Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have already received offers from Sheffield for Medical Genetics (MBiolSci) and from Nottingham for Biochemistry and Genetics (MSci). I have tried to switch to Human Genetics (MSci) at Nott, but they may not accept me. Which one should I choose, which one is supposed to be better : biochemistry and genetics or medical genetics? Which are better in terms of career prospectus? Also, which is the difference between the MBiolSci and MSci, which is supposed to be higher? Also, if I was to receive an offer from Bristol as well, also for Biochem and Genetics (MSci),...would it be better than Nott or Sheff?

Thank you in advance and I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered before ! All the best !

ReputationRep:
    Just go for the uni and course you like best. None are supposed to be better - the 'better' one is the course that suits you the best. what are your career aims?

ReputationRep:
    I would love to become a forensic scientist or a genetic counsellor...still to decide about that one, too...by the way, could and MBiolSci or MSci in Genetics lead to one of these two careers, or would I need a special MSci in forensic science or/and genetic counselling?

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably learn much the same in both degrees as they heavily overlap. Look at the syllabus of both courses and choose which one you prefer. I would add though that a good grounding in biochemistry will be benificial for job opportunities.

The Sheffield degree has a larger research project by the looks of it, but both are undergrad masters and on paper, hold the same weight.

EDIT: Having had a (quick) look at both courses, they are pretty similar to be honest, maybe the Sheffield one has more of a clinical outlook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACCN)
    I would love to become a forensic scientist or a genetic counsellor...still to decide about that one, too...by the way, could and MBiolSci or MSci in Genetics lead to one of these two careers, or would I need a special MSci in forensic science or/and genetic counselling?
    See my above post for the degree.

As far as I'm aware, most forensic scientists have a relevant postgrad. I think it is actually a requirement. Take a look at the MSc at Strathclyde, it has the oldest forensic school in the UK and is considered one of the best,

ReputationRep:
    I am having troubles deciding which BSc course to take, I got offers for Genetics and Biochemistry for the same uni. I don't know which one to choose o.o;

Someone help me please T__T

ReputationRep:
    Thank you again for replying...I know the decission is all mine, but having someone other's opinion helps, so thank you...

Why is the MSci an undergraduate degree?...isn't there any difference between a BSc and an MSci (except for the obvious extra year)? Doesn't it have more credits? Doesn't it look better for the CV?...than what is the advantage of having completed an MSci?

I applied, as I said for Biochemistry & Genetics, but I am not so keen on chemistry, although my final exam is at chemistry..that is why I transfered to Medical Genetics....but...did you mean that a degree in Biochemistry would look better than one in just Genetics, Medical Genetics or whatever?

Thank you again and all the best !

ReputationRep:
    Yes, an undergraduate MSci is better than BSc. It tends to prepare graduates better for the likes of postgraduate research. And if you don't do a postgrad, it will demonstrate a better aptitude for research than just a BSc.

You'll be learning a good bit of biochemistry whichever one you choose, but the one at Sheffield will have a more clinical outlook. I've had a look at the Biochem and Genetics on Sheffield aswell, and they are almost the same. The only big difference may be the choices for 4th year lab projects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haruhi)
    I am having troubles deciding which BSc course to take, I got offers for Genetics and Biochemistry for the same uni. I don't know which one to choose o.o;

Someone help me please T__T
    Well again, both degrees have a common first year and a lot of the second year too. You may even be able to swap before you enter second year, so you could email and find that out. With the biochemistry degree you'll still learn genetics, just not in as much detail. But you'll also learn other aspects of molecular biology such as immunology, proteomics etc. The genetics course is pretty self explanatory, you won't stray to far away from the study of the genome, protein expression, genetic biotech.

If you have a dead set plan career-wise in genetics, you may want to go with genetics. But if your plans are open, and possibly want to go on to research, biochem would give you a very good overview of other aspects of molecular biology which you may find yourself more interested in. You could still easily go on to research in genetics with a biochemistry degree for example, and there will definitely be genetics based research projects in 3rd year.

For a bit of an example on how versatile a biochem degree is, my current molecular genetics lecturer graduated in biochemistry. And my immunology professor also graduated in biochemistry (I study joint honours Biochem and Immunology).

Hope that helped a bit, and all the best.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you again for everything ! This information and these pieces of advise served me well, and I am sure others will find them useful as well.

All the best !

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.