Turn on thread page Beta

Rape victim receives 101 lashes for becoming pregnant. watch

Announcements

(Original post by MJlover)
    no he is a nazi. His other posts said he wish hitler would come back and kill all muslims.
    Just for your info, you're pretty much right about him. So don't let him make excuses for himself, because he actually believes that (and not just muslims, but I won't go into that). I know it :yep:

(Original post by Wesssty)
    was the one extra just for luck?
    :rofl:

Anyway, as I said before, I hope justice will be done. Apparently the sharia court in that country is looking into this (as it was misuse of fatwa by the elders :| ). source is somewhere around this thread (page 1/2 perhaps).

ReputationRep:
    Islam may have some doctrines which are difficult to understand, but ultimately, it is media-fuelled contempt for this religion which leads to debates such as this which end up breeding conflict, which overtime manifests itself in utter hatred... Or is it that people just disagree and fight with each other regardless of the provocation, because they are frustrated by their very nature? Who knows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What makes you and these so-called scholars any less biased if you're going to ignore all the nasty quotes in favor of the more reasoned ones? You're no less biased than he is.
    Listen up wise guy. I suggest you read the Quran yourself and then assert your views acting like an old expert in Islamic studies. Without having even read the original text you are in no position to comment on the authenticity of others' interpretation.

MJLover has at least read the Quran herself to be able to present her interpretation of it. If you'r looking forward to some real debate and discussion it is advisable that you leave your preconceived ******** about Islam outside. Without even dealing with the facts first hand you conclude- "What makes you and these so-called scholars any less biased if you're going to ignore all the nasty quotes in favor of the more reasoned ones? You're no less biased than he is."

This same argument could be used against you. So should we engage into this endless cycle of pointing fingers at each other saying:
    "Yours is biased."
    "No, mine isn't your's is."
    No, its not, your's is biased."

While it is very much possible for her to be biased (just like the rest of us), at the end of the day her interpretation is likely to be given more credence because she has dealt with the facts first hand. If she found this religion to be treating women as inferior human beings (as some have suggested) she would've left the religion long ago (I assume) instead of defending something that actually degrades her as a human being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    In order to understand the Quran you need to learn Arabic first. Alternatively, you could read the several translations of different interpretations of the Quran and then base your conclusions on them.

If you couldn't be ****** to go through all the trouble, then don't bother acting like a smartass.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like another immaculate conception if you ask me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahnaf.c)
    In order to understand the Quran you need to learn Arabic first. Alternatively, you could read the several translations of different interpretations of the Quran and then base your conclusions on them.

If you couldn't be ****** to go through all the trouble, then don't bother acting like a smartass.
    Why does someone need to learn Arabic before they can understand the Quran? That is like suggesting that you can't comment on Macbeth without learning English first.
    What is the difference between me being taught Arabic (I will be taught Arabic in English) and someone who speaks both Arabic and English translating the Quran? It makes no difference whether I learn Arabic and read a phrase in Arabic and understand its meaning and its equivalent meaning in English, or someone else just writes down the equivalent meaning in English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Octopus)
    Why does someone need to learn Arabic before they can understand the Quran? That is like suggesting that you can't comment on Macbeth without learning English first.
    What is the difference between me being taught Arabic (I will be taught Arabic in English) and someone who speaks both Arabic and English translating the Quran? It makes no difference whether I learn Arabic and read a phrase in Arabic and understand its meaning and its equivalent meaning in English, or someone else just writes down the equivalent meaning in English.
    Translations are never 100% accurate to the source. Languages are complex and some words exist in languages which do not exist in others and some words have multiple meanings which another language cannot convey. Ask any linguist student about this and they will agree with me.

Hence why its important to learn Arabic to fully understand the Qu'ran. English translations can never do complete justice to the original meaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Octopus)
    Please read my post again. I didn't say that the inability to learn Arabic eliminates any possibility of reading/understanding the Quran. I simply meant that its the best possible way, since no translation to this day is 100% accurate. You are most welcome to take the approach you have mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    You've got the quran in your hand have you, then give me the quotes I've been asking for for a few hours now. I gave you 4-5 quotes, so come on then. Stop dancing around the issue as usual (like muslims do in this situation) and give me proof....
    what just gave you the correct quotes and explanations...

