Turn on thread page Beta

Is a BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners recognized by universities? watch

ReputationRep:
    btec and college is for losers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krussel)
    I think I want to do a degree in Information and communications in university, but is that btec diploma recognized? It says on my college website it is equivalent to 3 a levels, but will universities accept me with it? I have checked on the ucas website for universities such as birmingham which does the course i'd like to do, but i'm confused it does mention about a btech diploma but says

BTEC National Diploma (18 units) (not including Early Years)

Acceptability Acceptable on its own & combined with other qualifications
    Required grades Distinction, Merit, Merit
    Subjects and grades required Engineering

So i'm not sure whether to just do 3 standard a levels in ICT, Business studies and psychology instead?

Yes most of them accept BTEC as im doing a BTEC National Diploma in IT practioners and i am applying for 2010 entry and have offers.

ReputationRep:
    They accept it but you need to do a BTEC in I.T engineering or related subject.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraa91)
    Yes most of them accept BTEC as im doing a BTEC National Diploma in IT practioners and i am applying for 2010 entry and have offers.

Ah I see, what university course are you applying for though ?

ReputationRep:
    so is the BTEC course I want to do 'related', seems it?
    Best way to find out is to contact the University.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see, what university course are you applying for though ?
    im applying for information systems but other people on my course are applying for computer science, graphics, game development, web design, some are even going for sports science, education with psychology, so you should be fine (: i think all accept BTEC's to be honest

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    thanks , just it says 'Subjects and grades required
    Engineering' does that mean i need engineering because don't think I would be doing that
    Well what course are you looking to do at uni? because there is a number of variations of the IT practioners course.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do a computing course a good uni why don't you pick subjects like maths, computing and physics?

Do you actually have any idea how much work goes into a BTEC? I doubt you have ever even looked at one.
    I have, and it's not much.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Information and communications I think sounds like the best one for me? Just don't want to be stuck because universities with a good computing course don't accept the btec course.
    You won't be stuck....trust me....if you get DDD at the end of a BTEC you can apply ANYWHERE yes including oxford if you like, dont listen to the person above, im doing a BTEC and currently applying to universities, and one person on my course is applying to cambridge, so ignore them.

I dont mean to sound so arrogant but people who think BTEC's are for stupid people clearly have never met someone who takes one or has looked at one.

You won't be stuck....trust me....if you get DDD at the end of a BTEC you can apply ANYWHERE yes including oxford if you like, dont listen to the person above, im doing a BTEC and currently applying to universities, and one person on my course is applying to cambridge, so ignore them.

I dont mean to sound so arrogant but people who think BTEC's are for stupid people clearly have never met someone who takes one or has looked at one.
    Like I said, I've met and seen the BTEC material and it does not compare whatsoever to the workload of pure AS/A2s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I have, and it's not much.
    Yes I thought this when i first looked at the course before I started it and when I started I was quite shocked, and the amount of work you sometimes get is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing BND IT Practitioners and A level Mathematics, Have offers from Bath and Glasgow, Interviews at Essex and Birmingham (backups) and waiting to hear from St. Andrews.

It's fairly well recognized.

ReputationRep:
    Ive done the course, 2 years ago. I found it interesting. Regretted doing the Higher National Diploma alot though.

I learned alot from it, HTML, amongst the variants, xml, java, asp, sql. Id recommend it if your into computing. I also did an A+ module, but im not sure they still run that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Like I said, I've met and seen the BTEC material and it does not compare whatsoever to the workload of pure AS/A2s.
    Look at the end of the day I do a BTEC, and it is the same level as A-levels, there are different levels of BTEC from the introductory level to the national diploma...

my point being they are both worth exactly the same and all uni's consider both being the same also.

ReputationRep:
    This is something I'm genuinely curious about. The coursework that you have to do for your BTEC- is it checked over by a tutor and then you can have it back to change it, a bit like the coursework you do for A Level? Because, if that's true, that surely makes BTECs a lot easier than A levels where you have to do an exam and you only get one shot at it (and maybe a retake xD)
    Because anyone can keep improving and improving upon it until they get a distinction surely?

*if this is wrong then obviously I take it all back- I am curious though*

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.