Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    well cutting bits and pieces out of sentences, yes. and getting advice from dodgy wahabis, yes.
    Ah, so when you quote from the Qu'ran it's 100% kosher (no pun intended) but when other people offer alternative quotes they are cherrypicking and taking it all out of context.

I see.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ce92)
    But Surely the (majority) religion of a country defines it culture
    no, some people completely ignore Islam for their culture laws in south-east asia

ReputationRep:
    "Her rapist was pardoned by the elders" - WTF?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ce92)
    Islam
    messed up people not islam there's nothing in islam that supports this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Christ on a cross - what's wrong with these people?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-pregnant.html
    Cultural Relativity innit?

They lash, we offer counseling. Who's to say whose method is superior?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Cultural Relativity innit?

They lash, we offer counseling. Who's to say whose method is superior?
    Anybody with a brain.

ReputationRep:
    was the one extra just for luck?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so when you quote from the Qu'ran it's 100% kosher (no pun intended) but when other people offer alternative quotes they are cherrypicking and taking it all out of context.

I see.:rolleyes:
    Right, I and the majority of scholars agree on that version, but we should respect some nazi child *who has said earlier that he wants to ressurect hitler to wipe out muslims* from TSR who obviously can give unbiased views on Islam?
    I see :rolleyes:

sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    Only in islam.

ReputationRep:
    Holy schmokes! What a different culture they have over that side of the world, compared to ours.

Oh well, it's not like we're welcoming these people in to our country in their hundreds of thousands every year, is it now, whilst at the same time having morons (National Union of Teachers, Trevor Phillips, the government etc) indoctrinating us that "we must respect all cultures equally in our multicultural society," or any such nonsense?......

Oh.....wait, no, that's right, we ARE...:mad:

ReputationRep:
    All you smart-ass liberal students can scoff and be disgusted by this.

But until you realise that you, and your multicultural values, are not only SUPPORTING this, but you are IMPORTING it into the UK, then I can find nothing in myself to stop from judging you as hypocrites and morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    To all the people so eager to criticize Islam, give me one way this is connected to my religion? Not even the imbeciles on TSR can say that Islam in anyway allows such acts of atrocities. Quite appalling that everything that happens in a so called Islamic country is automatically blamed on Islam.

Stories like these sell because that's what people want to read, same with all the Brangalina b*******. Neither story can be deemed newsworthy.
    I agree with you

No one blames all the horrific things Britain has done in the past on Christianity itself but backwards people and corrupt systems - this shouldn't be any different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    I agree with you

No one blames all the horrific things Britain has done in the past on Christianity itself but backwards people and corrupt systems - this shouldn't be any different.
    Actually there is a very, very long list of horrific things that Britain has done that I attribute directly to Christianity - as an example, one can only blame the teachings of the Bible on homosexuality for the death of one of the greatest minds of contemporary Britain, and one of the men who won the war for us - Alan Turing.

Secondly, you are an idiot if you think that the Islamic religion has not influenced the Islamic culture in Islamic countries.

Yes, you are right the Qur'an does not explicitly state that women should receive 101 lashes for being raped, and that their families should be fined or exiled... but the Qur'an DOES explicitly state the women are lower class levels of citizens (and lower class levels of human beings to boot), and OBVIOUSLY this value, taken from Islam, will enter Islamic culture and then snowball until we have this happening.

The Qur'an, and the Islamic religion is DIRECTLY responsible for the attitudes towards women in Islamic countries, and as a result, it is INDIRECTLY responsible for the specific treatment of women in cases like this.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I and the majority of scholars agree on that version, but we should respect some nazi child *who has said earlier that he wants to ressurect hitler to wipe out muslims* from TSR who obviously can give unbiased views on Islam?
    I see :rolleyes:

sarcasm
    What makes you and these so-called scholars any less biased if you're going to ignore all the nasty quotes in favor of the more reasoned ones? You're no less biased than he is.

