Turn on thread page Beta

Festivals. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    T IN THE PARRRRK!!
    I live for festials.
    Rock Ness, since it's just down the road, as is Belladrum. Maybe go to a european one?
    Instead of a fourth festie this year i'm going to see Green Day in Manchester
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    T in the Park. Although I fear The Killers won't be there this year. But if Muse and Biffy Clyro do it, then I just might be persuaded.

(Original post by majikthise)
    Beautiful Days, Bearded Theory, Fullmoon (Berlin), Ozora (Hungary) and possibly one of the metal festivals if I get the money together.
    i fell in love with you futher as i proceeded through the list!

Ozora, :love:
    ,mate went last year and he said there was litrally so much acid there people just give it away :woo:x

ReputationRep:
    V (Weston Park)

ReputationRep:
    I'm always tempted to get tickets for Coachella in California but never quite dare. Has anyone been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasuil)
    Reading again, for sure. last year was my first and it was awesome.
    Guilfest, which is this crappy festival noones ever heard of in the big town i live near, Guildford, but King Blues were there last year and I love em. Gonna work their as a volunteer to get a free ticket (Y)
    Also considering T in the Park...if Katy Perry is gonna be there, that is.
    Lol!!! My boyfriend played Guilfest last year lol.

Well, I'm off to lovely ol' Skeggy to a Rock and Blues Festival for the day/night on sunday.

Might be looking at Download, but not too sure if I can afford it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Heading to Rock am Ring in Germany at the start of June. Kiss, Muse, Rammstein, how can you resist?

I'll probably be getting a day ticket for the best day at Download and Sonisphere back home in the UK.
    At present the big bands between those 2 are Rammstein, Iron Maiden and AC/DC. Pretty damned huge.

And I reckon I'll be hitting up Reading Fest for the 3rd year on the spin. It gets a lot of hate (and justly so, considering some of the tripe on the line-up and the number of 15 year old kids who just want to **** other people off), but if you stick with a good crowd it's a bloody great 3/4/5 days.

ReputationRep:
    Global Gathering.

Expect these:

Moby
    Orbital
    Chicane
    Daft Punk
    The Prodigy

and...

Armin Van Buuren. Obviously.

If dance festivals aren't welcomed in this thread, then I'll go for Leeds

ReputationRep:
    Anybody been to Outside Lands in San Fransisco? I went '08 and it was awesome, i'd really recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BraNNers18)
    Armin Van Buuren. Obviously.
    On holiday in Crete with my mates last summer, we were walking along the street when one of us spotted a flyer in the bin.
    On closer inspection we discovered that he was playing the very next night on a beach about 30 minutes down the road!

It was absolutely epic, OK it wasn't exactly a fantastic atmosphere but then for a 5 euro entry fee I wasn't expecting the finest Armin performance ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVkGJ...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missdee)
    Very true. But it wasn't unattended, they were asleep in their tents.
    If you're sleeping and other people have easy access to your valuables, keep them as close to you as possible. This also goes for travelling on night trains etc.

Money/Passport/Tickets/Wallets/ID keep inside the pillowcase, or in the pocket of whatever clothes you're sleeping in. If you're using a sleeping bag you could put it in the bottom of your sleeping bag. That makes it incredibly hard for anybody to steal it. If this isn't practical or possible, put it in a really odd place (like in the sole of a shoe) where they're unlikely to look.

Cameras, laptops and other larger valuables are a bit harder, but it's worth putting them in a bag and taking the bag to bed with you. Loop your arm through the strap of the bag, and consider using a padlock to lock the two zips together. If you're on a train you could use a bike lock to secure the bag to something solid like the leg of the couchette and slip it under the couchette while it's attached. Obviously, in a tent there's nothing solid to attach it to. It might sound easy to steal a bag locked to the leg underneath a couchette, but opportunist thieves are unlikely to risk you being a light sleeper.

Tent raiders are opportunists - they'll take one look at you, see you have your bag secured and with you and decide that it's not worth the effort to even check the rest of your tent. If you have your bag lying in a prominent place, they'll go for it. If it doesn't look like it's worth the effort, they'll move on to another tent. Simples.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_Pwn)
    On holiday in Crete with my mates last summer, we were walking along the street when one of us spotted a flyer in the bin.
    On closer inspection we discovered that he was playing the very next night on a beach about 30 minutes down the road!

