Turn on thread page Beta

'99 Corsa B - grinding rear brake watch

Announcements

After leaving my car stationary for 7 or 8 hours, either on the handbrake or in gear, when I set off and apply the brakes, there is a very loud grinding noise coming from the rear passenger side. If I hit the brakes fairly hard the grinding stops. There doesn't seem to be any loss in stopping power, and it all started when the first batch of heavy snow came down in the days running up to Christmas. I've tried taking both rear wheels off and cleaning out the brake drums and mechanisms, but the noise still continues. Google didn't help me find anything with the same problem as me so I was hoping someone here might know where the problem lies. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    First thing that comes to mind is wheel bearings. Collapsed wheel bearings at that.

It is an odd problem, how much of the pad was left on the brakes, were the drums damaged at all?

I dunno, I think we might be barking up the wrong tree with the brakes, and I am not sure the snow is related (unless you had an accident or collision on the side in the snow at all?).

To be honest with you mate, i am a bit flummaxed because the way you word it is that if the car has been left for less than 7 hours, then you don't get the grinding noise, but if it has been left for over 7 hours then you do. I am just confused what can change between those times.

Umm...i'll have a think about it.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking seized brake drum, but if you're stating you took the drum off, then maybe not?! The shoe can make this form of noise.

gbduo: when we (I can't take all the credit, me and my dad did it together) took off the wheels and looked over the brakes, the right rear wheel bearing was loose, but that was tightened up and didn't sort the problem (we thought maybe there was a vibration caused by the loose bearing that was rattling around the rear of the car). The drums didn't appear to be damaged.

I know what you mean about being stumped by the timing. If I leave it for 6 hours when I'm at work work the grinding is there but is very minimal. But if I leave it for 8 hours during the day it is quite bad.

I'm wondering if it may be a temperature issue? But surely after 8 hours it will be as cold as it will be after 6. Leaving it overnight seems to be worse than leaving it during the day though.

Ne Stig: both drums needed a bit of persuasion from a mallet to come off but the left one seems to be the problem one.

EDIT: someone on another forum suggested it might be related to the salt they put down in the snow causing the drums to rust up more quickly. I'll look into that.

ReputationRep:
    Could be temp related, but drums don't get that hot anyway in normal driving, especially as most FWD cars are 65/35 (F/R) split on the brakes!

I wonder if it is something suspension related, so the weight shifting off the suspension is causing the grinding, bit of a long shot though as it does sound more rotary if it is a grinding noise.

I'll be honest with you mate, I am clutching at straws here. Are you sure both wheel bearings are good (inner and outer?) on the affected side?

Graham

ReputationRep:
    How did you tighten up a bearing? It will be a sealed unit no?

ReputationRep:
    Aye, if the wheel bearing is loose, its surely tatered?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.