ReputationRep:
    What makes you and these so-called scholars any less biased if you're going to ignore all the nasty quotes in favor of the more reasoned ones? You're no less biased than he is.
    no, since the qur'an is in my hand and I can see he's clearly wrong. Why on earth would I need to fabricate, many non muslims understand the meaning of these verses have been explained by many scholars, since they understand the context of it, such as the jewish historian Bernard Lewis. But obviously every historian, scholar, expert on Islamic studies is wrong and he is right...

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

Yes, people do stupid and cruel things to each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    People know she may have lied, but what we are questioning here is the way it was dealt with.
    If it's a false allegation of rape, then I agree wholeheartedly with the way it was dealt with. Hopefully she wasn't pregnant at the time though.
    The fact is I dunno if the rape happened or not, nor do I even know if the story is true or not, so I personally am not outraged. Nor am I a lump of wood like someone on the first page said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Actually there is a very, very long list of horrific things that Britain has done that I attribute directly to Christianity - as an example, one can only blame the teachings of the Bible on homosexuality for the death of one of the greatest minds of contemporary Britain, and one of the men who won the war for us - Alan Turing.

Secondly, you are an idiot if you think that the Islamic religion has not influenced the Islamic culture in Islamic countries.

Yes, you are right the Qur'an does not explicitly state that women should receive 101 lashes for being raped, and that their families should be fined or exiled... but the Qur'an DOES explicitly state the women are lower class levels of citizens (and lower class levels of human beings to boot), and OBVIOUSLY this value, taken from Islam, will enter Islamic culture and then snowball until we have this happening.

The Qur'an, and the Islamic religion is DIRECTLY responsible for the attitudes towards women in Islamic countries, and as a result, it is INDIRECTLY responsible for the specific treatment of women in cases like this.
    Influence is not the same as directly responsible for and of course there are teachings of most religions that can lead, through people inturpretation and the 'snow ball' effect, to horrible things but you cant then say 'x is evil.' People often use certain teachings to back up their own beliefs which is what leads to horrific events.

If you want to nit pick the Qur'an also often states that violence shouldn't be used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Influence is not the same as directly responsible for and of course there are teachings of most religions that can lead, through people inturpretation and the 'snow ball' effect, to horrible things but you cant then say 'x is evil.' People often use certain teachings to back up their own beliefs which is what leads to horrific events.

If you want to nit pick the Qur'an also often states that violence shouldn't be used.
    Here's a made up scenario.

Lawyer: "Timmy, why did you attack the little girl and rip out her eyeballs."
    Timmy: "Because my mummy taught me that little girls are worth half of a little boy, and that little boys have ultimate authority over little girls, and that little boys are given the right to punish little girls."

Juror 1: "Oh my, that little boy's mother is EVIL! She should be locked away!"
    Juror 2: "You can't say that. She didn't tell him to gouge out her eyeballs, she only told him that little girls are worth less than little boys and that little boys have the right to punish little girls... it was only the little boys interpretation that led him to gouge her eyes out."

Quite clearly, juror 2 is an idiot, and in the analogue, that is you. BTW, if you have read the Qur'an, you will know that there is no NEED to 'interpret' it in order to surmise that it thinks women are far less worthy than men, and that men have power over women, and that men should punish their women. It is there, quite explicitly in the text - in fact, it is one of the few things in the Qur'an about which it is explicit and unambiguous.

The Qur'an is DIRECTLY responsible for the attitude towards women in Islamic societies, and as a result, it is INDIRECTLY responsible for the atrocity highlighted in this thread, and all atrocities like it.

ReputationRep:
    no, since the qur'an is in my hand and I can see he's clearly wrong. Why on earth would I need to fabricate, many non muslims understand the meaning of these verses have been explained by many scholars, since they understand the context of it, such as the jewish historian Bernard Lewis. But obviously every historian, scholar, expert on Islamic studies is wrong and he is right...
    You've got the quran in your hand have you, then give me the quotes I've been asking for for a few hours now. I gave you 4-5 quotes, so come on then. Stop dancing around the issue as usual (like muslims do in this situation) and give me proof....

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.