Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    btec and college is for losers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshio-takeuchi)
    P.E. is a BTEC...that says it all really. All it is doing is preparing people for unskilled/low skilled jobs. If 20k a year for the rest of your life if your ideal lifestyle. Doing a BTEC is your ticket to that ever elusive dream.
    It is not preparing you for low skilled jobs at all, i know plenty of people who have done BTECs and have gone on to good universities, i think your stupid for thinking such things, arrogant, we all work on the same level, just in slightly different ways and you cannot gain some of the experience and do some of the units in A-levels which you can on a BTEC

ReputationRep:

(Original post by caraa91)
    Look at the end of the day I do a BTEC, and it is the same level as A-levels, there are different levels of BTEC from the introductory level to the national diploma...

my point being they are both worth exactly the same and all uni's consider both being the same also.
    Let's get one thing clear; I have nothing against the BTEC. But having seen the material, and from experience of individuals that have done said qualification, it is a recognised qualification, however individuals that have done it have struggled on the next 'level'.

I know several individuals that did the BTEC alternative to GCSEs and once they started their AS course found it rather demanding and struggled. It's the same at University level. I know a couple of individuals that did the BTEC qualification instead of AS/A2. It did get them into good Universities (Cardiff and Edinburgh) but once there, again found the BTEC didn't prepare them successfully for the workload there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amizzle91)
    This is something I'm genuinely curious about. The coursework that you have to do for your BTEC- is it checked over by a tutor and then you can have it back to change it, a bit like the coursework you do for A Level? Because, if that's true, that surely makes BTECs a lot easier than A levels where you have to do an exam and you only get one shot at it (and maybe a retake xD)
    Because anyone can keep improving and improving upon it until they get a distinction surely?

*if this is wrong then obviously I take it all back- I am curious though*
    You get it back once just like in A-level after you change it slight that is it, you are no longer able to do anything with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krussel)
    I'd just be doing the practitioners course, not another a level so i guess you'd be more recognized than myself?
    A level maths is only required from the top group of unis, and they still recognize the BND. Maths is only required as proof of your ability to cope with the mathematical content of the degree.

A large number of universities in the top 20 accept it.

Southampton (ranked 4th for computer science by the Times good University Guide when I was looking) accept it for entry on to their foundation year, progressing to a Comp. Sci. degree.

I compiled a spreadsheet with a list of universities that accept BND ICT and the grades they require. Would you like me to send you a copy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Let's get one thing clear; I have nothing against the BTEC. But having seen the material, and from experience of individuals that have done said qualification, it is a recognised qualification, however individuals that have done it have struggled on the next 'level'.

I know several individuals that did the BTEC alternative to GCSEs and once they started their AS course found it rather demanding and struggled. It's the same at University level. I know a couple of individuals that did the BTEC qualification instead of AS/A2. It did get them into good Universities (Cardiff and Edinburgh) but once there, again found the BTEC didn't prepare them successfully for the workload there.

Well i cant comment on other people or how the colleges they went to worked from a workload point of view but my college put pressure on and have 100% pass rates for both BTEC's and A-levels so clearly i go to a good college. There is never a moment i am without work lets put it that way.

ReputationRep:
    btec and college is for losers.

ReputationRep:
    This is something I'm genuinely curious about. The coursework that you have to do for your BTEC- is it checked over by a tutor and then you can have it back to change it, a bit like the coursework you do for A Level? Because, if that's true, that surely makes BTECs a lot easier than A levels where you have to do an exam and you only get one shot at it (and maybe a retake xD)
    Because anyone can keep improving and improving upon it until they get a distinction surely?

*if this is wrong then obviously I take it all back- I am curious though*
    The coursework you do is marked by your teachers then by an examminer to make sure your teachers marked it right. At least mine was.

And no you only get one shot to improve your grade (at least in my college and this was when you finished all the other 18 modules and had nothing to do for say the last month of term) and when I did it was usually your lowest grade. You couldn't change anything only add to it like more coursework or development work.

I did two BTECs in Art and design and now I'm doing the more or less compulsory foundation diploma.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)

I'm going to second this. My personal tutor said it too. While BTECs can get you there, you have to work like hell to play catchup (and the shock of exams and the complete lack of exam preparation was also a bit of a nightmare for me personally) and even he does not consider them to be worth 360 UCAS points.

They're not a dreadful route, they're quite fun actually but just be prepared to work a little harder at uni to be at the same level as coursemates.

