Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubububu)
    lol what? A, or 7 is just a grade. If you learn a lot, you will achieve it; with or without a teacher. It's as simple as that. I didn't submit portfolio = didn't have 7, lol. Why do you think some maths courses want you to pass things like STEP (which is probably the most IMO-like exam)? That is because they know A level or IB maths, whether it's 100% or 90%, tells only how much time was allocated by a candidate to learn certain things which are then assessed in a standarised way.

and next time if you write such a passage of nonsense think for a while.... problem solved, thread closed.
    I wish this was true. Due to the highly fallacious "moderating" system, if your teacher is an incompetent grader and marks too many students too high, your grade will be lowered: even if you did have great lab marks. I know of people being lowered a grade because of this.

Similarly, some of the assessment criteria for achieving a 7 are ridiculous: the difference between a 6 and a 7 in English A1 HL is essentially the word highly (e.g. relevant vs. highly relevant).

I do agree though that Maths HL is something that you could self-study, but it would not be easy for most (especially the option! - yuck).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    I wish this was true. Due to the highly fallacious "moderating" system, if your teacher is an incompetent grader and marks too many students too high, your grade will be lowered: even if you did have great lab marks. I know of people being lowered a grade because of this.

Similarly, some of the assessment criteria for achieving a 7 are ridiculous: the difference between a 6 and a 7 in English A1 HL is essentially the word highly (e.g. relevant vs. highly relevant).

I do agree though that Maths HL is something that you could self-study, but it would not be easy for most (especially the option! - yuck).
    Well, surely it would be the actual degree of relevance of the work to the questions asked rather than 'the word highly'?:confused: I can't really see anything obviously wrong with that...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.