Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've already given Statistics 1 and got an A in that but our school doesn't teach S2 so I'm now forced to do Mechanics. We've covered almost the entire syllabus and I've not understood any topic we've done so far except for the speed and velocity stuff. I don't take Physics at A Level and didn't take it at the GCSE level as well, which doesn't help either.

I've tried learning from the examples in the book buts its just not working.

So what should I do?:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Practice like a mother and then practice 74 times as much.

:yy:

ReputationRep:
    eat isaac newton

ReputationRep:
    Well actually I was in a pretty similar situation last year with regards to Stats but that was really only because we didn't have a proper Stats teacher till February.

Doing lots of exercises is useful. I did every question in the Heinemann textbooks and did alright on the exam.

ReputationRep:
    That's because M1 is *******s. That's why you don't get it. You need to just do lots of past paper questions and you'll release that no matter how much you practice you'll never be able to break into a high A.

Modelling? Modelling? Why don't they just call the ****ing exam 'Modelling from lots of ****ing data.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manutdfan145)
    Well actually I was in a pretty similar situation last year with regards to Stats but that was really only because we didn't have a proper Stats teacher till February.
    cool story brah

ReputationRep:
    strnage, everyone who does well in stats does badly in mechanics, and vice versa, with me i did amazingly in mechanics, and awfully in stats O_o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewk)
    strnage, everyone who does well in stats does badly in mechanics, and vice versa, with me i did amazingly in mechanics, and awfully in stats O_o
    0_0 I got 98 in M1 and 95 in M2. I just finished my S1 paper last week...I hope I dont get bad. I felt it went pretty well :P Although I hate statistics.

Oh and OP, Mechanics just clicks for me, everything is logical. So if you need any help, ask me..i'll try my best :P

ReputationRep:
    Right do you draw a MAHOOOSIVE diagram?
    This made it so much easier when i was struggling
    Draw really big force lines and dotted component lines

And never aim for the answer, just let it fall out
    Ridiculous as this seems it's true
    Just resolve, resolve, resolve and the answer will just appear in front of you!

ReputationRep:
    I never liked that either, but it gets better the more you do it.
    Force it into your head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manutdfan145)
    I've already given Statistics 1 and got an A in that but our school doesn't teach S2 so I'm now forced to do Mechanics. We've covered almost the entire syllabus and I've not understood any topic we've done so far except for the speed and velocity stuff. I don't take Physics at A Level and didn't take it at the GCSE level as well, which doesn't help either.

I've tried learning from the examples in the book buts its just not working.

So what should I do?:woo:
    try D1, its piss easy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just practice.....it worked for me, I got 89 M1 & 71 M2 = average A in mechanics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mac29)
    try D1, its piss easy.
    This for sure. Although as far as maths is concerned, D1 is nothing like 'proper' maths. I self teach mechanics and what works for me is just going throught the basic concepts, and drilling them into my head with exam questions, textbooks questions and examples. Having said that, lets see how it goes in June :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    0_0 I got 98 in M1 and 95 in M2. I just finished my S1 paper last week...I hope I dont get bad. I felt it went pretty well :P Although I hate statistics.

Oh and OP, Mechanics just clicks for me, everything is logical. So if you need any help, ask me..i'll try my best :P
    i got 98 in M1 too!

... and 52 in statistics

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.