ReputationRep:
    You get it back once just like in A-level after you change it slight that is it, you are no longer able to do anything with it.
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    The coursework you do is marked by your teachers then by an examminer to make sure your teachers marked it right. At least mine was.

And no you only get one shot to improve your grade (at least in my college and this was when you finished all the other 18 modules and had nothing to do for say the last month of term) and when I did it was usually your lowest grade. You couldn't change anything only add to it like more coursework or development work.

I did two BTECs in Art and design and now I'm doing the more or less compulsory foundation diploma.
    Thanks for answering my question. Sounds a lot like when I did my A Level coursework, but obviously on a larger scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    I'm going to second this. My personal tutor said it too. While BTECs can get you there, you have to work like hell to play catchup (and the shock of exams and the complete lack of exam preparation was also a bit of a nightmare for me personally) and even he does not consider them to be worth 360 UCAS points.

They're not a dreadful route, they're quite fun actually but just be prepared to work a little harder at uni to be at the same level as coursemates.
    I do realise that because I haven't done exams while at college I am not going to be used to them but I am willing to do all I need to do at uni, i am expecting it to be harder and I expect exams, so I am not going into it thinking it will be the same. At the end of the day it doesnt mattet if you do a BTEC or A-level its how much effort you put into them and how much effort you put into your degree once at uni.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for answering my question. Sounds a lot like when I did my A Level coursework, but obviously on a larger scale.
    You're welcome I think my year was the last to do exams though in the national diploma in art. I can't remember as I recall my teachers at the time telling me it was. Not sure if it was strictly just my college adopting a different btec or it was on a whole.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    I do realise that because I haven't done exams while at college I am not going to be used to them but I am willing to do all I need to do at uni, i am expecting it to be harder and I expect exams, so I am not going into it thinking it will be the same. At the end of the day it doesnt mattet if you do a BTEC or A-level its how much effort you put into them and how much effort you put into your degree once at uni.
    I agree. If you're willing to work once your BTEC has got you there then you'll be fine. I absolutely adore university and the frantic chaos of having to learn so much after finishing my BTEC.

ReputationRep:
    I think the problem with BTEC's, is that people (inc me) have pre-concieved ideas of the type of people that do them. At the end of Year 11, all of the chavs at my school went to the local college and did BTEC's, while the majority of the... "smarter" or more dedicated people stayed on for A-levels. Admittedly a couple of my friends that went off to the college are applying to some decent Uni's, but I still personally feel A-levels are more recognised than BTEC's. Nothing against anyone that does a BTEC of course.

ReputationRep:
    You won't be stuck....trust me....if you get DDD at the end of a BTEC you can apply ANYWHERE yes including oxford if you like, dont listen to the person above, im doing a BTEC and currently applying to universities, and one person on my course is applying to cambridge, so ignore them.

I dont mean to sound so arrogant but people who think BTEC's are for stupid people clearly have never met someone who takes one or has looked at one.
    Not to be too much of a git, but there's a world of difference between applying and getting a place. Not that I've the knowledge of all this to actually guess the answer as yea or nea, but just because you apply doesn't mean much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTstudies)
    I think the problem is with BTEC's, is that people (inc me) have pre-concieved ideas of the type of people that do them. At the end of Year 11, all of the chavs at my school went to the local college and did BTEC's, while all of the... "smarter" or more dedicated people stayed on for A-levels. Admittedly a couple of my friends that went off to the college are applying to some decent Uni's, but I still personally feel A-levels are more recognised than BTEC's. Nothing against anyone that does a BTEC of course.
    I do see how A levels are more recognised but BTECs are much newer in comparison to A levels, so give them a chance. If BTECs were really that bad they would of been scrapped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 46Bit)
    Not to be too much of a git, but there's a world of difference between applying and getting a place. Not that I've the knowledge of all this to actually guess the answer as yea or nea, but just because you apply doesn't mean much.

Yes but you would not apply to a uni that you didnt have a chance in hell of getting into now would you?

ReputationRep:
    I think the animosity against people doing BTEC is unfair. Yes, many people who "can't do A-Levels" do BTECs but not everyone doing a BTEC isn't capable of doing A-Levels. Surely it's their choice to do them, and I'm sure that most of them are well aware of what they'll be able to do once they've completed the course. I did A Levels, that was my choice, and I'm happy with that. It's no-one else's business what they do for further education.

OP, if you feel that, from what you've researched that BTECs are the right choice for you, then go ahead. It appears that they are recognised by most Universities.

Also, the "argument" about EMA is totally ridiculous.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.