Turn on thread page Beta

don't know how posting here's going to help. basically i think ive been suffering from depression since being at uni & have never felt so depressed and unhappy in my life. had an amazing childhood, great life at secondary school/6th form, TIME OF MY LIFE in my gap year especially,just met lovely lovely,amazing people.

& this year i started uni at the place i wanted to go to, doing the course i wanted to do. the 15 people in my building bonded,practically blanked me out despite me being so friendly to them,must be the first time ive ever experienced subconscioius prejudice (other people have since felt the same being around them) & it hurt. i dont talk to anyone in my building.

made friends with people nearby, don't think i quite 'belong' in their group or am appreciated though. theres another group who really like me & have asked me 2 live with them but feel im only friends with them coz of this reason, they're pretty negative,shy & therefore dont like meeting new people,trying stuff etc. just cannottt find a group of people who are similar to me e.g. laid back,have a sense of humour,friendly, want to try lots of things, ambitious etc

ive never felt so pessimistic & lonely in my life. my habits are ridiculous. i go to bed at like 4am,sleep in the day, done most of my coursework from scratch the night before they were all due, due to not having motivation. went back 2 normal at christmas after being with people i love & make me laugh..but ive been back almost a fortnight and im back to how i was again.
    i don't know what to do. feel so left out & like i don't belong. i've lost the confidence i once had. before i was constantly optimistic, enthusiastic, constantly wanted to inspire other people. everything seems so pointless and shallow now. i don't know what to get excited about anymore since there's no one here to enjoy any acheivments with. my course is the only thing keeping me here. & hate who im becoming.

ReputationRep:
    I found myself in this situation really recently, and all you need is a change of scenery, forget the people you live with. You don't mention societies or people on your course? Go take up some new societies, surely there must be a re-freshers coming up? And interact more with coursemates if you don't already.

Most importantly though pick your spirits up. Start going to bed at normal times, focus on doing your uni work early. Go do some exercise, i never used to run, but just randomly started and it picks me up so much when i'm down, go do some exercise it will help you.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to our community. We are many!

ReputationRep:
    You don't seem to be depressed as such, more upset that you've found yourself in this position. I found myself so frustrated that I had been put with complete losers people I didn't get on with, I'm still in the same position. You've proven that you can make great friends, it's just sometimes the unlucky few get put with people we don't get on with. Hold onto those great friendships perhaps try your luck at different accommodation next year? You don't want to live in close confinement with people you don't like in a house x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonsterMash)
    Go do some exercise, i never used to run, but just randomly started and it picks me up so much when i'm down, go do some exercise it will help you.
    This. Not only does exercise pick you up mentally because you're doing something with your day, but exercising releases stuff which makes your muscles feel good, gives you energy and makes you feel happy!

Go join the gym or take up running.

ReputationRep:
    Buy an ukulele.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same. I'm thinking of killing myself soon. Seems the only way out at the minute because what can you do? You try so hard but to no avail, and **** happens. I haven't got the strength to deal with it anymore and feel like the end of the world has arrived.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everything that has already been said, like join societys, gym, get a routine going. What are the people in your class like? It took me a while to find people who are like me in my class.

Why do you think it is subconcious prejudice btw?

I'm only really replying to say *hugs* even though that doesn't really help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaulP)
    I feel the same. I'm thinking of killing myself soon. Seems the only way out at the minute because what can you do? You try so hard but to no avail, and **** happens. I haven't got the strength to deal with it anymore and feel like the end of the world has arrived.
    Please DON'T do it. What's made you feel like this?

OP, it sounds very cruel if you've been ostracised despite being friendly. Those people aren't good enough for you. Join a club or society and meet friends who matter.

ReputationRep:
    Everything man. I ******* hate life. I'm on the booze right now so I might exaggerate what I'm saying but if I don't get happy one day then I can only really killl myself to get rid of it all. I mean my problems aren'r the worst in the world but it's abuot how yu feel, if you feel like absolute **** 24/7 then there really is no poitnj in carrying on.

ReputationRep:
    similar story here, felt good over xmas again, i just need to meet people i get on with & i'l be fine, still hasnt happened yet, feels like it never will sometimes

Dont worry, i think most people think like this a bit at uni. Really try to get involved in new stuff, i know its cliched and harder-than-it-sounds blah blah but really thats the way to do it. Also, sitting and making an effort with new course people, with similar interests and personalities. I feel a bit similar in my accommodation, but have made enough friends externally for it not to bother me too much. and you can too, these fun, lovely people are out there, you just need to find them.
    Keep you chin up, things will work out. And never forget the people who love and care for you back home, that always helps me!
    x

And p.s, if these idiots deliberately leave you out and make no effort, they really REALLY arnt worth your time and are probably sad, insecure and depressing under it all. Be the one with the strength of character and motivation, not petty children like them.
    *hugs*

ReputationRep:
    It always surprises me how many people feel this way after starting University. It can be a very difficult thing. My friend went to two different Universities and both of them she ended up dropping out of because she was severely depressed when she was there and felt really isolated and stuck in this really weird world where should would walk around the city at 1am to 4am in the morning and sleep all day and just generally have really unhealthy habbits... University can do this to some people. I think it was too much too fast for her to be honest.

One thing I will say, if it is making you happy don't let it stay that way. I can't tell you what exactly will help but try and think about exactly why you feel this way, and what you can do to make it better... And don't let it get to the point where you have to be severely depressed and seeing a psychiatrist about and things like she did.. it cost her quite a bit of money if nothing else. If it gets really bad, then you may even have to think about taking time out of University for a bit.

I hope you find a way to be happy and optimistic again!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.