Turn on thread page Beta

Mixing music with Audacity watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

i was just wondering how easy it is to get into mixing using audacity or similar programs?

Mainly for creating drum and bass tracks. Links to tutorial sites would be great!

cheers

ReputationRep:
    No, audacity is the wrong tool for the job. Audacity is good for quick recording (with a microphone) and basic tools with it (amplification, fade in etc).

If you want to do drum and bass you need a sequencer such as cubase, logic, fruity loops etc. The sequencer allows you to play notes, put them in time etc etc.

I've started a website on it which is nowhere near finished, but I think it might give you the basics to get you get started www.soundsnake.com. If you have any specific questions please send them to me, because the site^ is fairly newish and I'm trying to write it for people who want to get started, so if any of it is unclear just ask

Edit: Oh, I've also got a youtube page at http://youtube.com/PatchenDance so if you want a question answered just post on there and I'll do a video of a DnB track and how its produced (I've got a DnB track on youtube there called "Believe" and "Numbers" which I can walkthrough if you want) - whatever the viewers want!

ReputationRep:
    I find audacity hard to use, depending how skillfull you are it may be O.K. It hasn;t got all that many effects to use either.

I just mainly use audacity to download music off of grooveshark etc.

ReputationRep:
    Audacity is the wrong tool for the job. Like someone said you need a sequencer, I personally use Ableton.

Have a look at this thread for production tips: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1150153

ReputationRep:
    Native Instruments ftw.

ReputationRep:
    I like Cubase/Nuendo best and I'd use them for what you're trying to make, Cubase + Reason + Absynth etc. ;D

ReputationRep:
    Cubase is good but it sure ain't cheap.

Ableton Live is a good alternative and a lot better if you do get to taking it on stage. Wish it had been about when I started out (in music not poetry).

ReputationRep:
    All software is cheap on the internet.

If you really want to get a free DAW then Reaper seems pretty good, I've never used it but I get the impression it's like a stripped down version of Cubase.

ReputationRep:
    Ableton Live or Logic Pro (Ableton for windows users and Logic for mac users)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.