The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Never in a million, billion years. EVER.
Reply 61
Jeester
Not me, Australia or France please.
America just seems so... fake? Touristy? Bland?
I dunno, maybe had too many American films shuved down my throat...

The United States is an extremely diverse country of over 300 million people, it is over 50 countries in one, why do you generalise all of us.. It IS rascism.
det65
The United States is an extremely diverse country of over 300 million people, it is over 50 countries in one, why do you generalise all of us.. It IS rascism.

Um, you mean over 50 states, not countries? (states are pretty much the same, with the same people speaking the same language, shopping in same shops, learning the same things in school, watching the same TV.)

And it isn't racism, racism is when you hate a certain race, and I don't think Americans are a race?

I would never, in a million years, move to the USA... If I had to, I would settle for Canada :smile:
Reply 63
I'm definitely hoping to. Either there or Canada, which is actually starting to appeal more. If I do though, it would have to be through the marriage route, and after reading this thread it sounds like even that will be difficult.
Reply 64
Shadowplay
Um, you mean over 50 states, not countries? (states are pretty much the same, with the same people speaking the same language, shopping in same shops, learning the same things in school, watching the same TV.)

And it isn't racism, racism is when you hate a certain race, and I don't think Americans are a race?

I would never, in a million years, move to the USA... If I had to, I would settle for Canada :smile:

What I meant was they are like different countries.. dude the united states is suuuch a diverse place you really have no idea... it's not what you probably think being white christians, it is now extremely multi cultural and racially almost white minority in fact, like it and what I mean about racism is that Brits would never get away with the generalisations they make about Americans if they were talking about a whole race... or in this case over 300 million people.

And no, not the same language, spanish is spoken throughout the United States, the shops vary by region, and culturally you're in for a shock going from west coast, mid west, south, new england.. Kids turn out completely different growing up in So Cal to Detroit to Boston to hippie Portland, etc, etc.

Really I'm completely wasting my time typing this, but maybe you'll take a trip across the US and find out it is a beautiful country full of good people, bad people, and everything in between.
Reply 65
I love the dellusion here its just beautiful, Its just like I'll move to the US. ummmmmm wheres your money for a property you need at least £100,000 to survive if stuff goes down the crapper.

America is in a far worse state than the UK by far. There's reported just yesterday on BBC news 55% umeployment, in the UK its 25% or 20% (well the true figure)

The USA to has many many enemies that even Barack cannot solve, China, Japan, Saudi nations, Europe (not the best of friends) Russia (need I say more) South America and their ever loving neighbour Canada, and if someone tells me Canada like america I will scream lol they ******* hate America. These countries trade with America purely because it benefits themselves and with China declared number 2 most powerful in GDP things will change.
Europe will most likely in the future clump together with Cameron in charge it would be likely and the EU constitution will be reformed . Markets will turn to China and the East. Obama is playing a dangerous game at the moment as he is almost blatently trying to push the US back into isolationism which would cripple America absolutely as the way to go forward is through globalisation and supply trade as the UK provides finance and is an epicentre but the US do not really have trade now China is the way forward
Reply 66
@Det65 How so is America diverse all America is, is a 2 party system of 2 parties which cannot do any better as each other this effect is shown through the states for example southern states are overall Republican aka the nutcase party.

And do not say your election last year was about politics, it was a 2 party p**sing contest at one another the Repulicans trash talking Obama and Obama saying one word change which has failed to deliver
cruciform
I would love to live in Seattle.

I love it here :-D But I am doing just the opposite, I am going to the UK :-D
Reply 68
America is diverse. I drive 20 minutes and I'm Koreatown. 10 mins in Chinatown. Another 10 mins where many Spanish speakers are. I don't need to drive too far to eat Korean, Japanese, Persian, Mexican, Italian, and Chinese food because they are all within the 5 mile radius. But again, I live in one of the populous cities in the country.
Shadowplay

Ha. Yes, america is fake. Just as much as brits have bad teeth, french people drink too much wine, russians too much vodka, irish people hate each other and love to kiss the blarney stone. Yes, its true enough to make an impression, but its a stereotype. Not everyone in america is a fake. Just a lot of them are :tongue:
Oh, and, racism is not when you hate a certain race, you should look it up in the dictionary. It is treating a certain 'group' of people DIFFERENT based solely on that fact that they are different than you.
if you are going to move to the US, dont move to newyork or cali or florida. If you want 'fake', there you go. And if you move to canada, dont move to vancouver. You will probably die :-D (can you take a hint that maybe I don't like vancouver? )
Reply 70
Canada is US's sidekick.