ReputationRep:
    OK, This is terrible, really terrible...but lest we forget:

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.
    - Deuteronomy 22:28-29

*holds up neg rep shield*

ReputationRep:
    Who is to say the news is true?

Western media at it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    what just gave you the correct quotes and explanations...
    No you didn't. You gave me no quotes whatsoever.
    I gave you 4/5 quotes showing that Islam treats women as second class citizens. Inorder to try and defend that, after about 2 hours you posted a reply saying something along the lines of "Well men take care of the money".
    Look, you asked me for quotations, so I gave you them, now its your turn, stop dancing around the issue like most muslims do in this situation (ie when they have been "shot down in flames - as another user put it) and start talking sense (quotations, which will be checked by the way).

ReputationRep:

I see, so now that people have found quotes and now the muslims have questions to answer, people have to learn arabic and read several translations in order to comment.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths-enthusiast)
    Who is to say the news is true?

Western media at it again.
    The telegraph article makes it sound as though the incident isn't being investigated and that the 'village elders' are the the utlimate upholders of justice in this country. Their's is the perfect example of how a story should be left incomplete to instigate hate towards Islam.
    Just read the original article:
    http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=123248

and just so that people are able to understand that the rural culture came into play here rather than Islam, here's another recent, similar incident that is being investigated: http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=123518

It is to show how seriously even a suicide is taken in this country and that the peculiarity of the verdict(that is of no legal importance) given by the village mullahs/elders remain simply due to their uncouthness and retardedness that has been there for ages because they have been wholly disconnected from civilised life.

ReputationRep:
    I see, so now that people have found quotes and now the muslims have questions to answer, people have to learn arabic and read several translations in order to comment.
    :rolleyes:
    I don't know about the rest, but I do not feel the need to answer any questions if you simply outright reject my interpretation (which I have obtained through reading the Quran and not from Islamophobic sites) and assert your supposedly *more authentic and more accurate* translations that have, without a doubt, originated from blatantly Islamophobic sites.

If you wish to criticise Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" I could at least expect that you have read the book? Correct? Or is that too much for me to ask from such a scholarly critic like you?

Instead, if you Google/Wiki the most anti-Dan Brown sites and collectively attack the book, attempting to highlight its flaws and controversial aspects instead of bothering to read the book (or a translation), I will only think of you as a complete fool- AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the rest, but I do not feel the need to answer any questions if you simply outright reject my interpretation (which I have obtained through reading the Quran and not from Islamophobic sites) and assert your supposedly *more authentic and more accurate* translations that have, without a doubt, originated from blatantly Islamophobic sites.

If you wish to criticise Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" I could at least expect that you have read the book? Correct? Or is that too much for me to ask from such a scholarly critic like you?

Instead, if you Google/Wiki the most anti-Dan Brown sites and collectively attack the book, attempting to highlight its flaws and controversial aspects instead of bothering to read the book (or a translation), I will only think of you as a complete fool- AS SIMPLE AS THAT.
    well you see...neither you or 'mj lover' have given me any quotations yet, whereas i've given you 4 or 5.

ReputationRep:
    well you see...neither you or 'mj lover' have given me any quotations yet, whereas i've given you 4 or 5.

Talking to you is like talking to one of those msn virus bots.

ReputationRep:
    Talking to you is like talking to one of those msn virus bots.
    Well are you going to give the quotes or what, or are you going to join 'MJLover' in dancing around the subject?

ReputationRep:
    Well are you going to give the quotes or what, or are you going to join 'MJLover' in dancing around the subject?
    im gonna dance around just like you!
    Because I already said that- "I do not feel the need to answer any questions if you simply outright reject my interpretation (which I have obtained through reading the Quran and not from Islamophobic sites) and assert your supposedly *more authentic and more accurate* translations that have, without a doubt, originated from blatantly Islamophobic sites."

Please leave the quotes with the chapter and verse number if you really want an answer, because I haven't memorised your version of the Quran (thank God!) and if I feel generous tonight, I will surely get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    Lol mate all you post is absolute rubbish tbh. :rolleyes:

Formulate a cogent argument or at least stimulate a continuous thread of discussion and you might get responses which don't 'dance around the subject' which is in your head alone.

Ever heard the phrase: stupid questions deserve stupid answers - you've gotten better than that so far.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.