Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to access removable drive through network? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this even possible? Can I access a memory stick that is connected to a different computer but in the same homegroup/network? The only way right now seems to be through remote desktop, but is there a more direct and convenient way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pimpman777)
    Is this even possible? Can I access a memory stick that is connected to a different computer but in the same homegroup/network? The only way right now seems to be through remote desktop, but is there a more direct and convenient way?
    Heya mate. You'll be glad to know it's nice an simple - I use this method all the time at work (granted, I'm a sys admin on a domain so it's even easier for me), but here it is:

Open up My Computer, and in the address bar type

Code:
    \\name of pc\driver letter$
    and hit enter. For example \\pimpman777-pc\g$

Now, if it asks for a user name and password give it the credentials of an administrator account. For the user name use this format:

Code:
    name of pc\user name
    For example: pimpman777-pc\pimpman777

You password, if any, should be entered as normal.

This should give you access to the drive over the network. This method will work with any PC to any drive over a given network, so long as you have the admin credentials to log on to the host PC.

If you wish to make a more permanent solution, for example, to a drive where the letter doesn't change, you can map the network drive. This will make it appear as a normal hard drive on your PC.

If you're using XP, go to My Computer, and hit Tools, then Map Network Drive. If Vista/Win7, simply open My Computer, and hit Map Network Drive.

Select a drive letter you wish to assign this mapped drive (I'd go with something that isn't used by normal removable storage), enter the drive path as before. Make sure that the Reconnect on Logon box is ticked, as well as the Connect using different credentials box. You need to give the user name and password as described before.

If you get this all right, you should have a permanent connection to the remote drive.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    What mikey said, though you may need to enable file sharing first. You'll find that rather conveniently under Network & Sharing Center (on Vista/7) or the home network setup wizard under Network Connections on XP. This'll also allow you to remove password-protection or enable read-only, if you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Heya mate. You'll be glad to know it's nice an simple - I use this method all the time at work (granted, I'm a sys admin on a domain so it's even easier for me), but here it is:

Open up My Computer, and in the address bar type

Code:
    \\name of pc\driver letter$
    and hit enter. For example \\pimpman777-pc\g$

Now, if it asks for a user name and password give it the credentials of an administrator account. For the user name use this format:

Code:
    name of pc\user name
    For example: pimpman777-pc\pimpman777

You password, if any, should be entered as normal.

This should give you access to the drive over the network. This method will work with any PC to any drive over a given network, so long as you have the admin credentials to log on to the host PC.

If you wish to make a more permanent solution, for example, to a drive where the letter doesn't change, you can map the network drive. This will make it appear as a normal hard drive on your PC.

If you're using XP, go to My Computer, and hit Tools, then Map Network Drive. If Vista/Win7, simply open My Computer, and hit Map Network Drive.

Select a drive letter you wish to assign this mapped drive (I'd go with something that isn't used by normal removable storage), enter the drive path as before. Make sure that the Reconnect on Logon box is ticked, as well as the Connect using different credentials box. You need to give the user name and password as described before.

If you get this all right, you should have a permanent connection to the remote drive.
    That works perfectly, thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    What mikey said, though you may need to enable file sharing first. You'll find that rather conveniently under Network & Sharing Center (on Vista/7) or the home network setup wizard under Network Connections on XP. This'll also allow you to remove password-protection or enable read-only, if you like.
    You don't actually. Using a UNC path bypasses the need for file sharing to be enabled.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.