Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need a 2.1 (obv) this year.
    first year econ...
    modules:
    Accounting and finance AC100, econ B EC102, stats ST102, maths MA100

I've not really done anything for AC100 and ST102 in first term, was also the case for MA100 but I watched loads of lectures and I'm up to week 8 now, not too bad in Econ.

Screwed?

ReputationRep:
    depends on how clever you are

ReputationRep:
    How much stats did you do at A-level? 7 weeks of ST102 is just S2ish pretty much. At any rate, you can easily catch up on ST102 in a day or two of solid work if you've done at least S1 or are intelligent.

AC100 I can't comment on.

I reckon I could teach someone all of MA100 calculus in under 2 hours (at least up to the standard of being able to do every exercise set so far). We spent about 6 weeks learning that y - b = m(x - a) even in higher dimensions. And then the rest was just stationary points stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say not yet.

AC100 you should be coming to the end of financial accounting. Forget it for now. You will be starting finance and later management accounting. Pay attention. They're new and they're easy. Do the homeworks.

Then in the easter break tackle financial accounting. It's probably best to work backwards from the exam solutions as there's some explanation as to why you debit this etc.

ReputationRep:
    Worst comes to worst will a friend kick the chair for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannylfc_1)
    first year econ...
    modules:

I've not really done anything for AC100 and ST102 in first term, was also the case for MA100 but I watched loads of lectures and I'm up to week 8 now, not too bad in Econ.

Screwed?
    last year I basically learn ST102 and AC100 during the easter break. I kept up to date with EC102 and MA100 during term so I just focused on these two over easter.

ST102 and AC100 are not too difficault and you can score high on these exams, problem is they're both really boring lol. Just work hard from now on and you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    some really encouraging stuff cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    How much stats did you do at A-level? 7 weeks of ST102 is just S2ish pretty much. At any rate, you can easily catch up on ST102 in a day or two of solid work if you've done at least S1 or are intelligent.

I reckon I could teach someone all of MA100 calculus in under 2 hours (at least up to the standard of being able to do every exercise set so far). We spent about 6 weeks learning that y - b = m(x - a) even in higher dimensions. And then the rest was just stationary points stuff.
    the exam is a tad harder than that. (calculus).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    the exam is a tad harder than that. (calculus).
    Yeah, I'm sure! I meant explain to someone everything we've done up till now.

ReputationRep:
    AC100 isn't too bad, it's simply a case of motivating yourself enough to do the work. A lot of the method etc. is pretty standard and can get you a lot of marks in the exam if you know what to do, plus most of the managerial questions are similar in previous years (e.g. budgeting question almost always comes up and is worth 20 marks).

ReputationRep:
    first year econ...
    modules:

Screwed?
    out of curiosity, is this the way most people treat their work load? are you not working because you've got other stuff going on (internship apps etc), or are you just not doing the work? and is it possible to get 2.1's by learning everything during lent term and breaks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobby_Zz)
    out of curiosity, is this the way most people treat their work load? are you not working because you've got other stuff going on (internship apps etc), or are you just not doing the work? and is it possible to get 2.1's by learning everything during lent term and breaks?
    No I doubt most people at LSE are like me, but there are some.
    Yes I put a lot of time into banking etc. but ye sometimes I would just be going out and then can't get up for lectures the next day. Its difficult to catch up when your behind so classes and lectures became pointless, especially in these subjects that follow on from one another.

I'm confident I can turn this around though but I'm definately doing it the hard way.

ReputationRep:

please teach me next year! pleeeaaaase!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irfy)
    please teach me next year! pleeeaaaase!
    Or you can just go to your lectures + classes... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Or you can just go to your lectures + classes... :p:

pppppllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaa aaassssssssssssseeeeeee!

with a sugar coated cherry on top!

ReputationRep:
    first year econ...
    modules:

Screwed?
    Yeah you're screwed. You could get a 2.2 if you work really hard.

ReputationRep:
    **** it, you'll be lucky to pass mate

(Original post by LENNIS)
    Yeah you're screwed. You could get a 2.2 if you work really hard.

ReputationRep:
    you could decide to fail 1 exam and focus just on the other 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motorhead)
    you could decide to fail 1 exam and focus just on the other 3
    This strategy has more much more merit than initially appears. Especially if you want an internship in second year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.