Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok heres the background info:
    - Im studying A2-level maths at the moment having already done modules, C1, C2, C3, M1 and in the process of doing C4 so obviously I need one more module (S1 or M2). My exam board is edexcel btw.
    - Applied to uni to do something which has no relation to maths at all.

Anyway, I am stuck between the two. On one hand from what I've heard S1 seems a bit of a walk in the park and M2 or any mechanics module in general seem very difficult. In truth, I've done M1 and found it to be alright. But from my own experience the exam papers certainly for M1 can vary considerably in terms of what they ask you and its difficulty.

I remember last year june 09, when the M1 paper was virtually impossible even though I did other past papers and found them to be fine. This is where my concern lies because it seems that mechanics paper is so unpredictable and the risk of meeting a dead-end paper like last year seems higher then in statistics.

I did fairly enjoy mechanics 1 from last year and from looking at statistics, the majority seems boring except for probability. The problem is whether I should go for mechanics 2 and risk everything because I won't get a second chance if I mess up (need to meet uni requirements) OR do I go for the 'safer' option of good-old predictable
    S1. I need people who have experience of doing 'S1' or 'M2' to comment on the difficulty and sort of work involved in the module and the level of the predictablity of the exam papers.

By the way, does doing 'S1' widen more career options at all?
    Just out of curiousity would doing 'M2' not be ideal for a career in medicine or banking?
    Finally, does doing the more difficult 'M2' seem better in the eyes of employers and universities?

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA mechanics so ive done C1 C2 C3 M1 M2 so far and am doing C4 now. apparently Edexcel isn't that much different according to my teacher who taught it last year. All the people ive spoken to who do stats say its boring as hell but easy. M2 is quite a bit harder than M1 but is a good subject (interesting and not impossible). I can only speak from what ive seen of AQA but id say go for M2. Its also probably got more crossover with the other modules than S1 so in that respect you might find it easier.

ReputationRep:
    You don't list your modules on your CV and M2 is way better.

ReputationRep:
    Do S1, I'm sure you're more than an able student and I'm not. I went to literally two classes and crammed and still got 94%. Walk in the park.

ReputationRep:
    M2 definitely. Much more enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    For OCR MEI, Mechanics 2 grade boundaries last year were something like 47/72 to get an A. By far the lowest grade boundaries for all the OCR MEI modules.

Make your own conclusions from that. Enjoyment wise, well Mechanics 2 is probably more interesting. And with generally low grade boundaries I guess the risk is less than you'd think. But most of my Maths teachers and people I've spoken to have said M2 is probably the hardest module to grasp and understand, especially as there are so many different questions they could ask you.

S1 if you work and 'get it'.....u need to fork out for an expensive statistics calculator that actually looks like a cheap AA battery made-in-china tetris game pad

ReputationRep:
    I have done OCR MEI S1, S2, M1 and M2, and trust me, M2 is a hell of a lot more difficult. In terms of universities' opinions on the different modules, yes M2 is a lot more respected - but only if you're applying for a Maths related degree. For other subjects, Maths A level is Maths A level.

Stats is boring, but if you want the best chance of getting a good grade, it's a much safer bet than M2. Despite it being a more 'enjoyable' module, M2 papers can be, at times, quite abstract, whereas S1 is always very straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    For OCR MEI, Mechanics 2 grade boundaries last year were something like 47/72 to get an A. By far the lowest grade boundaries for all the OCR MEI modules.

Make your own conclusions from that. Enjoyment wise, well Mechanics 2 is probably more interesting. And with generally low grade boundaries I guess the risk is less than you'd think. But most of my Maths teachers and people I've spoken to have said M2 is probably the hardest module to grasp and understand, especially as there are so many different questions they could ask you.
    This is because the OCR MEI Jun 09 M2 paper was ridiculously difficult, I almost cried haha. For most other years, the grade boundaries for an A have been significantly higher; the Jan 10 paper was a lot easier, and thus I don't imagine the grade boundaries will be anything like they were for the last session.

ReputationRep:
    I have done S1 and M2, and, to be honest, my best advice would be to point out that:

S1 requires a bit of an extension of GCSE stats work
    M2 is on a completely different level - it's so much more A Level

And yet, it's so easy to make a little mistake on S1, in something like calculating standard deviation.

So - I would say that if you are good at avoiding silly mistakes and suchlike (I'm not!), then go for S1 - definitely.
    I would only really consider M2 if you are utterly prone to making slips along the way, or - and it sounds stupid to say it - if your calculator is hard to work (there is nothing worse in a stats exam than having to go through and check that you entered 56^2+34^2+67^2+34^2+24^2+73^2+45 ^2+66^2 correctly!)

