Turn on thread page Beta

The generation who believe their bodies are the only passport to success... watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't usually read the DM but i came across this article in google and I thought it might make an interesting topic to discuss.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...t-success.html

opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Well, apart from reinforcing the fact that you shouldn't read the daily mail...

It's really not a generation who think their bodies are the only passport to success. I'd say a small minority of a generation.

Why shouldn't they make the most of what they have? I don't think it's any worse than someone that is good at maths going to make a career out of maths; at the end of the day it is whatever makes you happy. Not everyone can be bankers and doctors.

Similarly, there is nothing to say that a life based around a career that uses their body is better than one that uses their mind.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****, damn those athletes.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit much to class an entire generation as having a single-minded ideal.

ReputationRep:
    In another 8 months when i have aquired more overall mass and lowered bf% I am going to be looking freaky, so lets see where that gets me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    I think it's a bit much to class an entire generation as having a single-minded ideal.
    Yes this is what I didn't like about the article.. although the descriptions of a large portion of young women were accurate-
    what about the rest of us who do uphold those illusive 'old values' of education and so-on.. its not as rare as the article makes out.
    I also don't like the article and commenters blaming it solely on feminism (Feminism is not bad- without it women would have no vote and no effectively no choices over their own life. all women should thank feminism. my probelm is with radical feminism which sadly many people seem to think is the only type of feminism).

most of all I just think the whole wag/glamour model thing is embarrassing and trashy. Although I honestly don't know if its just me being a snob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed_jnr)
    Well, apart from reinforcing the fact that you shouldn't read the daily mail...
    Lol don't worry not going to be a regular occurence. The DM usually pisses me off - and this article half does(although the other half agrees with some aspects which as a Libertarian is worrying :p: ).

ReputationRep:
    It is sad that some girls value their bodies over themselves. I thought in some ways the article was interesting/made good points.

Criticisms:

a) It's not just women who are subject to sexual pressure/objectification. It affects all of society, including men. I thought they were a little bit left out in the article.

b) Somewhat idealistic comparisons were made to more "traditional" times. We don't have to be traditional to escape sexual objectification. And a woman wanting to improve her self through meekness, submission and "not talking about feelings" - well that's a bit sad as well isn't it? (Yet again the article did mop up at the end with female liberation and independance - so I'm being a little harsh)

c) It's not all feminism's fault. They could have come up with some better reasons than that. Plenty of feminists are against sexual objectification. Sexual liberation does not have to equal sexual objectification either.

d) With regard to increased desire amongst girls to lose weight - whilst it is a problem for a large number of girls - you have to factor in that as a nation there is actually a hell of a lot more obesity now than in the 19th century. So weight loss is actually a legitimate concern for a lot more women now.

e) The article didn't address why some of the things it mentioned are bad. Having loads of sexual partners for example - if it's safe, why is it bad?

f) Not all girls are like that. Not even the majority (though I guess there is a trend toward it) The extremes mentioned in the article are pretty rare. A lot of girls who buy into that sort of stuff at 13 grow out of it.

But generally a better article than the DM usually comes out with. And in fairness it is for a newspaper.. it's not an academic journal. It's difficult to present anything really thought out or three dimensional in only a page of text.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still distracted every time I go on that site because I know the girl whose eyes are at the top of the screen.

And on topic, at the age of 13 I think I wanted a boob job, to be thinner, and better looking. And I didn't really care that much about school. But you know what? I GREW UP.

ReputationRep:
    One minute all the kids are fat and we're an 'instant gratification' culture, the next the poor kids are thinking about their body image too young and we're growing up working towards the wrong careers. If people want to be lapdancers and get boob jobs let them, judging by how competitive the medicine, banking etc industry is I don't think we're about to run out of 'skilled' people anytime soon.

If the issue is with the media, which is obviously is, then why is the generation being blamed for being impressionable? If you don't print diet tips in teenage magazines then I won't grow up thinking about my weight, if you don't run weekly columns full of women trying their best to get a boyfriend then I won't place so much importance on men, if you don't have page 3 girls and an ungodly amount of coverage on people like Jodie, Jordan and christ knows who else, then I won't be so desperate for a pair of massive tits. I'm not saying we shouldn't have any of those, because censorship and repression of that level (or like their beloved 1800s) is ridiculous, but the statement that this sort of behaviour has arrived 'apparently out of nowhere' is ******* ridiculous.

As people have said, it's not a majority and it's not a whole generation. I hardly see how going from just men attending university, to this thousands-of-people-trying-to-get-in scramble is compatible with the 'living doll' idea.

ReputationRep:
    LOL as if that fat thing on the right in the first pic was a playboy model :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I've said it before on here but one of the easiest ways to stop thinking about how much weight you need to loose and how ugly you are is to stop reading women's magazines. If you read them, and your friends read them then you end up talking about how fat this person is and how your life won't be complete without those shorts but you can't wear them until you've done this diet.

When I read the magazines I didn't think that they were having a negative impact on my self esteem and you think that that kind of self-obsession is "what every girl should do" but I stopped buying them to save some money and feel so much better now, I avoid them completely.

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail: renowned for its well-research articles.

(Original post by Daily Fail)
    Role model: Young women today are increasingly looking up to figures such as Katie Price, left, and Jordan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    The Daily Mail: renowned for its well-research articles.
    tbf though I imagine there are quite few girls who do look up to those women.
    I know there were lots at a school I attended.

ReputationRep:
    That article looks like something I would mostly agree with (I didn't read it all) but like someone in the comments says, The Daily Mail encourages that view every single day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xica Da Silva)
    tbf though I imagine there are quite few girls who do look up to those women.
    I know there were lots at a school I attended.
    The point being that Katie Price and Jordan are the same person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    The point being that Katie Price and Jordan are the same person.
    my mistake I don't know much about jordan.

I was going to quote your other post but I as may as well do it here,
    its true the DM complains that young women are aspiring to be wags and glamour models yet the DM incessantly covers those types of celebrities.
    they complain about the high standards of beauty being put on women yet have a field day if a celebrity has cellulite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xica Da Silva)
    my mistake I don't know much about jordan.

I was going to quote your other post but I as may as well do it here,
    its true the DM complains that young women are aspiring to be wags and glamour models yet the DM incessantly covers those types of celebrities.
    they complain about the high standards of beauty being put on women yet have a field day if a celebrity has cellulite.
    Mmm, and not even just celebrities. Anyone who's unfortunate enough to be female- whether they're an athlete or a politician or whatever- gets judged on what they look like by that newspaper.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.