Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    BACKGROUND INFO:
    I applied to Medicine despite most told me to reconsider, but I would rather be rejected then think I never took the risk. I have been rejected from Southampton, Cardiff and Peninsula, waiting for Brighton but is really unlikely. On feedback it is due to my grades. My personal statement and work experience was all great but the grades were a let down. My AS results were not amazing, I am retaking my AS's atm and have vowed to myself to ensure i get the A's by the end of my second year at college. I have always been a straight A student, but last year was not my best.
    WHAT NOW?
    I have been offered for Biomedical Science at St George University London and a Bachelor of Clinical Science at Peninisula instead of Med. Should I do the degree and apply grad or take a gap year, get the grades, travel, do work experience and re- apply next year?
    I know the pro's and con's of both--- but what would you do: Im stuck--- I would appreciate any advice/comments?

ReputationRep:
    Are you getting AAAs next year?

ReputationRep:
    I did Biomed and now I have an interview at Glasgow Med next month Biomed was hard work but totally worth it....PLUS you will have two degrees
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What were your predicted grades and AS grades then?

If you think you can get AAA or AAB in A2 by the end of your second year at college, and medicine is what you REALLY want to spend your life involved in then by all means take a gap year!

ReputationRep:
    if you thinking your gonna get As then hold the offer till you get them , if you get the stright As then turn the offer down and apply next year.If you dont , go to uni this year!

win win situation?

ReputationRep:
    Fusilero: Im working my ass off to get AAA by the end of this college year.

I<3LAMP: See that sounds amazing, and well done on your interview: Good Luck!!! Its just I know how damn competitive it is to get into medicine as a graduate student. Also do i really want to do a degree that i dont want to do? -- and then possibly face rejection again? Although ive had a good look at the StGeorge's curriculam and BioMed does look fascinating. By all means, if its the only way to get to medicine i will do it, it means to much to me.

vas876: predicted: AAAA, my AS results, lets just say, its too embarrassing to say. But yes ive been crazy revising this year, Im gonner do whatever it takes. It is what i REALLY pray to do, I understand what Im getting myself into, my work experience, GP, personal experiences have all ensured of that. Its just what i feel i was meant to do, its right. My cousin is a surgeon, so Ive heard from her too. Anyway, yes I think gap year does sound good.

reikazen: True That! Sounds like kick-ass advice! )

Thank you guys for your help!! DD

ReputationRep:
    I personally would re-take. I know doing Biomed gives you another degree, but thats the point, you will be doing another degree. Its time consuming, it requires a heck of a lot of effort, and for me personally, the university experience was a bit constrained becuase i was always worried about my work and making sure my grades were up to scratch etc etc. Everyones different, in my case i didnt have a realisitic chance of improving my A-Level grades, hence the route i took. But if your not far off, and think you can improve your grades then go for it. Just bear it mind that if you re-take, you might be restricted to the universities you apply to. But then graduate entry after a degree is even harder (due to competition per place). Decision is yours, it will be quite obvious what you should do once you sit down and weigh things up. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serenity1)
    Hiya,
    BACKGROUND INFO:
    I applied to Medicine despite most told me to reconsider, but I would rather be rejected then think I never took the risk. I have been rejected from Southampton, Cardiff and Peninsula, waiting for Brighton but is really unlikely. On feedback it is due to my grades. My personal statement and work experience was all great but the grades were a let down. My AS results were not amazing, I am retaking my AS's atm and have vowed to myself to ensure i get the A's by the end of my second year at college. I have always been a straight A student, but last year was not my best.
    WHAT NOW?
    I have been offered for Biomedical Science at St George University London and a Bachelor of Clinical Science at Peninisula instead of Med. Should I do the degree and apply grad or take a gap year, get the grades, travel, do work experience and re- apply next year?
    I know the pro's and con's of both--- but what would you do: Im stuck--- I would appreciate any advice/comments?
    Hey, I think you should put either of them as your firm, but if you get the grades then withdraw and reapply for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it depends on your grades, as it's only worth holding off if you are confident you can 100% get the grades on your A levels.

It also depends what you want to get out of life in general. For me, doing biomedical first was ideal as it gave me a chance to work and save money, as well as take time out and travel the world, which for me was a big dream. If you aren't interested in that though, it would basically make it harder for you in the long run to do biomed first, as I'm sure you know it would make the whole process more expensive and harder to get into GEPs than it is the 5-year.

ReputationRep:
    everything depends on what you get in your Alevel. I'd decide after getting the alevel results in august

If they are all As or above, I say gap year.

If they are not all As or below, I say biomed

just read my signature.

ReputationRep:
    i have got to make this decision aswel.. no idea what to do

got 4 rejections for medicine.. but an offer for biomedical science

ReputationRep:
    Here's my dilemma...really need opinions...

