Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rape victim receives 101 lashes for becoming pregnant. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9a3iqa)
    The fact is women, if they have relations before marriage, will claim rape so they are not suspected of fornication.
    Putting aside the rest of your ridiculous post, wouldn't it be nice if the women you claim are liars lived in developed societies where one doesn't have to plead rape in order to not be punished for enjoying sex? Whichever way you look at it, Bangladesh would be in the wrong for its backwards values.

ReputationRep:
    I think the opposite - that non-Muslim Western people who defend Islam have been made to think that all religion is equal and should be respected by the media, and they don't have enough critical thinking skills or knowledge of the religion to say anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    A good way to see it is how the same country (which is one sixth the size of New South Wales, the state of Australia) has several extreme views within itself.
    On one hand we have the urban culture; where what these retards did would have no place and lead to imprisonment. On the other hand, the rural culture, which has developed acceptance and tolerance towards such atrocities is also prevelant not far off from the city.

Also note how Jamat'ul Mujaheedin (An Islamic political party which wishes/wished to set up Sharia law in Bangladesh) played an important role in politics as it formed a coalition with the immediate past ruling party and had the second highest number of seats in Parliament. Despite all this, none of the atrocities mentioned in the article would gain any acceptance by the voters/supporters of this political party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ce92)
    Islam
    It's the culture not the religion you bloody twit.

ReputationRep:
    This is the news article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-pregnant.html

This is the thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1163324

After reading the responses all I can say is most of you guys are media brainwashed puppets without the ability to think or reason, the story reported is not definitely true, only a partial truth. Some of you are thinking along these lines "OMG the news article said she was raped therefore she must be innocent!", she is most likely a fornicator and in those countries, the law is fornicators are punished.

The fact is most women who have relations before marriage will claim rape so they are not suspected of fornication.

Also these events are so rare in Muslim countries that when something like this happens, it is way blown out of proportion by western media to give the impression that this happens all the time, even though rape is so common in western countries they make it look like it is common in Muslim countries. The media is a joke and its obvious were its loyalties lie.

After all, humans are humans, nobody would punish a rape victim, its just that the pathetic western media survives on outrageous titles and articles which attract attention, even if it is a lie (partial truth = lie). This is what happens when money becomes more important than morales.
    I can believe this to be true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    What I mean is: is it a coincidence that these hadith are in existence and this law is in existence? Or could one have resulted in the other?
    There are too many factors to consider to give you a straight yes or no answer. There are many things that go against it within Islam to claim that that the Afghan cleric made the right decision with regards to this law.The conflicting sects see things differently. I for one see no relation between the existence of that hadith and personally raping the woman I love. Even if we are to agree that hadith is 1000% percent correct there is nothing within to say you should hold her to account, her calling is with God not you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Oh God, the resident islamist has already arrived with the whole 'it's fake, the West are persecuting us again!!'. Moron.
    You shouldn't have got a warning for that. Anyway listen it's not fake and the report's probably completely correct, however it's a cultural thing and has little to do with the religion of Islam. The exceptionally harsh punishment described (under Islamic law) can only be carried out if the women had committed adultery (the man must suffer the same) and there must be 4 witnesses to the act.

To you guys Islam certainly seems like a wicked and vicious religion but the so called brutal punishments are actually extremely hard to actually carry out (e.g. ur hardly gonna have 4 witnesses to adultery etc.) and capital punishment under Islamic law is actually bound by very strict conditions and it's actually extremely difficult to satisfy these conditions.

The laws of Islams were actually extremely effective in bringing the lawless Arabian peninsula under control at the time of the Prophet Muhammad and even after that muslim civilisations continued to be the most prosperous economically and militarily until the middle ages (16th ish century I think). At the present the events such as those in the newspaper article are the result of culture not religion and you must ensure you understand the difference before judging Islam.

ReputationRep:
    After reading the responses all I can say is you guys are media brainwashed puppets without the ability to think or reason, the story reported is not definitely true, only a partial truth.

The fact is women, if they have relations before marriage, will claim rape so they are not suspected of fornication.
    Also these events are so rare in Muslim countries that when something like this happens, it is way blown out of proportion by western media to give the impression that this happens all the time, even though rape is so common in western countries they make it look like it is common in Muslim countries. The media is a joke and its obvious were its loyalties lie.

After all, humans are humans, nobody would punish a rapist, its just that the pathetic western media survives on outrageous titles and articles which attract attention, even if it is a lie (partial truth = lie). This is what happens when money becomes more important than morales.
    Read the hadeeth i quoted. Also what about the fornicating man? Fornication doesn't even entail death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apotheosis)
    Tragically inseparable concepts. Sorry.
    If you believe that things like this would not happen without religion then you need to come back down to reality.

