Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year of uni and people are starting to look at getting flats for next year, but i'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've got several options to choose from and i dont know which one i should pick! advice please!!

1. one of my closest friends has asked me to get a flat with her. however, we would also be living with 2 of her friends, a boy who i know quite well but also a girl who i've only met a couple of times. i'd love to live with my close friend and i know i get along with the boy but should i risk living with the girl even though i don't know her?? she seems nice enough but living with someone is a big step...

the other thing i'm worried about is that i know the boy is big on nights out and partying. i do like parties and going out but not as much as he does and i'm worried about the effect it would have on my uni work...

2. I could get a flat with one other girl. She's nice enough and I live with her at the moment but I only met her circumstancially in halls and i don't really have anything in common with her, although we do get along. What i'm worried about with this option is that it would just be us two which sounds rather isolating

3. Find a room and share a flat with people I've never met before

WHAT TO DO?! help please!

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the first option. You lived with people you didn't know before, and as long as you get along with them it should be fine. You don't have to go out every time the boy goes out either - just say you're tired or you've got work to do!

ReputationRep:
    Option 1. Just because you don't know her you see that as a risk? Are you always like that when you meet people? Were the strangers you moved in with in your first year that bad?

Regarding the guy, do you think if you asked him he'd let you go to sleep, or carry on partying all the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx)
    Option 1. Just because you don't know her you see that as a risk? Are you always like that when you meet people? Were the strangers you moved in with in your first year that bad?
    One of them was!!

Regarding the guy, do you think if you asked him he'd let you go to sleep, or carry on partying all the time?
    I don't know. I know he's quite a heavy drinker quite a lot of the time, whereas I like a drink now and again but certainly not every night. I'm up for partying once or twice a week but not every night, and I think he wants to have lots of flat parties...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craker)
    One of them was!!

I don't know. I know he's quite a heavy drinker quite a lot of the time, whereas I like a drink now and again but certainly not every night. I'm up for partying once or twice a week but not every night, and I think he wants to have lots of flat parties...
    If it's going to be a problem then talk to your friend, see what she thinks about it. You could move in with people you don't know, but it could be even worse... The safest option would be going with the person you're currently with, would it be a lot more isolated than how it is now?

ReputationRep:
    If it's going to be a problem then talk to your friend, see what she thinks about it. You could move in with people you don't know, but it could be even worse... The safest option would be going with the person you're currently with, would it be a lot more isolated than how it is now?
    Well we're currently living with 4 others (2 exchange students who are going home in june and 2 who have made other arrangements) and so it would be just us two which sounds rather lonely... i guess we could search for more housemates but then i still wouldn't be able to share with my close friend from option 1...

ReputationRep:
    2 seems good, just get to know this other girl better. If it doesn't work out try 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craker)
    I'm in my first year of uni and people are starting to look at getting flats for next year, but i'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've got several options to choose from and i dont know which one i should pick! advice please!!

1. one of my closest friends has asked me to get a flat with her. however, we would also be living with 2 of her friends, a boy who i know quite well but also a girl who i've only met a couple of times. i'd love to live with my close friend and i know i get along with the boy but should i risk living with the girl even though i don't know her?? she seems nice enough but living with someone is a big step...

the other thing i'm worried about is that i know the boy is big on nights out and partying. i do like parties and going out but not as much as he does and i'm worried about the effect it would have on my uni work...

2. I could get a flat with one other girl. She's nice enough and I live with her at the moment but I only met her circumstancially in halls and i don't really have anything in common with her, although we do get along. What i'm worried about with this option is that it would just be us two which sounds rather isolating

3. Find a room and share a flat with people I've never met before

WHAT TO DO?! help please!
    Surely with option 1. if the girl is that bad your closest friend is going to be with you in the annoyed/angry side and her good 'boy' friend will be with her...so stranger girl would have to change of all 3 of you take her share of rent on? You see what Im saying = youll always have someone on your side if she does make problems. Does your close friend party that much? Again surely shed be upset with the boy if hes waking ppl up and disturbing studying? but if not earplugs are your friend/'pre-nup' ask to meet with them all before securing a place and agreeing to some rules e.g. chore rota/being considerate of others/whose names are on the bills

Option 2 is good cos you know the other person is fine to live with but yeh youll be isolated and probably envious of your close friends flat, constantly over there.

Option 3 is no go.

PS couldnt option 2 girl also live with all of option 1? another person on your side..

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say option 1.

But I had a similar situation in first year. I lived with my then best friend and two of her friends. One of the girls was fine, and the other was ok to to begin with, but she turned out to be a total bully.

I ended up moving out and living with a boy I met on the internet and his friend from halls, and that worked out really well for me.

So erm. Possibly option 1. But see about getting to know the girl a bit better first.

If worst comes to worst, it's only a year. Or probably more like 6 months if your uni is anything like mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello Laura!)
    I was going to say option 1.

But I had a similar situation in first year. I lived with my then best friend and two of her friends. One of the girls was fine, and the other was ok to to begin with, but she turned out to be a total bully.

I ended up moving out and living with a boy I met on the internet and his friend from halls, and that worked out really well for me.

So erm. Possibly option 1. But see about getting to know the girl a bit better first.

If worst comes to worst, it's only a year. Or probably more like 6 months if your uni is anything like mine.
    Yeah, it's more like 6 months and then I'm hoping to be abread in 3rd yr anyway. I'm leaning towards option 1. i would include the girl from option 2 but that would mean getting a 5 person flat, and here they tend to be more expensive and not as nice (and there's far less choice).

So you think definitely not option 3?

ReputationRep:
    I say option 2, but the two of you should advertise for a couple of other students to live with too. Then you remove one of the only downsides. So a mix of 2 and 3.

There's nothing worse than someone who's constantly drinking, having flat parties and bringing people back at god knows when in the morning three or four times a week - not to stereotype, but to think of the worst. I wouldn't personally want that, but of course it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for 1. I'm sure the girl you don't know can't be that bad if your close friend likes her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x y z)
    I'd go for 1. I'm sure the girl you don't know can't be that bad if your close friend likes her.
    Yeah, that's what's reassuring me. She seemed nice when I met her and I've heard good things about her, but you really never know with housemates.

(Original post by punkyrocker)
    There's nothing worse than someone who's constantly drinking, having flat parties and bringing people back at god knows when in the morning three or four times a week - not to stereotype, but to think of the worst. I wouldn't personally want that, but of course it's up to you.
    Yeah, neither do I. I don't mind if he wants to go out late several times a week and come back in the wee small hours - i like my nights out as much as your next average student, but i'd hate to be having flat parties that often.

ReputationRep:
    OK, the boy wants to meet up tomorrow to look at flats... they want to live in the nice area of the city where i want to live whereas the girl in option 2 wants to live further away. should i just go with option 1? i mean, i'd get to live with my closest friend here... even if it means i might fall back on my work... arrrrrrrh i don't know what to do!!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.