I do not know whether I should study biomedicine at Imperial- for which i have an offer, and try my best to perform well on the course- get a First, a lot of work experience and show myself to them- since the course is in the faculty of medicine, and apply for the graduate entry course-A104- or apply again next year with A Levels( if i do the a levels, im predicted A* in all my 4 subjects) as I applied with USA Advanced Placement exams this year.(9 A* GCSE)-didnt get into any med schools this year..

Thing is im international (for some reason all the undergrad places go to far eastern students!!), both ways my chances are slim, but i guess if i do biomed ( as it seems imperial only has 50 places to offer nd their requirements are harder than all the others) this year, ill have a better chance of showing my ability and enthusiasm....

What do you guys think i should do?

ReputationRep:
    Take the biomed offer if you get all med rejections
    come august if you get the grades with draw from UCAS. Gap year & reapply
    if you don't get the grades then atleast you have a decent biomed offer

Personnally if I could avoid doing biomed I really would it's hard work when it's not what you really wanna do

ReputationRep:
    I kind of know how you feel. This time last year I had 4 rejections and one BBB offer which was given as a substitute for medicine.

I didn't want to have worked my ass off to accept a BBB course, so I took a gap year and re-applied. This year has been the complete opposite! I had 4 interviews and have had 2 offers so far!
    I think it depends on how confident you are that you will get the grades, so maybe accept the biomed and wait til results, then reject and take a gap year if you get what you need?
    Before I left school i was adamant that i wasn't a 'gap year' person (what on earth would i do with a whole year off??), but now i absolutely love it and haven't looked back. I'm going to India in a couple of months to volunteer in hospitals and clinics and this is something which i would probably only get one chance in my life to do (unless i went on an elective). I would say if you get the grades, go for it! It's so much easier to prepare for interviews etc when you don't have school work to do at the same time.

I would say just be prepared for possibly taking a gap year and start thinking about what you could do in it soon, so you can get organised.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    jees90:

Hey! Congrats on your offers!
    I really understand what you mean when you say "once in a lifetime" in terms of the gap year.

May I ask what grades you got for your A levels in the end?

Thanks you

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I'm kinda in the same situation and im not sure what to do...
    I applied to Sheffield, King's, St.George's, Queen Mary's for medicine and Nottingham for biomedicine... St.George's and Shefiield rejected me already, Nottingham said they're prepared to offer me a place for biomed and King's and queen's havent got back to me yet.... My UKCAT score was average and im only turning 17 this year. Will applying for medicine at the age of 17 lead me to straight rejects, cse i heard that they want med apps to be 18+.... so im not sure what to do, whether to take the biomed offer should the other 2 reject me and then apply for med after that or take a gap year and apply for med next yr?
    I already have LOADS of volunteer work done since im doing IB and its part of the criteria, I've gone to Vietnam to do volunteer work with my school, I've been part of reading programmes for less well-off kids etc
    No idea what my predicteds are cse my school doesnt wanna tell anyone but im pretty sure im at least 30/45 points cse of nottingham's possible offer.
    Any advice? Should i take gap year or biomed (expensive and 3 yrs extra)?

ReputationRep:
    As a graduate myself, up until now I have always advocated doing a degree over a gap-year. Because gap-years are a lateral move whereas doing a degree will keep your life moving forward, even if it does mean taking a more awkward route. You might not use a lot of what you learn on your degree and you might repeat a fair portion of it again at med school but at the end of the day you'll know more for it, and have more expeirences.

But with the changes in university finance you would need to bear in mind that you'd be graduating with about £25K from your first degree (under the current system) and £70K (which you probably won't get funding for) from medicine which is an absurd admount of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airtones)
    As a graduate myself, up until now I have always advocated doing a degree over a gap-year. Because gap-years are a lateral move whereas doing a degree will keep your life moving forward, even if it does mean taking a more awkward route. You might not use a lot of what you learn on your degree and you might repeat a fair portion of it again at med school but at the end of the day you'll know more for it, and have more expeirences.

But with the changes in university finance you would need to bear in mind that you'd be graduating with about £25K from your first degree (under the current system) and £70K (which you probably won't get funding for) from medicine which is an absurd admount of money.
    by 'graduating with £25' you mean that's what i'll be paying in terms of fees, or what i'd be earning? Sorry its a stupid question but yeah..., what did you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingThiv)
    by 'graduating with £25' you mean that's what i'll be paying in terms of fees, or what i'd be earning? Sorry its a stupid question but yeah..., what did you mean?
    I expect he's talking about debt from student loans/other loans that are obtained to pay for the course fees and living costs while undertaking the courses. Personally I'm going to have ~£30K worth of debt from tuition fee and maintenance loans from the £3K cap on tuition fees so with the fees rising to ~£9K, debt will be much higher.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Kind of the same situation. I can either do gap year then to medicine or i can just do biochem. ?? Thoughts /comments would be usefull. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.