Turn on thread page Beta

Personality watch

• View Poll Results: How important is personality?
    I'm a guy and it's all about personality!
    2.91%
    I'm a girl and it's all about personality!
    3.27%
    I'm a guy and personality is most important, but looks matter somewhat :grin:
    21.45%
    I'm a girl and personality is most important, but looks matter somewhat :grin:
    33.82%
    I'm a guy and personality matters as much as looks
    17.09%
    I'm a girl and personality matters as much as looks
    12.36%
    I'm a guy and personality counts, but it's mostly about looks :sexface:
    3.27%
    I'm a girl and personality counts, but it's mostly about looks :sexface:
    1.82%
    I'm a guy. Boobs plz :coma: :dice:
    1.82%
    I'm a girl. Guns / pecs / 6 pack / adams apple plz :coma: :dice:
    0.73%
    I am asexual and do not feel attraction to people, heterosexually or homosexually. :indiff:
    1.45%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    Lol at more of this personality ********.

It's 60% looks and 40% personality. Admit it.

The fact is looks is the first thing we see about the opposite sex and therefore what will be the initial attraction. A great personality won't be noticed if it doesn't have a nice face. Looks are incredibly important.

We are animals and we mate with what looks the healthiest and most aesthetic in order to breed the finest offspring. However, as humans we do seek personality a lot more than say lions perhaps. There's no shame in admitting you find looks more important than personality. It's a biological fact. People are just afraid of red gems with a comment accusing them of being shallow.

Don't delude yourselves because we aren't going to get to know someone deeply until we've met them. We won't approach them if they're ugly. I admit that.
    I want a red gem but no fu_cker will give me one! Oh and yeh i agree you basically said what i wanted to say but i was too lazy to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Personality is a HUGE factor for me. If I can get on with a guy/feel comfortable/myself and feel that he treats me right then thats a great start. I can't deny that looks are somewhat important though, there has to be an element of physical attraction. They don't have to be "Brad Pitt" ( who by the way does nothing for me :laugh: ) but as long as I can look at him and think :sexface: then I'm sorted. Personality outweighs looks but visual/physical attraction still needs to be there.

ReputationRep:
    Looks are most important for me in the initial attraction, but I will become attracted to a person who meets a certain 'standard' if I find their personality attractive.

Example - went to a house party and met a girl. Initially I thought 'Yeah, she's alright', then it turned out that she was a great laugh and rather interesting. I found myself fancying them all of a sudden.

ReputationRep:
    For me, 70 personality/30 looks.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I find a fairly large proportion of women attractive, but I've yet to meet one I'd actually like to go out with. Make of that what you will :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely more about personality, I mean you can be aesthetically attracted to someone you see in the street but looks are just the tip of the iceberg, and whatever judgement you make upon them initially, what's under the surface is ultimately what keeps you in or drives you away.

ReputationRep:
    Personality matters a hell of a lot, but I wouldn't be able to be with a guy if I'm not attracted to him physically. I'm not blind after all

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl and personality is most important, but looks matter somewhat
    I can find an average guy a lot more attractive if I like his personality

ReputationRep:
    A relationship is not going to begin if you don't like the way they look. A relationship is not going to last if you're not in love with their personality.

I can't imagine this being untrue for anyone. This is why I hate people putting a percentage on looks and personality. It makes no sense to say 'I go for 60% personality and 40% looks'. Wtf does that even mean? You need both for a relationship to work, everyone knows that... there's no way of putting a number on it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy. Personality and looks are important.

ReputationRep:
    The results of this poll are absolute balls. A majority of guys saying personality matters more than looks? Sure, personality might be very important to you (and it definitely is to me.) But would you honestly sleep with/ date someone you considered outright ugly? I doubt it.

Also, what does the word 'personality' mean to girls? If it's really as important as you say, then I'm guessing having a 'great personality' is pretty much synonymous with being uber confident.

ReputationRep:
    Personality is important but initial attraction definitely comes from looks.

ReputationRep:
    Well a few years ago I would have said that looks mattered more to me... but ever since dating some absolute *********, who did have decent looks i'll give them that, I've now changed my view on this. Ever since I've met someone who has an amazing personality and has absolutely won me over with it, I would say i'm much more in love with him than I was with any of my ex's. We connect through personality- and at the end of the day for me personally the personality now matters much more than the looks, although of course i'm not going to deny that a pretty face and a nice body doesn't help... but it's not everything. A relationship for me... and i reckon a lot of people cannot live off of a sexual attraction, there needs to be more there.. so thats why i said personality :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy and personality is most important, but looks matter somewhat

ReputationRep:
    Both equal. I'm very open and it's no good dating the best looking person ever if I'm just going to spend the whole time going 'That wasn't nice. Why would you say that? How can you not care about[...] Well I disagree with that totally. Why are you so quiet/Why do you never let me speak?' like some sort of nagging housewife :p:

ReputationRep:
    50/50 for me!

(Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    Both equal. I'm very open and it's no good dating the best looking person ever if I'm just going to spend the whole time going 'That wasn't nice. Why would you say that? How can you not care about[...] Well I disagree with that totally. Why are you so quiet/Why do you never let me speak?' like some sort of nagging housewife :p:
    Yeah that's pretty much my nightmare scenario, although it's not always because they're boring; sometimes they're just very unconfident.

Although the lack of confidence often makes them boring :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Yeah that's pretty much my nightmare scenario, although it's not always because they're boring; sometimes they're just very unconfident.

Although the lack of confidence often makes them boring :mmm:
    Hahaha nice. I wasn't thinking of boring actually, I was thinking of my flatmate that is quite bigoted and the complete opposite of me, and most trips out anywhere end up with him shushing me, or one of us ditching the other. Although I suppose obviously a 'dating' relationship that flawed would never even get off the ground.

Or did you mean your nightmare would be someone like me picking over everything? :p:

ReputationRep:
    attraction initially yes of course, but personality decides whether it can be maintained and if the relationship will work. but i voted equally matters personality definitely does help a lot though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    attraction initially yes of course, but personality decides whether it can be maintained and if the relationship will work. but i voted equally matters personality definitely does help a lot though.
    I have a personality then? :beard:

Or did you make the exception for me? :sad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.