Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubububu)
    lol what? A, or 7 is just a grade. If you learn a lot, you will achieve it; with or without a teacher. It's as simple as that. I didn't submit portfolio = didn't have 7, lol. Why do you think some maths courses want you to pass things like STEP (which is probably the most IMO-like exam)? That is because they know A level or IB maths, whether it's 100% or 90%, tells only how much time was allocated by a candidate to learn certain things which are then assessed in a standarised way.

and next time if you write such a passage of nonsense think for a while.... problem solved, thread closed.
    I wish this was true. Due to the highly fallacious "moderating" system, if your teacher is an incompetent grader and marks too many students too high, your grade will be lowered: even if you did have great lab marks. I know of people being lowered a grade because of this.

Similarly, some of the assessment criteria for achieving a 7 are ridiculous: the difference between a 6 and a 7 in English A1 HL is essentially the word highly (e.g. relevant vs. highly relevant).

I do agree though that Maths HL is something that you could self-study, but it would not be easy for most (especially the option! - yuck).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    I wish this was true. Due to the highly fallacious "moderating" system, if your teacher is an incompetent grader and marks too many students too high, your grade will be lowered: even if you did have great lab marks. I know of people being lowered a grade because of this.

Similarly, some of the assessment criteria for achieving a 7 are ridiculous: the difference between a 6 and a 7 in English A1 HL is essentially the word highly (e.g. relevant vs. highly relevant).

I do agree though that Maths HL is something that you could self-study, but it would not be easy for most (especially the option! - yuck).
    Well, surely it would be the actual degree of relevance of the work to the questions asked rather than 'the word highly'?:confused: I can't really see anything obviously wrong with that...

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.