Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Those of you who dropped out of uni... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Did you still have to pay for your accomodation for the rest of the year even though you wern't living in it? How did you feel about it did you feel it wa a massive loss or what? Its just considering the amount of students who drop out of uni Im surprised Ive never heard anyone moan about the fees they have to pay for rent, people just seem to drop out and not think about it/move on.

ReputationRep:
    We don't moan about it because generally, once you leave university, you've broken the contract with your halls, and therefore don't have to pay any more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    We don't moan about it because generally, once you leave university, you've broken the contract with your halls, and therefore don't have to pay any more...
    what? On my agreement it says I have to pay for the contract period even if I leave unless another student occupies the room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodLife)
    what? On my agreement it says I have to pay for the contract period even if I leave unless another student occupies the room.
    Which it also says on mine, but having discussed it with student housing today, they told me that I won't be liable for rent.

Not that I'd bloody pay it anyway, after living in that ********.

ReputationRep:
    I had to pay for the time I was there (7 weeks) + 4 weeks cancellation of contract fees. So it wasn't too bad for me. It stills works out at about a grand, but when adding that to 20-30k (which it will be in 4 years time) it will barely be noticeable.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I had to pay the time I was there + 4 weeks. I was allowed to stay there for those 4 weeks if I wanted to but I chose not to. I wasn't especially bothered, I expected to have to pay until someone else took my room.

ReputationRep:
    University-owned halls will generally waive anything you owe for the rest of the year because they can usually fill the room again quickly. However, if you are in privately-owned halls you will more than likely be liable to pay for the full amount for the year, if you can't afford it they may be able to do a deal and take whatever you can afford, otherwise you get lots of court proceedings letters as threats (it's happened to me). Whichever kind of halls you are in, ALWAYS read the contract carefully, as landlords can be a law unto themselves.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.