Thailand on your own?? Watch

turtle2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by street.lovin')
This.

OP, how old are you? well, i think it should be fine for you as longas you are over 18. I am sure that you will be safe in Thailand as long as you go to the safe places. Don't go hang out with strangers that don't seem to be trustworthy. I am sure you will be fine. Have fun.!
Thanks everyone. I think I would simply get very lonely if I'm on my own, as I like to be surrounded by people, which is why I was considering ThaIntro, a one week group trip for 18-30 year olds. It's £300, however, which is a bit (a lot!) overpriced for what it is, but I'm hoping it'll give me the opportunity to meet people that I can later hang out with? I don't know...or if I just go to a dive school in Koh Tao or somewhere similar, will it be very easy to meet people who are willing to travel with me and are not already travelling with their friends, bf/gfs, families, etc??

By the way, I'm 22.

Thanks!
blue_shift86
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by turtle2)
I'm also very interested in rainforest/trekking tours in Indonesia, but I guess I would have to go with a well-known company. Any tips?
i'm planning a round the world trip in sep:P. Join meeeee:P. At the moment i'm just planning on going along cos i have no friends.

I'm going to the USA hopefully in june
street.lovin'
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks everyone. I think I would simply get very lonely if I'm on my own, as I like to be surrounded by people, which is why I was considering ThaIntro, a one week group trip for 18-30 year olds. It's £300, however, which is a bit (a lot!) overpriced for what it is, but I'm hoping it'll give me the opportunity to meet people that I can later hang out with? I don't know...or if I just go to a dive school in Koh Tao or somewhere similar, will it be very easy to meet people who are willing to travel with me and are not already travelling with their friends, bf/gfs, families, etc??

By the way, I'm 22.

Thanks!
22! hehe, that's even better. You will be absolutely fine travelling alone or with other people. This is because you are old enough to look after yourslef. Don't be worried about it that much. Have fun!

Btw, I am Thai and never been back to Thailand yet since I cometo live in UK. I am actually jealous of you. =)
Shazzam123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thailand isn't really a place for a woman/girl to go by herself for travelling. I would give it long thought if I was deciding to go there myself, and I'm a guy.

But everywhere you go to there will always be a risk involved. If you do go then you'll probably have a great time, meet good people and learn a lot from it. Go with a positive attitude and ALWAYS have your wits about you, then you'll be A-okay.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

By the way, I'm 22.

Thanks!
Possibly - from my limited experience of traveling on my own its not really about meeting people who you then follow around, more you just meet new people everywhere you go. I was offered a place to stay for the night, got a cab with some guys to where i was heading, drank wtth random strangers, and made loads of good if transient friends. It was awesome.

Finding someone to travel with may be more of a task, but i wouldn't say it was impossible.

(Original post by Shazzam123)
Thailand isn't really a place for a woman/girl to go by herself for travelling. I would give it long thought if I was deciding to go there myself, and I'm a guy.

But everywhere you go to there will always be a risk involved. If you do go then you'll probably have a great time, meet good people and learn a lot from it. Go with a positive attitude and ALWAYS have your wits about you, then you'll be A-okay.
wow - what put you off thailand?
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was in Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand last summer... I was 21, alone and I also happen to be a girl. Granted, it was not my first time travelling and I've spent 3-4 months a year away from the UK travelling since I was 17

Thailand is no more "dangerous" than anywhere else in SE Asia in my opinion - whichever country you are in you have to keep your wits about you and trust yourself, your decisions and your instincts about people and situations you end up in. I've always (in all of my travelling adventures) met people in hostels who I've then travelled with for anything from a couple of days to a few months, but most people tend to be alone and have a similar travel plan to you and are up for travelling together. You're only on your own for all of about 5 minutes before you meet people in hostels. I wouldn't really reccomend doing a tour to be perfectly honest, especially if you've already been backpacking around Malaysia independently with your friend.

Unless you put yourself in a bad situation then I don't think you have anything to worry about and the risks are pretty similar if you're a guy or a girl. With accommodation, just turn up and arrange where you're staying on the spot rather than booking in advance and check out things like the room before you agree to take it (more of an issue with beach bungalows rather than hostels) then you should be fine... I'd never get a room on my own as a) if you need/want to meet people then you won't and b) if there are more people around it feels safer. But honestly, just chat to people in hostels and you'll end up with someone to travel with to your next destination and you won't be alone.

