The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Apotheosis
How fallacious, you assert that just because this kind of thing would happen without religion means that religion does not contribute to it. Damn, your reasoning is bad.

Of course, in this instance, the religion has contributed to it. If religion didn't exist it'd surely still happen for some other reasons, but in this instance the religion no doubt had some effect.

And where is your reasoning? Please do tell more of this contribution, rather than merely assert that there is a contribution.
Reply 181
MJlover
why on earth cant she or he enjoy sex through marriage? Is that such a hard thing? Presuming she/he is not forced to marry some minger, but anyways forced marriage isn't valid according to Islam anyways, but yeah its not that hard to not be promisciuos. Have a bit of self control.

Promiscuity has absolutely no negative side-effect on society with contraception now widespread.

Give anyone a good reason to "have a bit of self control".
Reply 182
The 'elders' were given responsibility because theyre, well, elder. They misused it and interpreted a religion in their own way. Age is meant to come with wisdom but here (and in a lot of other cases) it didnt. Dont blame the religion, blame the people that make it up. Religion is so vague you can go by the book, it has to be interpreted by the person.
There's no proof this happened.

That said, I do sympathise with the poor girl if she did indeed suffer this terrible attack.

I think we should start treating muslims like that. I will be voting BNP this years, and for the rest of my life. I may even join the BNP at some point. Its a shame the nazis were so selfish, I mean they could have executed all of the muslims also, what were they thinking of? Shame they didn't win the war actually.
Reply 185
Reply 186
Reply 187
Avesta
Promiscuity has absolutely no negative side-effect on society with contraception now widespread.

Give anyone a good reason to "have a bit of self control".

Erm maybe so they can raise a decent family with decent kids who will grow up to form a good society.

Fact is sex before marriage is totally primitive and immoral.
ahnaf.c

HDS spoke of the inequality of women in religion, particularly Islam.

Not particularly Islam. As per above Islam bothers me more ONLY because it hasn't grown out of it's annoying teenager phase like *most* christian groupings have.

The Abrahamic religions as a whole have deep-rooted issues and incredible sexism thanks the their patriarchal nature.

WRT Islam specifically and sexism..... if a woman doesn't like/love her husband anymore, can she divorce him without his consent? If no then don't even bother because that right there speaks miles.
Wow, the world is so messed up.
Reply 190
Apotheosis
I don't want to get married. It's my body, and I can do what I want with it. I expect others to do the same.

well, muslims dont really give a damn about non muslim sexual ethics, but if you're gonna be a muslim, dont just be by name. Actually practice it.
Reply 191
Apotheosis
Nah, I'm enlightened and progressive and those people against casual sex are backwards and reactionary. Moral subjectivism is so stupid. They've simply made fatal errors in logic to make me regard them so negatively.

You are backward and have a very primitive way of thinking, yes, just like the cavemen who had no concept of marriage.

Go live in a cave you primitive barbarian.

This is how they are thinking about you.
Reply 192
HDS
Not particularly Islam. As per above Islam bothers me more ONLY because it hasn't grown out of it's annoying teenager phase like *most* christian groupings have.

The Abrahamic religions as a whole have deep-rooted issues and incredible sexism thanks the their patriarchal nature.

WRT Islam specifically and sexism..... if a woman doesn't like/love her husband anymore, can she divorce him without his consent? If no then don't even bother because that right there speaks miles.

yes the concept is called khul.
ahnaf.c
By far one of the most retarded arguments I'v ever come across. religion makes it a duty for parents to look after their children. Does that mean it's promoting gender inequality?
What a retarded logic.
The duty of women towards men and vice versa arises from the relationship, i.e. marriage. Even English, secular law raises some duties arising from relationships; be it contractual or blood.
Does that promote gender inequality?

A random woman of the street isnt being expected to take care of you.

:rolleyes:

Nice going taking it out of context.

The logic is perfectly fine if a gender has duties towards another gender be it through marriage or not then there is inequality. End of.
Reply 194
9a3iqa
Erm maybe so they can raise a decent family with decent kids who will grow up to form a good society.

Fact is sex before marriage is totally primitive and immoral.

What's stopping them from raising a "decent" family when they feel like it. In the meanwhile, they can have some fun.

And morality is subjective. It cannot be "fact".
Reply 195
Apotheosis
So you admit that your reasoning was fallacious?

My reasoning is that Islam's obsession with monogamy has evidently brought about a virginity cult.

How the **** is that an admission of poor reasoning? I'm questioning yours, not mine.

Ridiculous. By such logic, we'd have began whipping victims of rape a long time ago.
MJlover
yes the concept is called khul.

Curiousity got the best of me and I clicked on the wiki article.

According to it they cannot.

Care to disprove?
Oh btw - No polygamy for women but pologamy for men = inequality.
Reply 198
Avesta
What's stopping them from raising a "decent" family when they feel like it. In the meanwhile, they can have some fun.

And morality is subjective. It cannot be "fact".

Wow, did I actually read that correctly?

You cannot raise a serious family if your reason for having a relationship with somebody is to **** her/him.

People who want to raise a decent family marry. It shows that they are serious about a relationship. Nothing good can come from a casual relationship as it will bring morally casual kids.
Reply 199
HDS
Curiousity got the best of me and I clicked on the wiki article.

According to it they cannot.

Care to disprove?

[Khul' (خل&#1593:wink: is a measure that was introduced in Egypt in 2000 that allows a Muslim woman to divorce her husband. As a condition of the divorce, the woman renounces any financial claim on the husband and any entitlement to the matrimonial home.

Is this what you saw? No, a woman can divorce if her husband is being annoying about divorce, she goes to the imam and he must force her husband to accept it.

Latest

Trending

Trending