ReputationRep:
    Putting aside the rest of your ridiculous post, wouldn't it be nice if the women you claim are liars lived in developed societies where one doesn't have to plead rape in order to not be punished for enjoying sex? Whichever way you look at it, Bangladesh would be in the wrong for its backwards values.
    What a stupid comment, can you please mind your own business and not try to define for other countries what's barbaric or not? It's a big world out there, what's barbaric is totally subjective. They may see you as barbaric because you don't mind if unmarried couples have sex before marriage and end up separating with the father leaving and then the kids will grow up to be messed up because their mother has to work to feed them while they grow up with immoral children.

With marriage comes responsibility and decent children. With the "enjoying sex" mentality comes regret later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Islam moulds culture.

(Original post by Democracy)
    Nice username :yy:

And QFT.
    Our ancestors would be ashamed to see what has happened to what was once a great culture

(Original post by ahnaf.c)
    Wikipedia may not be the best source, but thankfully it has provided genuine references... so i'd advise you to read this up, but since you don't care about Islam, I guess you'll hold onto your anti-Islamic views and not read it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Islam
    ALthough reading it would help you realise that it wasn't religion, rather the culture of the West and the British dominance that held back the rights of women.
    Women are not superior to men in Islam. Women have certain duties towards their husbands, just how men do towards their wives. Simply by looking at what duties the women have, you may feel that there isn't gender equality, but that doesn't speak for the overwhelming majority of Muslims, their application of Islam in their lives AND neither does it speak for Islam alone.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA
    :rolleyes:

what a ******* joke. Please. Christianity holds back the rights of women and even Judaism does to a certain extent, what makes you think that Islam (which is newer) is any better than it's predecessors the texts of which are assimilated into it's holy text.

Wat a joke. No gender has any duties to any other gender if tru equality is to be achieved. So thanks but I won't read it because the backwardness of it will just make my blood boil.

Let me clarify - [b]I don't care what the overwhelming majority of brainwashed fools [see: religious zealots regardless of specific faith] feel constitutes gender equality. I want to live in a secular world and not one controlled by fantasy books written hundreds of years ago to give people back then some meaning to their lives[b].

Women have no duties to men. Thus - sexist. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    There are too many factors to consider to give you a straight yes or no answer. There are many things that go against it within Islam to claim that that the Afghan cleric made the right decision with regards to this law.The conflicting sects see things differently. I for one see no relation between the existence of that hadith and personally raping the woman I love. Even if we are to agree that hadith is 1000% percent correct there is nothing within to say you should hold her to account, her calling is with God not you.
    I'm not asking whether it's Islamically correct, I'm asking whether you think the existence of this hadith contributed to the guy who made this law thinking it was a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Neither exist in a vacuum. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Oh God, the resident islamist has already arrived with the whole 'it's fake, the West are persecuting us again!!'. Moron.
    You shouldn't even comment given your countries' fascist policies toward minorities.

ReputationRep:
    why on earth cant she or he enjoy sex through marriage? Is that such a hard thing? Presuming she/he is not forced to marry some minger, but anyways forced marriage isn't valid according to Islam anyways, but yeah its not that hard to not be promisciuos. Have a bit of self control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avesta)
    Islam moulds culture.

Our ancestors would be ashamed to see what has happened to what was once a great culture
    Irrelevant. The Qur'an doesn't mention punishing women who are raped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    So it's the fault of the British that village elders lash a women for being raped, in a country we haven't been in, in over half a century?

Just glad we sorted that one out. We're currently arranging some compensation for Rome because of Boadicea's rebellion, but when we can - we'll come to Bangladesh and take responsibility for the local savages. It's quite clear nobody else in the world is capable of taking responsibility.
    Don't be silly and please don't quote me out of context. If you're thinking im some anti-Brit, you'r mistaken. nothing of that sort.
    Just read the article, you'll get it. Here are the words of Harvard law professor Noah Beldman:

"As for sexism, the common law long denied married women any property rights or indeed legal personality apart from their husbands. When the British applied their law to Muslims in place of Shariah, as they did in some colonies, the result was to strip married women of the property that Islamic law had always granted them — hardly progress toward equality of the sexes."

HDS spoke of the inequality of women in religion, particularly Islam. I pointed out that history shows otherwise. Perhaps religion was a motive in what has happened, perhaps it wasn't I'm not blaming the UK for the current situation at hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    I'm not asking whether it's Islamically correct, I'm asking whether you think the existence of this hadith contributed to the guy who made this law thinking it was a good idea.
    No because the consensus of estmeed Scholars historically and present give no credence to his law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    No because the consensus of estmeed Scholars historically and present give no credence to his law.
    Do you think if the hadith had instead said "no one owes anyone sex, not even married people" that he'd have been just as likely to make this law?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.