Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who here is emigrating to USA? I mean with Britain going through a bad "phase", a long period of economic and social recovery ahead, who here is planning for a move?

I feel there are just no opportunities here anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I want to move to America in the future, probably New York.

ReputationRep:
    USA is going through a bad phase too. High unemployment rate, students are finishing school later because of loss of jobs and public colleges not having money to support teachers and classrooms, the value of the US dollar has droppped compared to the Euro, etc. Think carefully before you immigrate because it will be hard and certainly different than you think.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to live in Seattle.

ReputationRep:
    Have fun getting into the US.

It's easier for a Mexican to hop over the border than it is for an Oxbridge graduate to be given a green card.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, apart from marriage I don't know how you're ""just going to emigrate"".

ReputationRep:
    If everyone from this country who said they're moving to America actually moved, it would end our traffic jams.
    Please, go.

ReputationRep:
    you can't just hop over to america!
    and anyway, america is in just as bad a mess as we are, as they pretty much sparked the whole problem off!

ReputationRep:
    I would like to, but it is to hard, probabaly settle for Australia.

ReputationRep:
    Not USA, but I'd love to move to Canada in a few years.

ReputationRep:
    I will likely move away from the UK after I complete my studies, But never to the USA.
    sounds like you are over-romanticizing the USA, its certainly not perfect-land furthermore the UK is not bad at all(in fact i think its pretty darn good )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyclone33)
    USA is going through a bad phase too. High unemployment rate, students are finishing school later because of loss of jobs and public colleges not having money to support teachers and classrooms, the value of the US dollar has droppped compared to the Euro, etc. Think carefully before you immigrate because it will be hard and certainly different than you think.
    Yes but the US economy is...well I have to say remarkably special, the economy is huge, even though it has just emerged from recession, it will recover quicker than most countries because of it can rely on so many industries and services for output. I mean take Britain for example, it has nothing that is going to pull itself back to what it was before the recession happened, Britain have always been heavily reliant on financial services for the economy, now that financial services have crashed and burned, unfriendly to new/young talent in the financial sector and with people being driven abroad in search of new opportunity, we no longer have that.

ReputationRep:
    I plan to go to Silicon Valley, or possibly Honolulu, if I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xica Da Silva)
    I will likely move away from the UK after I complete my studies, But never to the USA.
    sounds like you are over-romanticizing the USA, its certainly not perfect-land furthermore the UK is not bad at all(in fact i think its pretty darn good )
    look at the rest of the EU for other opportunities. no visa required, same rights as other citizens, larger job market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyyy2807)
    I want to move to America in the future, probably New York.
    THIS... but i refuse to catch on to the american accent. just no!

ReputationRep:
    Emigrating to the US is extremely difficult. Take it from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    I would like to, but it is to hard, probabaly settle for Australia.

marriage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    Who here is emigrating to USA? I mean with Britain going through a bad "phase", a long period of economic and social recovery ahead, who here is planning for a move?

I feel there are just no opportunities here anymore.
    It's pretty much the same in America, if not worse.
    I'd love to live in Seattle, New York City or San Francisco, but it's more of a dream than a concrete plan.

ReputationRep:
    People moving to New York. :cry2:

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexSC)
    look at the rest of the EU for other opportunities. no visa required, same rights as other citizens, larger job market.
    Yep the EU is a much better option for a british citizen.
    Thats what I am planning to do after my degree.
    (although this has little with the UK's percieved 'crappiness' but more to do with my relationship)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.