It was absolutely epic, OK it wasn't exactly a fantastic atmosphere but then for a 5 euro entry fee I wasn't expecting the finest Armin performance ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVkGJ...eature=related
    This looks quality mate, those intimate sets are always the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nfixlol)
    i probably will be going again this year

it was so incredibly good last year, made reading seem pretty **** in comparison tbh. :beard:
    Deliberately trying to make me jealous? :huff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lareneg)
    If you're sleeping and other people have easy access to your valuables, keep them as close to you as possible. This also goes for travelling on night trains etc.

Money/Passport/Tickets/Wallets/ID keep inside the pillowcase, or in the pocket of whatever clothes you're sleeping in. If you're using a sleeping bag you could put it in the bottom of your sleeping bag. That makes it incredibly hard for anybody to steal it. If this isn't practical or possible, put it in a really odd place (like in the sole of a shoe) where they're unlikely to look.

Cameras, laptops and other larger valuables are a bit harder, but it's worth putting them in a bag and taking the bag to bed with you. Loop your arm through the strap of the bag, and consider using a padlock to lock the two zips together. If you're on a train you could use a bike lock to secure the bag to something solid like the leg of the couchette and slip it under the couchette while it's attached. Obviously, in a tent there's nothing solid to attach it to. It might sound easy to steal a bag locked to the leg underneath a couchette, but opportunist thieves are unlikely to risk you being a light sleeper.

Tent raiders are opportunists - they'll take one look at you, see you have your bag secured and with you and decide that it's not worth the effort to even check the rest of your tent. If you have your bag lying in a prominent place, they'll go for it. If it doesn't look like it's worth the effort, they'll move on to another tent. Simples.:yep:
    I agree, and always do this. I tend to put my stuff in my sleeping bag when I'm in it. Same for when I went travelling.
    It's a shame that you'll always get little toe-rags at festivals, ruining it for other people. But people should have enough common sense to look after their valuables.
    Some people say to leave your tent messy when you're not in it, as it means thieves will have to spend more time looking for money/valuables and probably pass. I'm not sure if this works.

anyone go waveform last year? there were police stopping everywhere,jumping out vans and just throwing people in! quite the sketchy affair

I am going Reading,Download and Sonisphere.
    Reading now is just more a matter of sentimental value,the acts are gradually getting worse into an NME fest which is total ****.
    Though Sonisphere's line-up is looking ultra juicy, Maiden and Rammstein is enough to make me want to sell my nan,and Download is looking good aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missdee)
    Some people say to leave your tent messy when you're not in it, as it means thieves will have to spend more time looking for money/valuables and probably pass. I'm not sure if this works.
    I suppose that in theory this works to an extent. If you have a really tidy tent with oen person sleeping in it and a bag in the corner, compared to the floor being littered with clothes and stuff the thief is more likely to just go for the tent wiht a solitary bag and just grab and run compared to going through all the crap on the floor. However, this wouldn't compare to actually keeping your valuables on you. Putting stuff which you cannot afford to lose in your sleeping bag probably takes less effort than messing up your tent, as you have to tidy it afterwards...

ReputationRep:
    Reading!!:woo: Last years lineup was a bit of a letdown though...

It might sound easy to steal a bag locked to the leg underneath a couchette, but opportunist thieves are unlikely to risk you being a light sleeper.
    Its easy to say that, but me and my friends were in the same campsite and some thieves went into their tents and stole their wallets inside their tents whilst they were asleep. Just don't take anything you're not willing to lose and they wont have anything to nick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Mime)
    Its easy to say that, but me and my friends were in the same campsite and some thieves went into their tents and stole their wallets inside their tents whilst they were asleep. Just don't take anything you're not willing to lose and they wont have anything to nick!
    Did you read my post? :P

I seriously doubt that a thief would actually go into your pillowcase or somehow try to get into the bottom of your sleeping bag in the offchance they'd find something valuable.

I was saying that with a bag (as you cannot viably put that in your pillowcase or sleeping bag) might be worth chaining to the leg of a bunk if you're on a sleeper train.

ReputationRep:
    My dad put my mums and his money and phones in his shorts pockets at a festival once when they were asleep and someone took it from there!
    I think if someone has chosen you, then you are going to lose some stuff.

Plus, you should never ever ever put anything in the bottom of your sleeping bag! That's the prime area, unless you sleep with your head at the opening of the tent. Everyone always gets stuff taken from the bottom of their sleeping bags.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.