Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Personality watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How important is personality?
    I'm a guy and it's all about personality!
    2.91%
    I'm a girl and it's all about personality!
    3.27%
    I'm a guy and personality is most important, but looks matter somewhat :grin:
    21.45%
    I'm a girl and personality is most important, but looks matter somewhat :grin:
    33.82%
    I'm a guy and personality matters as much as looks
    17.09%
    I'm a girl and personality matters as much as looks
    12.36%
    I'm a guy and personality counts, but it's mostly about looks :sexface:
    3.27%
    I'm a girl and personality counts, but it's mostly about looks :sexface:
    1.82%
    I'm a guy. Boobs plz :coma: :dice:
    1.82%
    I'm a girl. Guns / pecs / 6 pack / adams apple plz :coma: :dice:
    0.73%
    I am asexual and do not feel attraction to people, heterosexually or homosexually. :indiff:
    1.45%

So i was talking to a friend of mine, and she was suggesting that for guys, personality is the big factor and looks are mostly irrelevant, within reason.
    I disagreed, knowing quite a few girls who are split 50/50 or totally go for looks (well, i know one, but shush :p:)

This got me thinking about to what extent the various sexes see things, so i thought; where better to gather some data than the old hive of youngster activity, TSR? :holmes:

So, how much does personality matter to you, and more importantly, WHY is this? For you, your personal reasons for personality mattering etc. Doesn't matter if somebody's apready said it, say it again :p:

Anyway, i put up a (kinda confusing) poll, sorry

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl and personally, find personality a HUGE factor in deciding whether I like a guy.

He can be perfect looking, rich and athletic but if he's a huge jerk.. I will still be repulsed.

ReputationRep:
    Girls will go for looks when they want a guy, yet when a guy wants a girl he can win her with only his personality.

If it was down to looks I would never get any, yet because I can use my personality to attract I can get some.

ReputationRep:
    for me, 60% personality, 40% looks! but people who say looks aren't important are just kidding themselves. just cause, well, it's nice to have a nice face to kiss :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I've read this before Lefty...

ReputationRep:
    They just say it's about personality to come across as if they have emotional depth and aren't superficially shallow.

Perhaps it's because they're quite the romantics and believe in the ideology put across in literature, media etc.

ReputationRep:
    Listen my friend:
    All the girls here will say they look "ah"-so-much at personality. Its not true. Trust me. Personality is important but the look is more important. Thats how the brain works. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    what's the point in going for someone for their looks? They almost certainly won't be too great to look at a few years down the line and you'll be stuck with an ugly person with a possibly **** personality. Go for personality with looks being a nice bonus.

Hehe.

I don't really think about it.

But personality must play a big part for me - because I can see a guy I'm not really attracted to, is perhaps even a bit of a "no, I wouldn't".. and his personality/humour/just getting on with him well can actually make me fancy him after a while.
    As in negate whatever features/lack of features that didn't initially attract me to him. Well, more than negate.

That said - all the personality in the world (probably) won't help a guy if I really just find him unattractive.

I dunno *shrug*

(Original post by A_master)
    I'm sure I've read this before Lefty...
    Yeah but this time it comes with a fun poll :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    personality wins.
    i absolutley love confidence (not arrogance) someone who is friendly, funny and easy to get on with. i actually think guys with really perfect symmetrical faces are intimidating, and strange... like zac efron. and he doesn't seem to have much of a personality...

But then again, if he makes no efforts with his looks, it's abit offputting, he doesn't have to be naturally good looking. if he scrubs up well, and dresses nicely then he's getting somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Yeah but this time it comes with a fun poll :sexface:
    I see :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha! I love the poll

I'm not gonna lie and say looks dont matter - because they do, but they can be stunning and have an awful personality...which I wouldnt like..

So its got to be a mixture of both presonality and looks..but mainly personality.

ReputationRep:
    As far as being attracted to other people goes... I'm not, the whole question of sex eludes me, and I just don't seem to find myself able to care. My opinions on people are therefore 100% personality, although first impressions aren't based on personality, because you can't get to know someone before you've spoken to them.

ReputationRep:
    I voted for 50:50 personality and looks.

ReputationRep:
    for me personality is JUST as important as looks

looks grab you, personality keeps you, i couldnt be with a fit lad if he had the personality of a dishcloth same as i couldnt be with someone with a really good personality if i wasnt attracted to him

those that say looks dont matter at all are lying

Probably 60/40 in terms of Looks/Personality. I could never be attracted to a genuinely ugly girl (regardless of personality), but likewise a girl with a horrible personality, whilst still being hot, wouldn't make me want to waste any effort on her.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at more of this personality ********.

It's 60% looks and 40% personality. Admit it.

The fact is looks is the first thing we see about the opposite sex and therefore what will be the initial attraction. A great personality won't be noticed if it doesn't have a nice face. Looks are incredibly important.

We are animals and we mate with what looks the healthiest and most aesthetic in order to breed the finest offspring. However, as humans we do seek personality a lot more than say lions perhaps. There's no shame in admitting you find looks more important than personality. It's a biological fact. People are just afraid of red gems with a comment accusing them of being shallow.

Don't delude yourselves because we aren't going to get to know someone deeply until we've met them. We won't approach them if they're ugly. I admit that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    So i was talking to a friend of mine, and she was suggesting that for guys, personality is the big factor and looks are mostly irrelevant, within reason.
    I disagreed, knowing quite a few girls who are split 50/50 or totally go for looks (well, i know one, but shush :p:)

This got me thinking about to what extent the various sexes see things, so i thought; where better to gather some data than the old hive of youngster activity, TSR? :holmes:

So, how much does personality matter to you, and more importantly, WHY is this? For you, your personal reasons for personality mattering etc. Doesn't matter if somebody's apready said it, say it again :p:

Anyway, i put up a (kinda confusing) poll, sorry
    Yoo hoo! :jumphug:

I think that personality is more important, because however good-looking a person is, they need some substance behind the gloss or they'll be deadly boring.
    The most important thing I look for in a partner is that they're someone I can talk to - someone I can spend hours talking to, about both philosophical issues and nonsense. Yeah, good looks can spark initial attraction, but something else needs to hold my interest.
    An ability to like my quirks is a plus, too. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy and personality matters as much as looks. :eek3:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.