Reply 71
SteveeRoo
I love the dellusion here its just beautiful, Its just like I'll move to the US. ummmmmm wheres your money for a property you need at least £100,000 to survive if stuff goes down the crapper.

America is in a far worse state than the UK by far. There's reported just yesterday on BBC news 55% umeployment, in the UK its 25% or 20% (well the true figure)

The USA to has many many enemies that even Barack cannot solve, China, Japan, Saudi nations, Europe (not the best of friends) Russia (need I say more) South America and their ever loving neighbour Canada, and if someone tells me Canada like america I will scream lol they ******* hate America. These countries trade with America purely because it benefits themselves and with China declared number 2 most powerful in GDP things will change.
Europe will most likely in the future clump together with Cameron in charge it would be likely and the EU constitution will be reformed . Markets will turn to China and the East. Obama is playing a dangerous game at the moment as he is almost blatently trying to push the US back into isolationism which would cripple America absolutely as the way to go forward is through globalisation and supply trade as the UK provides finance and is an epicentre but the US do not really have trade now China is the way forward

55%? you mean Zimbabwe?

The US has about 10% unemployment, UK's figure is about 9%
It doesn't matter how crap this country gets, I won't be leaving it. Even if it ends up only being me.

Not because I necessarily "Love" it so much, I just don't see the point in giving up and running off elsewhere.
Reply 73
Most of you lot ain't going anywhere. Green cards aren't awarded according to desire.
Reply 74
I'm moving back as soon as I finish uni. So basically, in about 6 years. Meh, I'd rather go to university in the US but there's no way my parents or I will be able to afford it so I'm stuck here. :frown:

Oh well, it's not all bad...
Rachelwhitney

Oh, and, racism is not when you hate a certain race, you should look it up in the dictionary. It is treating a certain 'group' of people DIFFERENT based solely on that fact that they are different than you.

Nope. Cambridge dictionary.

racism noun
/ˈreɪ.sɪ.zəm/ n

the belief that people's qualities are influenced by their race and that the members of other races are not as good as the members of your own, or the resulting unfair treatment of members of other races

And whoever thinks that America's states are really diverse, clearly hasn't travelled much. My house is more diverse than my neighbour's too :smile:
aeonflux
The financial sector will be back on its feet extremely quickly, all the big London banks are starting to turn billion £ profits again already. Give it 2 years and they will be back where they were. The developing economies will not be able to compete with the financial sector in the UK.

Except that the government is indulging in lots of populist banker-bashing and driving investment away from the UK to places only too happy to accept the GDP hike from out finance sector.

I doubt it'll kill our financial sector entirely, but it is doing damage.
Reply 77
I've always wanted to move to the United States, which is why I think their immigrant rules are screwed up. Why can't Europeans who built the country and especially British people, one of their closest allies, be given at least the same opportunity as Afghanistanis, Kazakhstanis etc but hell thats the way their immigration system and the green card lottery works.

I'm hopefully going to go over to NYC in the summer with BUNAC just for a taster and hopefully make some contacts. If I enjoy it then I'll do everything I can to get over there permenantly after I graduate as Britain is just depressing. I realise it's not easy but if I can get someone to sponsor me I'll be over there in a flash. If not America than probs Canada (Vancouver, screw the snow) or Australia, anywhere but Britain and it's can't do attitude.

My grandfather is American so that might be able to get me in a little easier, I'm not exactly sure about their rules regarding ancestry.
Reply 78
Jinru
Great minds thinks alike :sexface:

indeed :biggrin:

Let me guess: Wall Street?
Reply 79
Fear Nothing
Want to go together? :p:

You know I'd never go without you :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending