and should be off when he's 21, but he was vain and got an invisible one.

I was supposed to have one for 8 months and it ended up on for 3 years. I'm the current world record holder for how many times I broke my brace apparently, ahahaaa.

Though tbh apart from the first time you see someone with braces you reeeally don't notice them. Basically all my friends had/have braces and you honestly don't notice it EVER

ReputationRep:
    A girl at school said to me today "have you always had braces miss?", 8 and a half weeks into my placement. So I don't think they're noticible at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation to you I guess OP. I had Invisalign treatment and at first I thought 'oh this is great' until my teeth stopped moving because there was no space in my mouth for them to move to! The Invisalign trays just simply weren't exerting enough pressure on the teeth either for much to happen in my case. My orthodontist practice at that time were absolutely awful though so I'm not surprised I got strung along in a sense. I did get a full refund although that wasn't really what I wanted in the sense that my teeth still weren't straight.

I have a new orthodontist now and the first thing he suggested was that in actual fact a conventional fixed appliance and then a fixed retainer afterwards would be the best option. Naturally I too was a little unsure what to think because I am already 18, out of 6th form and well past the stage where any of my friends too have braces. To be honest though I have now taken the view that wearing braces doesn't last a lifetime, it's a year of perhaps being in a slightly compromised position and effectively at the end the result will hopefully be all positive. My appliance will be clear/ceramic, when I get it on within the next couple of weeks, so in terms of the look I probably can't advise too well. But I'd tend to agree with those who said go for grey because it's a pretty neutral and muted colour.

In terms of an unhelpful orthodontist - just ask plenty of questions. You could even write out a list of all the things you want to cover and take it along. Just nicely ask if they'd mind taking a look at the list and perhaps discussing any worries with you. After all that is what they're being paid to do - offer you the best possible treatment whilst keeping you informed!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.