The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:nooo:
Sakujo
So what if they issued a fatwah? Fatwahs are being handed out like sweets by ignorant people. They probably issued an opinion but arabic words sell newspapers.

correct, according to islamic jurisdiction a "fatwa" is merely an opinion UNLESS is is cited by the Khilafa. so at the moment anybody can issue a fatwa, even i can - but it will not hold any weight.
35mm_
Islam may not go 'you may rape a woman and then give her 101 lashes if she becomes pregnant' but it certainly encourages the subordination of women which, in turn, leads to these sort of things.

Exactly.

This is like when Afghanistan made spousal rape legal and apparently it was a complete coincidence that this happened in a country with a religion which states that wives are cursed if they refuse to have sex with their husbands. Complete coincidence! How can anyone see a connection there?! :rolleyes:
In2deep
If it did happen, which I don't doubt for some reason:s-smilie: Why not fundamental Bangladeshis or fundamental Asians?? What does this have to do with Islam?

How can you be a fundamental Bangladeshi? Thats like saying "I'm a fundamental Englishman" or "I'm a strictly devout Englishman". It doesnt make any sense. You're Bangladeshi, not a "fundamental Bangladeshi".

I said "fundamental muslims" because thats exactly what they are. Lets call a spade a spade shall we?
Reply 64
A perfect example of a biased, incomplete report.
Read the original article:
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=123248

Its a pity, but these things are common. Only because Islam was somehow related that this made the British newspaper(s). There were over hundreds of such cases over the past few months which have gone unpunished. Just last year a girl was raped and the entire incident was caught on tape, burned onto discs and sold in shops. The rapists got away because they were linked to an influential MP.

One of my neighbours, whose father is one of the biggest business tycoons in this country(her father holds the franchises for Pizza Hut, KFC, Pepsi and Phillips in Bangladesh), was raped by her servants during a party at their house, and even worse she was killed. She was an O' Level student at a reputed school in Dhaka. It has been 9 years since a case was filed, still there has been no justice. Even though the accused have no such 'links' and the victim's father is such an influential man, there appears to be no sign of justice. This is to be blamed on the congested legal system of this country.

I hate the way the name of my country is tarnished by such ****** up village 'elders' who are genuinely ****** in the head, even more so when the newspapers don't tell the whole story or explain the entire situation. Makes you people think the entire country operates like this.
Reply 65
HDS

It hasn't really this (if it happened) is a clear and gross miscarriage of justice which they will be called to account for. What's even more ludicrous is that they supposedly let the rapist go free because he "spoiled her", this is what gave the story away.
Reply 66
Diaz89
I think it's atrocious, but to be honest I don't buy into these media stories anymore. Hardly are ever checked as credible and most are based on hear say aiming to cash in on the whole let's bash Islam every 8 seconds in the West.

Narrated Wa'il ibn Hujr:

"When a woman went out in the time of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) for prayer, a man attacked her and overpowered (raped) her. She shouted and he went off, and when a man came by, she said: That (man) did such and such to me. And when a company of the Emigrants came by, she said: That man did such and such to me. They went and seized the man whom they thought had had intercourse with her and brought him to her.

She said: Yes, this is he. Then they brought him to the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him). When he (the Prophet) was about to pass sentence, the man who (actually) had assaulted her stood up and said: Apostle of Allah, I am the man who did it to her.

He (the Prophet) said to the woman: Go away, for Allah has forgiven you. And about the man who had intercourse with her, he said: Stone him to death.

(Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 38, Number 4366)"

Real Islamists stone rapists to death. Btw, despite your 'negative reputation' , you are my favourite TSR member!
In2deep
Absolute ignorant imbeciles and the fact that one of you is Pakastani just makes it more disgusting. Don't talk about Islam if you don't have a single clue what your on about. SHARIA LAW?? Give me one source where a raped woman gets flogged. You must have be and idiot to even think such a thing.

I know but it's morons like the two above that I was referring to. You just posted the link tbf:cool:

you're right.....sharia law would never cause anything like that. i apologise.

