Turn on thread page Beta

Stocks & Shares - Age to start? watch

ReputationRep:
    What age did you start trading in Stocks and Shares?
    Also if you do not mind saying, how much did you start with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prikstera)
    What age did you start trading in Stocks and Shares?
    Also if you do not mind saying, how much did you start with?
    i) Spread betting is probably better with a lower capital.
    ii) You are never too young, but ever since my dad has been a trader he got me involved so 14 but of course I wasn't legally allowed so he made like a practice account for me, obviously it's not my money therefore it will probably a lot more real for when I start at 18.
    iii) I will approximately start with £1500 probably lose it all and hope to learn fast.

Do a lot of study there are loads and loads of books on this.
    Study.

ReputationRep:
    I started the day after my 18th with a little over £6500. So far I'm up to about £7400 on sales and dividends; not great, but a decentish return for a bear market. I've bought a few shares which I regretted the next day, but that's just how it goes :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woolcott)
    I started the day after my 18th with a little over £6500. So far I'm up to about £7400 on sales and dividends; not great, but a decentish return for a bear market. I've bought a few shares which I regretted the next day, but that's just how it goes :dontknow:
    Where did you get £6,500 from?
    Did you do any research?

ReputationRep:
    open up a practice thingy for at least a month, I had one before but can't remember the site it was on. then get a real one as soon as ur legal/have the capital(at least 1000 IMO)
    good luck!oh yh and spread betting is a much better idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    Where did you get £6,500 from?
    Did you do any research?
    I just put a chunk of my pay-cheques away whenever I got them :yep:

I did a bit, but mainly I would get ahead of the news stories by listening to early morning news and getting my broker to buy/sell/short before most people were on the ball. Because I stick to a well hedged portfolio which is composed of lots of small chunks, I can be relatively nimble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prikstera)
    I have 30,000 pounds to spend at the moment.

I have just turned 17.
    How'd u get that kind of money??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woolcott)
    I just put a chunk of my pay-cheques away whenever I got them :yep:

I did a bit, but mainly I would get ahead of the news stories by listening to early morning news and getting my broker to buy/sell/short before most people were on the ball. Because I stick to a well hedged portfolio which is composed of lots of small chunks, I can be relatively nimble.
    Whilst at sixth form? Surely not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    Whilst at sixth form? Surely not?
    It's easy enough once you're in a routine. I didn't have to work shifts (I'm a semi-pro photog, so I did a lot of stock and wedding photography, which doesn't involve too much on a week-day). I was up early to get into work anyway, and would ring/email my broker whilst on the way to school. I'd check everything was working out during morning break/free periods/lunch, and 80% of the time managed to stay on top of it.

It's doable. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    21, only investing not trading. Started with none of my own money (well 100/month perhaps)
    But had around 4k invested by parents already.

ReputationRep:
    I am 22 and have around £3,000 spare at the moment.

I have been following the "Official" thread, and as many have suggested, I have started to trade on the fantasy stocks and shares, with bullbearings.co.uk

I am looking at making my first trade as soon as my III.co.uk account is activated. I am just waiting on the post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBez)

I have been following the "Official" thread, and as many have suggested, I have started to trade on the fantasy stocks and shares, with bullbearings.co.uk

I am looking at making my first trade as soon as my III.co.uk account is activated. I am just waiting on the post.
    Link the thread please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBez)

That's interesting.

How is it 'relevant' though?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1010366

ReputationRep:
    How does that answer the OP?

Its not an 'official' thread either, its just a thread. If I setup 'The Official Student Finance thread' would that mean all student finance threads should referred there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    That's interesting.

How is it 'relevant' though?
    ...because various investors/traders post in the "Official" thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhokes)
    ...because various investors/traders post in the "Official" thread.
    But they don't post when they started/their starting capital.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been trading since august
    its been hard to go wrong since then, but tables are turning now.
    If you want a tip for the next 3 months, try reneuron, LON:RENE.
    Expecting approval from Gene therapy advisory comittee to start human trials for victims of strokes within 2 months, should send share price to double initially, if not, I will accept 11-12p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    How does that answer the OP?

Its not an 'official' thread either, its just a thread. If I setup 'The Official Student Finance thread' would that mean all student finance threads should referred there?
    It was for me, it helps to read previous posts rather than jumping straight to stupid conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    But they don't post when they started/their starting capital.
    Yes we do, if you'd care to read the posts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.