Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Travel Insurance + Visa? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When do I apply for these two things?

I'm going to go to China for 2 months from June to August. How much do you think they will be?

ReputationRep:
    Try googling for the chinese embassy

then play with something like insureandgo.com

That's all anyone is gonna tell you here.

ReputationRep:
    i think u can search the service apply visa online! in vietnam i see some site serve this! like http://www.vietnamvisa-online.com

ReputationRep:
    I could be wrong, but I think when I went to China we had to fill in a form that came from the Chinese embassy, and supply a passport photo, as well as pay about £30.
    Travel insurance can be bought from anywhere. Post Office is usually not bad pricewise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaded22)
    I could be wrong, but I think when I went to China we had to fill in a form that came from the Chinese embassy, and supply a passport photo, as well as pay about £30.
    Travel insurance can be bought from anywhere. Post Office is usually not bad pricewise.
    I just checked up the chinese embassy website and just like to confirm that it takes around 4 days for the Visa to be processed? You also needed to pay service fees right? On top of the actual visa itself that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    I just checked up the chinese embassy website and just like to confirm that it takes around 4 days for the Visa to be processed? You also needed to pay service fees right? On top of the actual visa itself that is.
    That sounds about right for the timeline, but im not sure about the service fees. Guess so.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't pay service fees when I went but then they seem to change the requirements constantly for getting a Chinese visa! I went in August 2008 during the Olympics and at this point they were making it very hard to get into China.

Check with them that you have literally everything they currently require before you go (you had to go in person when I got mine) otherwise they just reject you and make you come back another time. I had to have a copy of my bank statement to show how much money I had to spend, confirmation of where I was staying in China (difficult if you're planning on backpacking) and details of my flights in and out of the country. Additionally I had to pay in US dollars.

It might be different for if you want a prolonged visa, but you can only get a tourist visa which is valid for 90 days, so you have to enter China within 90 days of it being issued, meaning you can't apply yet if you don't want to go until the summer

Travel insurance - I've had STA travel and AA in the past, both have been fine

ReputationRep:
    I would apply for your Chinese visa as early as physically possible (3 months prior to travel). Insurance doesn't really matter, you can do it the day before you leave if you want...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I didn't pay service fees when I went but then they seem to change the requirements constantly for getting a Chinese visa! I went in August 2008 during the Olympics and at this point they were making it very hard to get into China.

Check with them that you have literally everything they currently require before you go (you had to go in person when I got mine) otherwise they just reject you and make you come back another time. I had to have a copy of my bank statement to show how much money I had to spend, confirmation of where I was staying in China (difficult if you're planning on backpacking) and details of my flights in and out of the country. Additionally I had to pay in US dollars.

It might be different for if you want a prolonged visa, but you can only get a tourist visa which is valid for 90 days, so you have to enter China within 90 days of it being issued, meaning you can't apply yet if you don't want to go until the summer

Travel insurance - I've had STA travel and AA in the past, both have been fine
    Thanks for the taking the time to reply. In light of your experience, i'll prepare thoroughly and interrogate them over the phone.

I took the advice of another poster on this thread and visited Insureandgo and got 2 months backpacker health insurance for £40.

(Original post by Ewan)
    I would apply for your Chinese visa as early as physically possible (3 months prior to travel). Insurance doesn't really matter, you can do it the day before you leave if you want...
    Oh? Then i'll make sure to apply for one at around mid march. Thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the taking the time to reply. In light of your experience, i'll prepare thoroughly and interrogate them over the phone.
    As I said, the requirements seem to be constantly changing and when I was in SE Asia this summer I met people who had been in China and they didn't have to submit the same things as I did. When we were doing it they changed the requirements more times than I'd like to count and they stopped issuing visas to UK passport holders at all at one point which was obviously incredibly useful :rolleyes:

There are 3 (I think) different places you can go in the UK and where you have to go to get the visa depends on where you live. There is one in London, one in Edinburgh and one in Manchester, could be some elsewhere I'm not sure. But they were adamant that I went to the appropriate location to get mine (deemed on where you have your perminant residency, not where is convenient) although as I said, it might have changed as it seems they were much much stricter and annoying during the Olympics!

But as long as you get them to confirm everything before you go you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    As I said, the requirements seem to be constantly changing and when I was in SE Asia this summer I met people who had been in China and they didn't have to submit the same things as I did. When we were doing it they changed the requirements more times than I'd like to count and they stopped issuing visas to UK passport holders at all at one point which was obviously incredibly useful :rolleyes:

There are 3 (I think) different places you can go in the UK and where you have to go to get the visa depends on where you live. There is one in London, one in Edinburgh and one in Manchester, could be some elsewhere I'm not sure. But they were adamant that I went to the appropriate location to get mine (deemed on where you have your perminant residency, not where is convenient) although as I said, it might have changed as it seems they were much much stricter and annoying during the Olympics!

But as long as you get them to confirm everything before you go you should be fine
    I really don't like the sound of being made to go to Manchester to get a Visa. :o: I might phone the embassy tomorrow and talk to them about this.

Out of curiosity, how was China during the Olympics? Did you visit Beijing or did you just stay in the south-east?

ReputationRep:
    I really don't like the sound of being made to go to Manchester to get a Visa. I might phone the embassy tomorrow and talk to them about this.

