Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you leave sixth form with AAA (to be fair, as most medicine applicants/potentials do) take a gap year and reapply. Do not aim for GEM as a 'back up' - ask any of the graduates on here, it is significantly more difficult than undergraduate entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    If you leave sixth form with AAA (to be fair, as most medicine applicants/potentials do) take a gap year and reapply. Do not aim for GEM as a 'back up' - ask any of the graduates on here, it is significantly more difficult than undergraduate entry.
    That should be a sticky!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by winter_mute)
    That should be a sticky!
    I agree! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say take a gap year if you have the grades and stuff, I'm at SGUL doing biomed and even though it's not too bad the course and uni itself, but then again I had no option.

ReputationRep:
    Here's what you do:

1) Accept the offer for now
    2) Get AAA
    3) Reject biomed offer
    4) Take gap year and apply for med

Postgrad med is more expensive + harder to get into

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serenity1)
    Hiya,
    BACKGROUND INFO:
    I applied to Medicine despite most told me to reconsider, but I would rather be rejected then think I never took the risk. I have been rejected from Southampton, Cardiff and Peninsula, waiting for Brighton but is really unlikely. On feedback it is due to my grades. My personal statement and work experience was all great but the grades were a let down. My AS results were not amazing, I am retaking my AS's atm and have vowed to myself to ensure i get the A's by the end of my second year at college. I have always been a straight A student, but last year was not my best.
    WHAT NOW?
    I have been offered for Biomedical Science at St George University London and a Bachelor of Clinical Science at Peninisula instead of Med. Should I do the degree and apply grad or take a gap year, get the grades, travel, do work experience and re- apply next year?
    I know the pro's and con's of both--- but what would you do: Im stuck--- I would appreciate any advice/comments?
    It seems your grades were the obvious stumbling block to your application.

If you got at least AAA in the summer I would advise you consider taking a gap year and reapply for Medicine taking on board all the feedback you received from medical schools and improve your application for next time. You've still to hear back from BSMS so I would wait on them.

Be careful about going straight into Biomedicine. If your heart is set on Medicine you may not enjoy the course and remember you'd need to get at least a 2:1 or above to be considered for graduate medicine.

Also, you could apply during your first year of biomed assuming you have the grades (AAA) and depending if the universities are willing to consider you given that you started another course. Some will say yes others will say no. I was in a similar position where I had the grades but started Pharmacy. I applied during my first year of Pharmacy and when I got my offer I left Pharmacy for Medicine but I was very much restricted in the number of places I could apply to.

Just focus on those exams for now and then decide come the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.. Im an international so it wud be very competitive to reapply after a gap year.. And im doing IB. There's a transfer after 1st year in newcastle uni and i have an offer. If I cant transfer then ill go to grad medicine or even apply to 5 year course as a grad due to the competition.
    Whatya think i should do? Since im international, keep in mind that gap year means ill still compete for abt 10-20 international places per uni on average. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeyurttaser13)
    Hey guys.. Im an international so it wud be very competitive to reapply after a gap year.. And im doing IB. There's a transfer after 1st year in newcastle uni and i have an offer. If I cant transfer then ill go to grad medicine or even apply to 5 year course as a grad due to the competition.
    Whatya think i should do? Since im international, keep in mind that gap year means ill still compete for abt 10-20 international places per uni on average. Thanks
    Idont understand why reapplication after a gap year as an international would make it any more competitive than normal...

applying as a grad even to 5 years courses would be equally competitive if not more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoldbaby)
    Idont understand why reapplication after a gap year as an international would make it any more competitive than normal...

applying as a grad even to 5 years courses would be equally competitive if not more
    no i meant the competition wont differ a lot.. and it is more competitive compared to local students. sorry if i cudnt make myself very clear.
    and btw, im going to try the biomed to med transfer after first year at newcastle uni, i know it is going to be very competitive. if i am unsuccessful then im going to take the longer route.
    P.S: i thought of a gap year and wanted to do it, but my parents are not looking at it in a good way. they think id forget half of what i know.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2012

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.