Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I have a week to choose my AS subjects and im confused? :confused:
    Im thinking of doing:

Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    French
    Further Maths

BUT i dont know if these will be too hard and i will have like no life.
    Im predicted like 8A* 2A's at GCSE? Do you think they are too hard? And also i dont know what i want to do in the future but i know its either finiance/econ or medicine so is this open to it all? thanks in advance, much appreciated.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    FRENCH IS THE BEST.

If you really like them all, you should be fine. Although I wouldn't recommend doing five if that gives you no free periods, these come in really handy for studying!

ReputationRep:
    Good choice - they are all open and good

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's fine for med. I did the same sorta subjects and it's not too bad if your organised and get the work done quickly

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's impossible but those subjects are all actually very hard. However, you want to apply for either Economics or Medicine which are the two most difficult courses to get in, so I guess you must be very smart, you will be fine.
    If I were you, I'd do Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History/English Lit/French, Economics.

ReputationRep:
    They are an excellent choice. Just remember to choice subjects that you like.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    I wouldn't say it's impossible but those subjects are all actually very hard. However, you want to apply for either Economics or Medicine which are the two most difficult courses to get in, so I guess you must be very smart, you will be fine.
    If I were you, I'd do Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History/English Lit/French, Economics.

Those sound good although good unis like LSE say that Economics is not eneccessary for most courses althought Further Maths is highly desireable which is why i was thinking that... but im not sure if i can cope with FM as i got A in my Mock (predicted A*) so dunno if im capable...ahh so hard!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am choosing soon aswell and i am doing maths, further maths and biology as three of mine good luck

ReputationRep:
    Your choices seem fine, I know a few people taking 5 A Levels and they have to work hard, but are coping well.
    If you're considering economics, maybe take A Level economics instead of French? That would definitely keep your options open.
    Although it's not necessary, it shows you have an interest in the subject which may help as economics is so competitive.

ReputationRep:
    they are very open.
    i think you will be able to get into both courses easily if you do well in all your subjects.
    you may want to think about changing french for economics or financial studies

ReputationRep:
    No I think these are fine. Just work harder on Maths and it will all work out!

ReputationRep:
    They're a good choice. If you're unsure about your further maths capabilities and considering econ/finance, I'd swap the further maths to economics

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how you can choose between econ and medicine. They seem completely different? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths is doable for anybody who is good at maths (A/A* at GCSE), at least to AS level. A2 is slightly harder. Further Maths is probably better than economics. Also, bear in mind that if you do FM, maths seems a lot easier and so while you might have to work at FM, you will probably be able to do maths with little effort.

ReputationRep:
    That is going to be a ****load of work. Enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    That is going to be a ****load of work. Enjoy.
    So true.

If you enjoy all of the subjects, then go for it.
    Economics isn't necessary as an A-Level if you want to study it at uni, and its always great to have a language, so I'd stick to French.

If it got too much you could always just do AS Further Maths (thats what I did and it worked out)

I'm assuming you'd drop one or two of them for your A2...

ReputationRep:
    You are in no hurry to choose luv. Its only really final next year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.