Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Was recently chatting to a friend who is on a PGCE and he convinced me that teaching sounds like something I might like to do, to be honest it's always been in the back of my mind but I've never really considered it until now.

Anyway I have a few questions if you don't mind answering. Firstly and most importantly: have I left it too late? I couldn't find a definitive date on the TDA website, but I mean realistically (ie even if the deadline hasn't officially passed do I stand any chance whatsoever of making it onto a course for 2010). I understand you need experience of being in a classroom and I spoke to my old school who said they can sort something out for about a months time lol, I've emailed a few other places but I've not heard anything back yet.

Secondly my friend said that it didn't matter what Uni you went to to do your PGCE, he actually said to apply to where you want to live/work as most people end up getting a job locally, is it this generally true?

Thirdly I'm doing a Masters at the moment but I only managed a 2.2 for my undergrad, how hard do you think It'll be for me to get on a PGCE?

Oh and I would apply for secondary Maths PGCE if that makes any difference?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    the deadline is june but most places are filling up now. read through the process on the gttr website. maths isnt the most popular subject and there's a shortage of maths teachers so i think it'd be worth your while applying. even a weeks teaching observation would be good to have somethng to talk about, if you havent it done at the time of writing your personal statement just write down that you have it planned to do it.

ReputationRep:
    What was your first degree in? You'll need to have a degree which covered a lot of Maths...

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science, I'm pretty sure this qualifies. Good to know I've still got a chance then, I didn't realise you didn't need to actually have done the experience when you apply and that you can say you plan to instead. I'll get chasing up some schools asap lol.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.