Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who else is doing this exam?? Which topic have you chose?
    And how is everyone feeling about it?:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Tectonic hazards
    There doesn't seem to be much about effect on landscape, which is good.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely tectonic hazards. There is so much you can write. This should be the easiest exam of the 4 in january

ReputationRep:
    I've chose to do cultural diversity! Didn't seem the easiest choice at first, but now i've done all my notes and have an idea of what the question may be like, i'm feeling alright about it
    Wanna do well in it know, saves me doing retakes in june! :woop:

ReputationRep:
    I am doing the life on the margins one.. kind of looks tricky but oh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockingreviser)
    I am doing the life on the margins one.. kind of looks tricky but oh well
    I'm doing life on the margins too :|
    But I'm really stuck for case studies and its soooo close, i'm actually so scared
    What case studies do you have? :/
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhii)
    I'm doing life on the margins too :|
    But I'm really stuck for case studies and its soooo close, i'm actually so scared
    What case studies do you have? :/
    :confused:

Umm I have done a soup kitchen, GM, Desertification prevention techniques, self help schemes and fairtrade... what have you done and what are you revising I am still a bit confused about what ACTUALLY i should be learning...

ReputationRep:
    Umm I have done a soup kitchen, GM, Desertification prevention techniques, self help schemes and fairtrade... what have you done and what are you revising I am still a bit confused about what ACTUALLY i should be learning...
    Im also doing life on the margins.
    Where inparticular are your case studies for GM; obviously the USA and Brazil are big producers of GM crops; but then where in the USA are GM crops extensively used? Or can we just refer to the country as a whole?
    Also, apparently we need national case studies to refer to as well; i've found it hard to find any when googling with most being from a few years back when we were trialing GM on around 100 farms across the country. Do you know whether/where the UK grows GM today?

And a good case study for you to add is the Great Green Wall of China;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mon...ts/1199218.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orca92)
    Im also doing life on the margins.
    Where inparticular are your case studies for GM; obviously the USA and Brazil are big producers of GM crops; but then where in the USA are GM crops extensively used? Or can we just refer to the country as a whole?
    Also, apparently we need national case studies to refer to as well; i've found it hard to find any when googling with most being from a few years back when we were trialing GM on around 100 farms across the country. Do you know whether/where the UK grows GM today?

And a good case study for you to add is the Great Green Wall of China;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mon...ts/1199218.stm
    Umm for GM I am doing the company Monsanto (more about America exporting GM), don't have much specifics just the profit motive, R&D and then the strenghts and weaknesses (including worries over interlectual property rights and things).. Also yesterday researched a bit on fairtrade. WHat do you want the question to be? I want it to be on key players!

ReputationRep:
    I reckon the question will be something like, 'Assess the role of key players in terms of management of food security.' Worded a bit better than that though :p:

My detailed case studies anyway -

Monsanto and the U.S Corn Belt
    Green Wall, China
    CONACADO, Dominican Republic
    Urban Agriculture, Cuba
    WFP, Ethiopia
    FARM-Africa, Sudan

Then a couple of mini case-studies that I can contrast the above with.

ReputationRep:
    How many case studies does everyone have?
    I'm doing cultural diverstiy question and i have 5!
    Is that enough, or should i just focus on expanding these 5 further?

ReputationRep:
    Umm for GM I am doing the company Monsanto (more about America exporting GM), don't have much specifics just the profit motive, R&D and then the strenghts and weaknesses (including worries over interlectual property rights and things).. Also yesterday researched a bit on fairtrade. WHat do you want the question to be? I want it to be on key players!
    Yep, monsato seems to be the one that everyones doing; no idea which states they are most active in though.
    tbh id prefer a quite vague question; something like 'examine the range of management strategies to combat food insecurity' or something like that; i could then use a range of case studies.
    As far as players go, i've not really done much on them; i guess thats pretty vague as well; its just linking case studies to the NGO's, governments, individuals etc that implemented the management.

Well, good luck for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Yeah good luck guys......

ReputationRep:
    how did everyone find it?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty straight forward, would have struggled myself to pick a more simple question really.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it went good
    Question i got was focused on what i revised,
    so am pretty happy:woo:

ReputationRep:
    how did everyone find it?
    (Original post by RTom)
    Pretty straight forward, would have struggled myself to pick a more simple question really.
    What scales did you break it down into?

I focused on
    large scale top down, china and its great green wall;
    medium scale, Havanas urban farms;
    and small scale bottom up, incredible edible todmorden.

But then i had a friend who focused on managing different areas of the food production sequence. So they focused on production, consumption, distribution, waste management etc as their different scales.

ReputationRep:
    Largely -

Short term relief
    Capacity building
    System redesign

But I also brought in the idea of top down and bottom up with regards to the Green Wall (Technocentric top down) and Cuba (Grass-roots movement). Overall, really working towards a conclusion that a balance is needed.

ReputationRep:
    I went through key players on different scales

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im doing culture too, anyone got any information on localised culture for the exam?

ConLat

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 12, 2011

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.