Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which are the products to go for and which are the ones to avoid?

I wholeheartedly recommend Sainsbury's Basics orange juice, plain chocolae, chocolate mousse, Jaffa cakes, vegetable lasagne, garlic bread, cheese and tomato pizza, and white bread. I avoid any meats.

ReputationRep:
    Anything so plain that they probably can't screw it up.

I buy Tesco value:
    -fruit juice (if I'm going to buy 100% juice from concentrate, surely it's more or less the same whatever brand I buy? I occasionally splash out and buy fresh juice though).
    -onions
    -carrots
    -peppers
    -bananas
    -plain chocolate for cooking with (the stuff in the confectionary section not the baking section though - it's exactly the same, and about 10p cheaper per bar)
    -flour
    -some biscuits. Value custard creams are pretty tasty. And actually, the shortbread isn't too bad - well worth the 9p a packet!
    -butter, if I'm just using it for baking
    -soya milk - like the fruit juice, I figure all the brands are basically the same, other than the choice between sweetened and unsweetened
    -honey
    -golden syrup

I would NEVER buy Tesco value cheese, sauces, soup, etc.

Tinned chopped tomatoes are one to avoid - the value ones are really watery, and often have hard greenish unripe bits. I always stock up on expensive tomatoes (Napolina ftw) when they're on offer, or buy the standard Tesco Italian ones if not.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, generally as a rule of thumb, if it's tinned then it's just as good. Take beans for example, smartprice ones taste almost the same and are ridiculously cheaper. I also agree with biscuits and other stuff :yep: .

However, like you say avoid meat, and i do not like their precut bread. and it goes without saying avoid the alcohol-ever tried tesco premium lager? bad times :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The Asda smartprice curry sauce is epic for 5p. I try to avoid sauces in jars as I'm trying to learn to make my own, but when I'm drunk and want cheap curry sauce on my chips, the 5p jar is awesome!

ReputationRep:
    I always bought Tesco Value

- creme caramels
    - tinned custard
    - tinned rice pudding
    - cheese
    - cheese slices (only used these for having in tuna mayo & cheese toasties)
    - butter
    - orange juice
    - chicken breasts
    - sliced bread
    - chocolate
    - frankfurters
    - pate
    - frozen fish
    - fish fingers
    - frozen pizzas (I used to add extra cheese & toppings)
    - quiches
    - garlic bread
    - tinned tomatoes
    - frozen fishcakes
    - flour

ReputationRep:
    tesco value or sainsburies basics or waitrose essentials or M&s smart price:
    vegetables, fruit
    staples-flour, pasta, beans

ReputationRep:
    Sainsbury's Basics chocolate digestives are INCREDIBLE. They used to do some that were in a luxury range... and I can honestly say, the Smartprice ones taste JUST LIKE those. I think they're just a bit smaller, but honestly, they're divine!

The main place I can taste the difference is with fruit juice. It's always a bit tart when it's the value brand, whereas Tropicana or Copella or Don Simon :love: are so much smoother and easier on the tongue.

ReputationRep:
    Buy: basics flour, vegetables, kidney beans... generally things which are an individual ingredient rather than an actual meal are alright.

And basics lamb is actually a pretty good deal - it's still good meat, just needs a long cooking time like in a casserole or slow curry.

Never ever buy the cheese.

ReputationRep:
    Basics meat is good, if it's the cut that reduces the price (eg lamb breast). Omnomnom.
    I like basics fruit and vegetables, and tinned pulses. Basics jelly is awesome for vodka jelly, breaded frozen white fish fillets (less than 25p each :o:, and better for the environment than cod)
    Basics flour is great if you're willing to make up baking powder and sieve a few times.
    Not such a fan of any of the alcohol, or the biccies (which are great when stoned), and sauces and stuff, they're just filled with glucose fructose syrup, so chesap and bad for you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    Sainsbury's Basics chocolate digestives are INCREDIBLE. They used to do some that were in a luxury range... and I can honestly say, the Smartprice ones taste JUST LIKE those. I think they're just a bit smaller, but honestly, they're divine!
    I just remembered that i loved their chocolate chip digestives (which had no right to be any better than choc coated ones but were :p: ) I don't know if they do them anymore though :confused:

I get lots of value/basics stuff. I think even the value mince (not the frozen stuff) is fine if you drain the fat off. Tesco value cereal isn't that nice, the texture of the rice crispies/cornflakes is odd. I guess its good if you're on a budget and prefer a massive quantity of cereal over quality.
    Tesco value choc went majorly down hill when they changed it but the white choc they've just started in the last couple of months is great.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too fussy tbh:

Biscuits
    Tinned fruit
    Tinned Pulses
    Fruit
    Veg-Onions/peppers/carrots
    Pasta sauce/curry sauce if its the base of my sauce- i add fresh herbs etc to make it more palatable
    fresh mince, chicken,fresh sausages
    Cheese is bland but If I'm broke I'll buy a massive block for a £5 or whatever else is on offer
    Pasta, Rice, Noodles, Soup (although I add veg and fresh basil to it)

Angel delight mix is only 6p...amazing although the real one is better by miles.

I do have to buy proper brand curry paste, fresh herbs, cereal--hate the cardboard flavour ones.

ReputationRep:
    I work in Sainsburys and when we do blind taste tests between Sainsburys Basics, normal Sainsburys own range, and branded products, the Basics always seem to come before the normal Sainsburys product. Branded wins 2/3rds of the time though!
    I must say for things like biscuits and crisps, there's not much differenence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splooshka)
    I work in Sainsburys and when we do blind taste tests between Sainsburys Basics, normal Sainsburys own range, and branded products, the Basics always seem to come before the normal Sainsburys product. Branded wins 2/3rds of the time though!
    I must say for things like biscuits and crisps, there's not much differenence.
    I don't know if it's just the sainsburys ive been to but the normal own brand bread is rubbish. It seems stale when you buy it, i've had a few loaves and they've all been like it even though theyre well within the best before The basics bread is alright though.

ReputationRep:
    commodity food such as cheese some meats (not mince so much) should be avoided. Whereas products which combine other foods (puddings etc.) are great + cheap for very little sacrifice on quality.

ReputationRep:
    opposite of basics... don't buy bonne maman maple and pecan galettes... worst value EVER. I haven't binged on a pack of biscuits for 4 years but I got this, each biscuit was super nice and sweet and light, and there were only 12 small galettes, the box cost £1.50! ahhhh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizfairy)
    opposite of basics... don't buy bonne maman maple and pecan galettes... worst value EVER. I haven't binged on a pack of biscuits for 4 years but I got this, each biscuit was super nice and sweet and light, and there were only 12 small galettes, the box cost £1.50! ahhhh.
    But were they delicious? If so, then surely it's worth it, as an occasional treat?

I love Bonne Maman. Especially the blueberry or raspberry jam. And the plain buttery galettes are really nice too (though yeah, not cheap!)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.