Turn on thread page Beta

Is there a mistake in Nelson Thornes AQA Physics A txtbook? watch

ReputationRep:
    On Page 257, the formula for electric potential is:

V = \dfrac {Qq}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^2}

Whereas on the formula sheet for physics it says:

V = \dfrac {Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r}

It looks like the formula for "Force between two point charges", but that formula is above it, so I doubt it's a typo meaning it to say Force.

Or am I just being daft?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    On Page 257, the formula for electric potential is:

V = \dfrac {Qq}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^2}

Whereas on the formula sheet for physics it says:

V = \dfrac {Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r}

It looks like the formula for "Force between two point charges", but that formula is above it, so I doubt it's a typo meaning it to say Force.

Or am I just being daft?

Thanks
    Must be wrong, formula sheet never lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSB01)
    Must be wrong, formula sheet never lies.
    Or is this formula some form of adaptation? I just want to verify.

Thanks

Formula sheet is correct. The other equation is the force between two charges.
    Books can sometimes be very wrong. Some of the questions on here lately are proof of that.

ReputationRep:
    On page 157 in the table it says that beta radiation is less easily deflected in a magnetic field than alpha radiation, surely this is wrong?

(Original post by Musicinthedarkness)
    On page 157 in the table it says that beta radiation is less easily deflected in a magnetic field than alpha radiation, surely this is wrong?
    As betas are less massive than alpha they are more easily deflected by collisions in matter than the heavy alphas.
    In a magnetic field, the force deflecting them will depend on the charge they have and the speed. F=Bqv
    For alphas and betas with the same speed, the force on the alphas will be 2 times that of the beta. [charge +2 and -1] But the mass of the alpha is much much greater than the mass of a beta so the beta is more easily deflected.

Looks like another typo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    As betas are less massive than alpha they are more easily deflected by collisions in matter than the heavy alphas.
    In a magnetic field, the force deflecting them will depend on the charge they have and the speed. F=Bqv
    For alphas and betas with the same speed, the force on the alphas will be 2 times that of the beta. [charge +2 and -1] But the mass of the alpha is much much greater than the mass of a beta so the beta is more easily deflected.

Looks like another typo.
    Thought so! Thanks very much

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.