Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Rape victim receives 101 lashes for becoming pregnant. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    And this is what liberals want to pump into our country by the millions. How any woman can be respectful towards Islam astonishes me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    That isn't my point, that paper most probably being a tabloid doesn't help either. Some Muslims can be opportunists too.
    Wow, you really are an apologist. Oh and you should know, as far as I know it's a broadsheet - I'm guessing you have evidence to the contrary?

ReputationRep:
    101 lashes!? That's an outrage!

Why did she get off so lightly!? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Christ on a cross - what's wrong with these people?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-pregnant.html
    To all the people so eager to criticize Islam, give me one way this is connected to my religion? Not even the imbeciles on TSR can say that Islam in anyway allows such acts of atrocities. Quite appalling that everything that happens in a so called Islamic country is automatically blamed on Islam.

Stories like these sell because that's what people want to read, same with all the Brangalina b*******. Neither story can be deemed newsworthy.

ReputationRep:
    Fundamental Muslims. Shocking.

*awaits neg rep*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Is that a young Richard Dawkins?
    Yes. In shorts :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Disgraceful but it is Bangladesh so I'm not really surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    To all the people so eager to criticize Islam, give me one way this is connected to my religion? Not even the imbeciles on TSR can say that Islam in anyway allows such acts of atrocities. Quite appalling that everything that happens in a so called Islamic country is automatically blamed on Islam.

Stories like these sell because that's what people want to read, same with all the Brangalina b*******. Neither story can be deemed newsworthy.
    Actually, I don't think I ever mentioned Islam. Nor does the article itself.

ReputationRep:

their laws are based on islam. wake up and smell the coffee, my friend.

but then again, stuff like this has probably happened in the past with extreme christians interpreting the bible in a weird way.

ReputationRep:
    I think my cat has a better idea of right and wrong than those 'muslim elders'.

sharia law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Fundamental Muslims. Shocking.

*awaits neg rep*.
    If it did happen, which I don't doubt for some reason Why not fundamental Bangladeshis or fundamental Asians?? What does this have to do with Islam?

ReputationRep:
    the sharia courts of bangladesh have been notified - they will sort out the matter, hopefuly the death sentance to the rapist and the idiots that issued the fatwa

bangladesh newspaper report:

JUSTICE has been made a farce of once again. In a shocking repetition of misuse of fatwa, a rape victim was at the receiving end of a hundred and one lashes; the punishment was fixed through local arbitration participated by some village elders in a village in Kashba upazilla. And the rapist is roaming scot-free.

The incident is shocking not only for the gruesome brutality meted out to the 16 year old girl, but also because of the attitude of the law enforcing agency who did not act promptly enough to prevent the whipping or take cognisance of the incident later. It is very clear that the High Court directive to the police, issued in August 2009, to investigate all extrajudicial punishments, has not been fully implemented. Had that been the case the perpetrators would have been brought to justice and made examples of, and this would have acted as a deterrent to others.

The recent incident is disturbing on two counts. It demonstrates once again that helpless women, who are victims of rape and other forms of torture, not only cannot seek redress of law, they and their parents are further subjected to physical and mental torture including social ostracisation, as in the recent case in Kashba.

The other disturbing aspect is the role of the police. We cannot comprehend the statement the OC of Kashba PS that he would take appropriate action if the victim filed a case in this regard. He is in clear breach of the High Court directives in this regard. It is even more disturbing because three women have been victims of lashing as result of fatwa in this very district during the current month.

One cannot speak too strongly against this kind of aberrations that is being used to perpetrate violence against women. This practice must stop immediately. We join with the conscious segment of the society in calling upon the government to take steps to stop the parallel system of justice that misuse the name of religion. While the highest court has taken cognisance of the matter the police have not been quite up to the task earnestly as yet.

We suggest that the perpetrators of torture on the hapless girl be proceeded against immediately, and the OC, who is waiting for the victim to lodge a formal complaint to take action, act without delay.
    http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=123298

ReputationRep:

Islam encourages the kind of views which lead to these kinds of acts.

Her rape emerged after her pregnancy test and Muslim elders in the village issued a fatwa insisting that the girl be kept in isolation until her family agreed to corporal punishment.
    Her rapist was pardoned by the elders. She told the newspaper the rapist had "spoiled" her life.

A fatwā (Arabic: فتوى‎; plural fatāwā Arabic: فتاوى‎), in the Islamic faith is a religious opinion concerning Islamic law issued by an Islamic scholar

Learn2Read

ReputationRep:
    Islam may not go 'you may rape a woman and then give her 101 lashes if she becomes pregnant' but it certainly encourages the subordination of women which, in turn, leads to these sort of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Learn2Read
    So what if they issued a fatwah? Fatwahs are being handed out like sweets by ignorant people. They probably issued an opinion but arabic words sell newspapers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folderol)
    Wow, you really are an apologist. Oh and you should know, as far as I know it's a broadsheet - I'm guessing you have evidence to the contrary?
    Still it's too exorbitant to be believable so my point still stands.

(Original post by Sakujo)
    So what if they issued a fatwah? Fatwahs are being handed out like sweets by ignorant people.

So it is connected to Islam as it is a "religious opinion concerning Islamic law issued by an Islamic scholar".

You know what I love?

How very few people have actually come on this thread and said - No, those are imbeciles, they shouldn't be considered muslims, **** them, this isn't true Islam.

No, most people go - OMGGG STOP HATIIIINGGG IZ LIKE A LIEEEE JUST SENSATIONALIST STORYYYY

You don't see a problem with that?

WRT your edit:

So what if they issued a fatwah? Fatwahs are being handed out like sweets by ignorant people. They probably issued an opinion but arabic words sell newspapers.

The point is everybody is quick to defend Islam and the veracity of the story, few have bothered denouncing the actions of the supposed muslim elders.

The fact that it is a fatwa simply makes it connected (even if loosely) to Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    sharia law?
    (Original post by madima)
    their laws are based on islam. wake up and smell the coffee, my friend.

but then again, stuff like this has probably happened in the past with extreme christians interpreting the bible in a weird way.
    Absolute ignorant imbeciles and the fact that one of you is Pakastani just makes it more disgusting. Don't talk about Islam if you don't have a single clue what your on about. SHARIA LAW?? Give me one source where a raped woman gets flogged. You must have be and idiot to even think such a thing.

(Original post by Howard)
    Actually, I don't think I ever mentioned Islam. Nor does the article itself.
    I know but it's morons like the two above that I was referring to. You just posted the link tbf:cool:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.