^read with sarcasm.
nolongerhearthemusic
Exactly.

This is like when Afghanistan made spousal rape legal and apparently it was a complete coincidence that this happened in a country with a religion which states that wives are cursed if they refuse to have sex with their husbands. Complete coincidence! How can anyone see a connection there?! :rolleyes:

All factually true. But you cant say that. Its well racist :wink: ha!
Reply 69
HDS
So it is connected to Islam as it is a "religious opinion concerning Islamic law issued by an Islamic scholar".

But it has no basis in Islam which leads me to beliave that it was more of an opinion than a true fatwah.

HDS

How very few people have actually come on this thread and said - No, those are imbeciles, they shouldn't be considered muslims, **** them, this isn't true Islam.

The point is everybody is quick to defend Islam and the veracity of the story, few have bothered denouncing the actions of the supposed muslim elders.

In2deep did and got blasted for it.

HDS

The fact that it is a fatwa simply makes it connected (even if loosely) to Islam.

Again it seems everyones making fatwahs nowdays, some are more correct than others.
nolongerhearthemusic
Exactly.

:eek3: You dirty Islamophobe!
See, Bangladesh is a superstitious, medieval country.
Reply 72
MJlover
Narrated Wa'il ibn Hujr:

"When a woman went out in the time of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) for prayer, a man attacked her and overpowered (raped) her. She shouted and he went off, and when a man came by, she said: That (man) did such and such to me. And when a company of the Emigrants came by, she said: That man did such and such to me. They went and seized the man whom they thought had had intercourse with her and brought him to her.

She said: Yes, this is he. Then they brought him to the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him). When he (the Prophet) was about to pass sentence, the man who (actually) had assaulted her stood up and said: Apostle of Allah, I am the man who did it to her.

He (the Prophet) said to the woman: Go away, for Allah has forgiven you. And about the man who had intercourse with her, he said: Stone him to death.

(Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 38, Number 4366)"

Real Islamists stone rapists to death. Btw, despite your 'negative reputation' , you are my favourite TSR member!

Precisely, the punishment falls completely on the rapist and the price is very much justifiable. And thank you for the kind remark :smile:
Reply 73
Really?
oh, thats discusting.
Reply 74
Antonia87
Fundamental Muslims. Shocking.

*awaits neg rep*.

Narrated Wa'il ibn Hujr:

He also said: He has repented to such an extent that if the people of Medina had repented similarly, it would have been accepted from them. (Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 38, Number 4366)"

Always have to be prepared for another ignorant quote from Antonia.
Reply 75
Reply 76
Diaz89
I think it's atrocious, but to be honest I don't buy into these media stories anymore. Hardly are ever checked as credible and most are based on hear say aiming to cash in on the whole let's bash Islam every 8 seconds in the West.

I think you're seriously in denial with some of this stuff that happens in the name of Islam religious jurisdiction, like someone said already. Are you seriously going to just throw every story off as lies spread by western sources with an agenda against Islam?
This is the Daily Telegraph we're talking about here, it's one of the top broadsheets there is; they wouldn't dare touch upon something like this unless they had their facts straight.

I appreciate your skepticism but this isn't the Daily Mail writing the article, and it's hardly the only story of this nature to make news.
Diaz89
It hasn't really this (if it happened) is a clear and gross miscarriage of justice which they will be called to account for. What's even more ludicrous is that they supposedly let the rapist go free because he "spoiled her", this is what gave the story away.

It may or may not have happened.

Not my issue.

My issue is everyone is quick to doubt the veracity of the story but nobody bothers saying that the so called elders are ******* imbeciles because of what they did and should be lashed themselves.
Reply 78
And here I was lead to believe Islam was a good thing. Great to have it here in Britain...
35mm_
:eek3: You dirty Islamophobe!

Obviously it's because I know nothing about Islam, I mean it's not like I've read their book or done R.S. A level with a focus on Islam. I just believe what the media tells me! Also, I'm probably racist because Islam is a race, right?

Latest

Trending

Trending