(Ignore this part if you are Muslim yourself )

The only issues you might come across are in Malaysia and Indonesia (particularly Sumatra) are that these are Muslim countries and as a solo woman you will confuse the hell out of the local people. This is also the case if it is you and another girl travelling - if you don't have guys with you they find it odd. But this was also quite nice as particularly in Sumatra familes were more than ready to adopt us and help us out in life because we were girls on our own. As a Western woman you do get whistled and honked at on the street, motorbikes will slow down to stare at you as they drive past etc. I'm unfortuantely fairly blonde so always get a lot of attention for this reason too. Dressing appropriately is important - you don't have to cover your head or anything like that, but I find it was easier if I covered up and wore non revealling clothes (as in I wore long sarong skirts and tshirts which didn't show my cleavage etc) as you just feel much less of a sore thumb. In Sumatra we also followed this through to on the beach and I wore a big tshirt over my bikini as all of the local women were swimming fully clothed etc.

In Thailand I didn't feel as though I had to cover up as much and wore shorts and strappy tops etc, but I really didn't feel comfortable doing this in Indonesia and Malaysia (other than the touristy areas like the Perhentians) as it just draws so much more attention to you if all of the other women are fairly covered up.

If you want any help route planning etc let me know
turtle2
Rep:
?
(Original post by oxymoronic)
I was in Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand last summer... I was 21, alone and I also happen to be a girl. Granted, it was not my first time travelling and I've spent 3-4 months a year away from the UK travelling since I was 17

Thailand is no more "dangerous" than anywhere else in SE Asia in my opinion - whichever country you are in you have to keep your wits about you and trust yourself, your decisions and your instincts about people and situations you end up in. I've always (in all of my travelling adventures) met people in hostels who I've then travelled with for anything from a couple of days to a few months, but most people tend to be alone and have a similar travel plan to you and are up for travelling together. You're only on your own for all of about 5 minutes before you meet people in hostels. I wouldn't really reccomend doing a tour to be perfectly honest, especially if you've already been backpacking around Malaysia independently with your friend.

Unless you put yourself in a bad situation then I don't think you have anything to worry about and the risks are pretty similar if you're a guy or a girl. With accommodation, just turn up and arrange where you're staying on the spot rather than booking in advance and check out things like the room before you agree to take it (more of an issue with beach bungalows rather than hostels) then you should be fine... I'd never get a room on my own as a) if you need/want to meet people then you won't and b) if there are more people around it feels safer. But honestly, just chat to people in hostels and you'll end up with someone to travel with to your next destination and you won't be alone.

The only issues you might come across are in Malaysia and Indonesia (particularly Sumatra) are that these are Muslim countries and as a solo woman you will confuse the hell out of the local people. This is also the case if it is you and another girl travelling - if you don't have guys with you they find it odd. But this was also quite nice as particularly in Sumatra familes were more than ready to adopt us and help us out in life because we were girls on our own. As a Western woman you do get whistled and honked at on the street, motorbikes will slow down to stare at you as they drive past etc. I'm unfortuantely fairly blonde so always get a lot of attention for this reason too. Dressing appropriately is important - you don't have to cover your head or anything like that, but I find it was easier if I covered up and wore non revealling clothes (as in I wore long sarong skirts and tshirts which didn't show my cleavage etc) as you just feel much less of a sore thumb. In Sumatra we also followed this through to on the beach and I wore a big tshirt over my bikini as all of the local women were swimming fully clothed etc.

In Thailand I didn't feel as though I had to cover up as much and wore shorts and strappy tops etc, but I really didn't feel comfortable doing this in Indonesia and Malaysia (other than the touristy areas like the Perhentians) as it just draws so much more attention to you if all of the other women are fairly covered up.

Thanks so much!

I noticed that you kept saying 'we...'. Was this someone you'd met in a hostel?
Hmm, I've never stayed in a hostel, so I just can't really imagine what it could be like. Whereabouts in Indonesia did you go and how did you go about it? It feels like feeling people in Thailand is easier..?
turtle2
Rep:
?
Oh yeah and do I really need to take a backpack? Will a suitcase not do?
oxymoronic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks so much!

I noticed that you kept saying 'we...'. Was this someone you'd met in a hostel?
Hmm, I've never stayed in a hostel, so I just can't really imagine what it could be like. Whereabouts in Indonesia did you go and how did you go about it? It feels like feeling people in Thailand is easier..?
yeah, i met them in hostels/guest houses i was staying in so the people i was with aren't the same/consistent all the way through the story - it was different people in indonesia, malaysia and thailand most people i met were travelling alone (as in, they started off alone and met people en route) but a couple of people were with friends from home or with their boyfriend/girlfriend but these were certainly in the minority, and this has been the case everywhere i've travelled in the world.

Hostels (especially in cities) are kind of like hotels really - i stayed in one in Bangkok which was literally amazing and the best place i've ever stayed in terms of facilities... you could get en suite rooms etc. Most places are kind of like a big house though as they have the dorm rooms (go for dorms then you meet people quicker, i always opt for the largest one) and then they also have kitchens and social areas, usually with computers and dvds etc.