Out of curiosity, how was China during the Olympics? Did you visit Beijing or did you just stay in the south-east?
    Hehe - Manchester ain't bad!! I live in Edinburgh and they basically told me that because I wasn't Scottish I'd have to go to Manchester as it was the closest one to my original family home which is where I'm stated as living in my passport... despite the fact by this point I'd been living up here for 3 years. But I think they were just being really really annoying for the pure sake of it.

I was just in Beijing actually as it was just a stop off on the way home from Mongolia - we turned up with one ticket and ended up going to at least two events everyday for about a week as tickets were so easy to get and incredibly cheap. The Chinese lied to the world about it being sold out! Where are you going? What are you doing there for two months? Will they even let you get a two month visa or will you have to leave then reenter? I notice your tsr flag is Chinese... do you have family there/are learning Chinese etc?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe - Manchester ain't bad!! I live in Edinburgh and they basically told me that because I wasn't Scottish I'd have to go to Manchester as it was the closest one to my original family home which is where I'm stated as living in my passport... despite the fact by this point I'd been living up here for 3 years. But I think they were just being really really annoying for the pure sake of it.

I was just in Beijing actually as it was just a stop off on the way home from Mongolia - we turned up with one ticket and ended up going to at least two events everyday for about a week as tickets were so easy to get and incredibly cheap. The Chinese lied to the world about it being sold out! Where are you going? What are you doing there for two months? Will they even let you get a two month visa or will you have to leave then reenter? I notice your tsr flag is Chinese... do you have family there/are learning Chinese etc?
    Oh I know Manchester isn't that bad. I used to live there and my extended family still do - it's rather nice in some places... not nice in other though. :o: Well I was born in Rochdale... maybe they'll ask me to go to Manchester after all. Meh, don't mind really. My Auntie will feed me once I get there. :giggle:

Ahahaha. China lied to us? I'm glad to hear you had a nice time in Beijing - I assumed you were just going to the south east of China for some reason... sorry.

We're doing dangerous backpacking across China. No plan whatsoever - ah, youth. I'm hoping they'll let me get a 2 month visa... there's not much reason why they wouldn't... maybe the fact that i'm chinese would help matters. :tongue:

Yes I have some family in China, though i'm looking to avoid staying with them just to gain a true feel of living in different areas of China. I may meet my grandma who could be described as a nomad though. We've talked about meeting in Hong Kong, then seeing her again in Shanghai, then she'll cross paths with me later on in a small village I forgot the name of. She's wonderful she is.

I'm currently brushing up on my Mandarin. I know Cantonese fluently owing to the fact that my mother constantly spoke it to me, though she knew Mandarin as well and never uttered a word of it to me... strange... I know intermediate level Mandarin though. It should be enough to get by, but not enough to make me not look like a fool for being chinese and not being able to speak it as well as pre-conceptions state I should. :o:

What about you? Are you Mongolian? I've never been. Was it nice? Where did you go? I'm looking to travel all across asia soon so Mongolia's already on the list. I'd love to hear of your experiences and your wisdom.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Sounds like a cool plan I really wish I'd had more time to do China properly as we literally just ended up there at the end of several month trip so it was just a really surreal way to end up in China running around the Olympics for a week then going home. I ended up in Hong Kong this year and almost got another visa to have a wander around the South but ran out of time sadly. With your grandma it sounds like it'd be cool - I wish mine was like that, she just wanders around Manchester every so often so not quite as interesting!

Well if you speak Cantonese you're hardly going to look like a fool - its not your fault China has multiple forms of the languages!! And you'll do better than most and generally people just find it entertaining when people can only half speak their language anyway so you'll be fine... better than me: apparently they don't appreciate being spoken to in Mongolian so I didn't get too far with my language skills. I'm not Mongolian no, I'd been there for about 3 months working for a charity so I speak Mongolian in a conversational type form (as in, I can't really read or write it but I can speak/understand basic spoken Mongolian) so when I got to Beijing it was just coming out on auto pilot Its the best country I've ever been to and I've been to a lot of places - the plan is to go there properly and get another NGO type job when I've got more money as I'd love to get better at the language etc as its really hard to keep up in UK and I just love it so much If you go let me know and I can help you out.... I'd like to hear about backpacking around China type adventures too as I'll def be back there in the next few years

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm glad you had fun in China. I wanted to attends the Olympics in Beijing too but my mother thought otherwise. It's a shame you never had enough time to spend some quality time in Hong Kong. I went once years and years ago - when I was 7 or 8 I believe (i'm 18 now) - so all I can remember well were the bright lights and tall buildings. The people were extremely friendly though, which saying something seen as I was quite a sensitive kid back then and barely trusted anybody. :tongue:

Yes, I guess that's true but I fear some pompous Chinese people will think otherwise in regards to my knowledge of Mandarin. :o: Fear not though, I pick up languages quite well so it shouldn't be too hard to fluentise myself in Mandarin in 3 months.

Oh! I've always been interested in volunteer work abroad and was about to take part in the platform2 program which sends you abroad for free - though it's only for fiscally unwell youths like me. :tongue: I'd love to hear about what you did in Mongolia and will surely keep you up to date with my adventures in China. I've already planned to hunt for a netbook near the date of departure so I can just flip it open when internet is nearby so that I can update chat on msn with various people.

ReputationRep:
    Do a search on MoneySupermarket for travel insurance. It is amazing how expensive some commonly used providers are...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.