ReputationRep:
    I've done S1 and am sitting M2 on Friday, and I would say do S1 if you need to get the better grade. S1 is really quite easy, they give you most of the formulae you need to use in the booklet, all you need to learn is when to apply each formula really, and a basic understanding of probability. I don't think it would make a difference in the future, and universities wouldn't care, unless you're doing a maths course.

ReputationRep:
    M2, personally I found that it was easier than M1.

ReputationRep:
    I've done C1-C4, M1-M2 and I am going to do M3-M4 and FP1-FP3 and just had my S1 exam last week. [Edexcel]

M2 was very interesting for me, much more than S1 anyways. Although when people say S1 is a walk in the park, it is.

My lessons for S1 were all a doss, I never paid attention since it was soo boring. And so, in the final week, i finally got my head down and just learnt the material. S1 is more like blinding you with formulas that you do not know where they come from, and using them in the right way (which is fairly easy once you've learnt it). To this day, I still don't know where half the formulas come from and what they really mean lol.

M2 is more logical and you understand what's happening. And because of this, I was able to get pretty high marks. Even though it may be harder, imo, it was worth it, it didn't feel like a chore when learning. And I also took last years June 09 paper , the M1 paper was hard....harder than the m2 paper, many of my friends say so too. Still I got a lovely 98 lol :P

If you are gonna go into banking, S1 may be a little better than mechanics, but I have no experience on this side sorry :P

Also, if you just do all the Solomon papers for either module, you'll get good marks either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanyi)
    This is because the OCR MEI Jun 09 M2 paper was ridiculously difficult, I almost cried haha. For most other years, the grade boundaries for an A have been significantly higher; the Jan 09 paper was a lot easier, and thus I don't imagine the grade boundaries will be anything like they were for the last session.
    You did this paper too!
    It was very hard wasn't it - did it turn out right for you in the end?

I haven't seen the Jan '09 paper, so it's interesting to hear this.
    Here's to hoping that M3 will be an easy paper on Wednesday! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm at Uni atm doing Maths with French. I did maths and further maths at A2 level last year and so did S1+2, M1+2, D1+2, C1-4 AND FP1+2. I hated statistics with a passion but got an A on S1 (C on my resit of S2 mind...), an A in M1 and a B in M2.

Unfortunately I did S1 and M2 almost 18 months apart, but I'll try my best to help. If you've done M1 you know the kind of things you get asked in mechanics papers. M2 basically brings in more variables, more angles, more things to take into consideration. But, all in all, the thinking behind it is the same. I really enjoy that kinda thing because I can visualize the problem and use a bit of common sense to help with the question.

S1 is a completely different thing altogether. If you prefer analysing things, looking at data, using fairly complicated formulae to find certain outcomes that show things about your data, then maybe it's for you. Sorry to be biased but I hated stats

As for the career and uni part, I wouldn't worry about it. Once you get into uni everything's at a whole other level anyway and especially if you're not doing anything maths-related, realistically S1 is gonna be no more useful than the Plato module of Philosophy (not that that wasn't great fun...)

Looking at my grades for S1 and M2, and how everyone else in my year did in both of them, then S1 is probably slightly easier, especially considering I did S1 first and still did better in it. If you're looking for the difference of a grade to get yourself into uni and you like the sound of the Stats module, go for it. A lot of the people in my year didn't share my opinion of it, and you might like it too I have to agree with Wardy23 though.... In a nutshell Stats is boring but easier, whereas Mechanics is a challenge you can really get stuck into.

Good luck man.

Rory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    You did this paper too!
    It was very hard wasn't it - did it turn out right for you in the end?

I haven't seen the Jan '09 paper, so it's interesting to hear this.
    Here's to hoping that M3 will be an easy paper on Wednesday! :woo:
    I only sat the paper under mock conditions, a couple of days before sitting the Jan '10 paper. But I got 37/72! It was awful.

Jan '10 (I edited my post as I didn't mean '09 - though I have done that paper too as revision) was much more straightforward, I was incredibly relieved. Now to wait for the results in March!

Good luck on M3, I'm sitting it in June :]

ReputationRep:
    M2 Ftw!!!

ReputationRep:
    M2 is more fun, so go for it.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is really boring, but some people didn't think so, and if you got through M1 fine M2 should be OK; it's pretty much the same stuff just stepped up a little, S1 2009 was REALLY hard compared with previous papers, so it's just as unpredictable. Some people may see M2 as better but I don't think it really matters unless you're doing something subject-specific (which you say you're not). Bottom line: Do whatever you'll find more fun.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is easy and boring.
    M2 is fairly difficult and more interesting.

Take your pick.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.