Turn on thread page Beta

Easy Problem? Surely not binomial expansion... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, my brother is doing GCSEs and asked me to help him with this problem his teacher set him. I did Furhter Maths last year, but looking at this it looked a bit like binomial expansion, which is way out of GCSE knowledge. But my maths is rusty, and i'm sure i've just missed the easy method. Any help? Thanks

Given that x + 1/x = 5

Find the value of x in:
    x^5 = 1/(x^5)

(Original post by Guaglio)
    Find the value of x in:
    x^5 = 1/(x^5)
    Take the 5th root of both sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Take the 5th root of both sides.
    and?

and?
    That gives you x = 1/x. If you have x=1/x and x + 1/x = 5, it is easy to solve for x.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, my brother is doing GCSEs and asked me to help him with this problem his teacher set him. I did Furhter Maths last year, but looking at this it looked a bit like binomial expansion, which is way out of GCSE knowledge. But my maths is rusty, and i'm sure i've just missed the easy method. Any help? Thanks

Given that x + 1/x = 5

Find the value of x in:
    x^5 = 1/(x^5)
    it would help if you used latex.

ReputationRep:

Given that x + 1/x = 5

Find the value of x in:
    x^5 = 1/(x^5)
    Do you mean x+\frac{1}{x}=5 which is what you have written, or \frac{1+x}{x}=5

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't make sense to me.

Thought you could just multiply both sides of x+\frac{1}{x} = 5 to get a quadratic. But that doesn't work numerically.

Kolya's method gives 2.5 which doesn't seem to work.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe the question has been posted accurately.

If x^5 = 1/x^5, then x^5 = +/-1 and so x = +/-1 (assuming x real). Which has no connection to "Given that x+1/x=5" (and indeed if x+1/x = 5, it is impossible that x^5 = 1/x^5).

(Original post by miml)
    This doesn't make sense to me.

Thought you could just multiply both sides of to get a quadratic. But that doesn't work numerically.

Kolya's method gives 2.5 which doesn't seem to work.
    Yeah, you're right. The question's wrong (or a trick). x+1/x=5 has two irrational solutions. x^5=1/x^5 has 10 complex solutions, only two of which are real (which are +-1). In other words, there are values of x which satisfy both equations.

ReputationRep:
    Kolya: Did you mean "there are no values of x which satisfy both equations"?

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Nvm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Yeah, you're right. The question's wrong (or a trick). x+1/x=5 has two irrational solutions. x^5=1/x^5 has 10 complex solutions, only two of which are real (which are +-1). In other words, there are values of x which satisfy both equations.
    This is a GCSE question.

ReputationRep:
    this question is weird!!!

(Original post by DFranklin)
    Kolya: Did you mean "there are no values of x which satisfy both equations"?
    Yeah, typo. Sorry.

Can you see where the flaw is in the method I posted right at the beginning, Dave? It's deceptively "legit", even though it doesn't actually work. i.e. the reasoning is:

Note that if x is s.t. x^5 = 1/x^5, then x is also s.t. x = 1/x. (This loses solutions, but it still preserves truth.)
    Now, from the first equation, we have that 1/x = 5-x.
    Therefore, combining the two equations gives us x = 5-x.
    So x = 5/2 is a solution.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong is that if x = 5/2, then x does NOT equal 1/x. The two equations are inconsistent.

(I kind of realise you knew that, but if they're inconsistent, you can't expect substituting one into the other to yield anything useful).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 26, 2010

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.