Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me, or am i correct in saying that Southampton is not as highly regarded as a uni as it should be? It seems to be near the top for almost every subject...

The reason i'm asking this is because i've spoken to a lot of people about the reputations of the unis i'm considering (Southampton, Bristol and Exeter) and it seems that Bristol has the best reputation, even though they are the worst for my subject (Modern Languages).

So i guess what i'm saying is that my heart is with Bristol/Exeter and my head is with Southampton... Which am i supposed to choose??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    University reputation is all subjective in my opinion. I think Bristol is overrated for a lot of the courses it offers, Exeter is impressive, but I've heard the place is not for everyone.

I would go with your head in this situation, despite the fact I would agree with you that it does not seem as highly regarded as the others. I'm not quite sure why this is the case, but it certainly shouldn't be looked on as a negative.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I think you're right... it's an excellent uni but people don't seem to regard it as much.

None of that matters though; go to where YOU want to go, not where others think you should go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SammyG1991)
    Is it just me, or am i correct in saying that Southampton is not as highly regarded as a uni as it should be? It seems to be near the top for almost every subject...

The reason i'm asking this is because i've spoken to a lot of people about the reputations of the unis i'm considering (Southampton, Bristol and Exeter) and it seems that Bristol has the best reputation, even though they are the worst for my subject (Modern Languages).

So i guess what i'm saying is that my heart is with Bristol/Exeter and my head is with Southampton... Which am i supposed to choose??

Thanks
    I believe that although bristol is very good; its reputation as an old uni carries it unnecessarily higher in peoples opinions. It seems to move quite slowly and is definitely behind in terms of the engineering courses they offer (non 'general')
    I seriously looked at it when i was applying and chose Southampton over it for many reasons so i would say dont let a teachers opinions (whose may be a bit dated) push you away from Southampton.
    All 3 are good but i would say follow your heart as you'll probably enjoy where your heart wants more.
    They're all good though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.