What do you mean by "it feels like feeling people in Asia is easier?" -- expand and then i will comment

With regards to your bag... take a backpack, whatever you do!!! Dragging a suitcase around SE Asia is just impractical as a budget traveller. On islands do you really expect to be able to drag a suitcase off a boat, then wade through the sea (a lot of them drop you off a wee bit off shore to protect corals and also, its just too shallow) and then up the beach, then wander around for about half an hour or more trying to find somewhere to stay?? If you are only planning on going to one place, then a suitcase might be fine, but if you want to move around you really need something you can carry on your back otherwise you'll struggle. Outside of the city a lot of places have dirt roads or in places where there are roads the pavement can be full of holes or non existant (this is the case in cities such as Bangkok and KL) meaning you can't expect to be able to pull your bag along behind you as it will just hinder you more than anything!
turtle2
Rep:
?
yeah, i met them in hostels/guest houses i was staying in so the people i was with aren't the same/consistent all the way through the story - it was different people in indonesia, malaysia and thailand most people i met were travelling alone (as in, they started off alone and met people en route) but a couple of people were with friends from home or with their boyfriend/girlfriend but these were certainly in the minority, and this has been the case everywhere i've travelled in the world.

Hostels (especially in cities) are kind of like hotels really - i stayed in one in Bangkok which was literally amazing and the best place i've ever stayed in terms of facilities... you could get en suite rooms etc. Most places are kind of like a big house though as they have the dorm rooms (go for dorms then you meet people quicker, i always opt for the largest one) and then they also have kitchens and social areas, usually with computers and dvds etc.

What do you mean by "it feels like feeling people in Asia is easier?" -- expand and then i will comment

With regards to your bag... take a backpack, whatever you do!!! Dragging a suitcase around SE Asia is just impractical as a budget traveller. On islands do you really expect to be able to drag a suitcase off a boat, then wade through the sea (a lot of them drop you off a wee bit off shore to protect corals and also, its just too shallow) and then up the beach, then wander around for about half an hour or more trying to find somewhere to stay?? If you are only planning on going to one place, then a suitcase might be fine, but if you want to move around you really need something you can carry on your back otherwise you'll struggle. Outside of the city a lot of places have dirt roads or in places where there are roads the pavement can be full of holes or non existant (this is the case in cities such as Bangkok and KL) meaning you can't expect to be able to pull your bag along behind you as it will just hinder you more than anything!
Thanks again. I guess I will be buying a backpack!

Haha, I didnt mean 'feeling'. I meant meeting!! Is it easier to meet people in Thailand than it is in Vietnam, Indonesia, etc?
oxymoronic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks again. I guess I will be buying a backpack!

Haha, I didnt mean 'feeling'. I meant meeting!! Is it easier to meet people in Thailand than it is in Vietnam, Indonesia, etc?
It depends on where you go and where you stay (plus your attitude) as to whether you meet people or not, not really the country as people travel through the entire SE Asia region. I found the forums on www.gapyear.com fairly good and I met up with a couple of people I'd met on there whilst travelling - the way I do it is not to make up my profile (like on tsr) and PM people who post similar travel plans rather than making threads myself/detailing my route on the forum as I feel if you do that you attract unwanted attention, whereas by PM you can pick who you want to talk with. Everyone I met from there was really lovely and I had a good couple of days with them. Then as I said, go for reccomendations on hostels from people you meet (I can give you some) and read reviews etc if you're booking in advance... or if you're at the beach see what the kind of demographic is with the people in the bungalows. And just be really open, chat to people and don't feel stupid about approaching people - there are different rules when travelling and you can talk to anyone! There isn't a set place to meet people, I met people in hostels, on transport, on trips/courses... just anywhere really!

I'd say Sumatra (Indoneisa) is harder to meet people because its not so much on the backpacker trail - everywhere I went was pretty dead and there weren't that many backpackers around. In one guesthouse my friend and I were the only people staying there. At this point I'd met up with someone I knew from home who was travelling alone in Asia too, but we did end up travelling with some English guys for a bit which was cool
luvntravel
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Oh I am so happy I read this!!! I have been wanting to go to SE asia for awhile now and after being put off by my bf who keeps saying we'll go, but has no intention of getting off of the couch, I am destined to go alone.

After reading your post I am once again excited about it!!! I have been travelling solo in Mexico for 3 months now and consider myself quite capable - after your post I am confident that with some proper planning (and non-planning) I will be A-OK!

Thank you!!!!

s
architectnow
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
I'm heading there on my own to SE Asia

Exciting times ahead.

And some good advice in this thread. Meeting new people all part of the fun.
talking to lots of people when travelling is all good

hmm anyone try to learn languages or phrase books before they went?
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by architectnow)
hmm anyone try to learn languages or phrase books before they went?
If you're in the touristy parts it really doesn't matter, plus (thai at least) is a tonal language so generally westerners just can't do it without a lot of practice.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (882)
90.74%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (90)
9.26%

Watched Threads