Turn on thread page Beta

Common Perceptions of different Musical Genres? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got a presentation coming up and the subject is "Common Perceptions of different Musical Genres".

So, what is your perception of Metal, Hip Hop and Pop?

Preferably could you reply with regards to the genre you're least familiar with or know the least about.

Thanks!

I might quote you in my presentation if you reply so if you don't want to be quoted just put NQ at the end of your post or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Metallers tend to wear a lot of black and the music is very angry. I assume (and this is an assumption) that they are mostly outsiders, maybe slightly socially awkward frustrated or angry people. Thing is I know people who like this music and arent like this, so I know my first impressions are probably wrong. It's what I used to think though.
    Pop lovers, I assume are mostly girls, possibly not too interested in the detail or art of music but see it more as a lighthearted listening activity. Very sociable and possibly more likely to like mainstream clubbing. Maybe having a bit of a bubblegum, young personality. Music about love, or how cute someone is.
    Hip-hop I associate with guys really. And smoking a lot of weed. Generally being laid back, possibly. Usually sexually charged, about partying, money, girls or how hard it is to live in poverty.

What the hell do I know though. I'm a house/techno head.

ReputationRep:
    Hip Hop - Lots of ass shaking and talk about *****es and hos and how hot everyone is and how corrupt the police are.

Metal - Tattooed old men with beards, lots of loud noise and frequent references to devils. No one really knows the lyrics, they're too busy having fun breaking each other's noses with their forehead.

Pop - Lots of pretty girls miming generic songs about imaginary men acting out imaginary cliches that threaten their imaginary relationship. Not a single song that doesn't have the generic 'you'.

(Grossly exaggerated and unfair of course, but these are sometimes what I have to resort to. There's not a single genre I could comfortably talk about/recognise with resorting to stereotypes)

ReputationRep:
    Metal - Angry outsiders with long hair and a love of black. Often known to look down on other genres and on bands they don't consider 'real' metal. Bloated sense of self importance. Music tends to be a bit stagnant. Though you should probably should ignore me on this one, I'm a bit biased.

Pop - I guess I could go by the people that listen to it, but I always think of pop as music that prefers to put melody as the most important aspect, often within the framework of another genre. Hence 'pop-punk' and such like. Technically means popular music but can be used for different things entirely.

Hip Hop - In the modern usage rich young black men using auto tune to sing generic songs about heart ache and how much money they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Metallers tend to wear a lot of black and the music is very angry. I assume (and this is an assumption) that they are mostly outsiders, maybe slightly socially awkward frustrated or angry people. Thing is I know people who like this music and arent like this, so I know my first impressions are probably wrong. It's what I used to think though.
    Pop lovers, I assume are mostly girls, possibly not too interested in the detail or art of music but see it more as a lighthearted listening activity. Very sociable and possibly more likely to like mainstream clubbing. Maybe having a bit of a bubblegum, young personality. Music about love, or how cute someone is.
    Hip-hop I associate with guys really. And smoking a lot of weed. Generally being laid back, possibly. Usually sexually charged, about partying, money, girls or how hard it is to live in poverty.

What the hell do I know though. I'm a house/techno head.

ReputationRep:
    Metal: I don't understand the idea behind this genre at all. I don't understand why people enjoy listening to this kind of music - to me it's just a bunch of musicians wearing black clothes singing nonsense that it's irritating to my ears. It sounds as though they were extremely angry. And on top of it when you tell someone that you don't like this kind of music they just reply "then you don't know what good music is". The first thing that comes to my mind when you say "metal" is this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mau5)
    Your an undead version of deadmou5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Your an undead version of deadmou5.
    I'm cooler than Joel!

ReputationRep:
    You forgot one of the most popular genre of the 90s and 00s rock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    You forgot one of the most popular genre of the 90s and 00s rock
    Your link didnt work. I thought I was going to learn something new

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    Metal: I don't understand the idea behind this genre at all. I don't understand why people enjoy listening to this kind of music - to me it's just a bunch of musicians wearing black clothes singing nonsense that it's irritating to my ears. It sounds as though they were extremely angry. And on top of it when you tell someone that you don't like this kind of music they just reply "then you don't know what good music is". The first thing that comes to my mind when you say "metal" is this.
    While not the point of this topic, you do realise that there's not just black and death metal out there, right?

On topic though, most people just see them as the stereotypes. Metal, everyone thinks what this guy does, pop gets the horde of screaming 12 year old girls, and hiphop is practically rap where they actually try sing.

Listening to metal and knowing the stereotype's not true in a lot of cases, I doubt the others are either, but I've never heard anything of them I like yet, so I'll stick to what I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Monkey)
    While not the point of this topic, you do realise that there's not just black and death metal out there, right?

On topic though, most people just see them as the stereotypes. Metal, everyone thinks what this guy does, pop gets the horde of screaming 12 year old girls, and hiphop is practically rap where they actually try sing.

Listening to metal and knowing the stereotype's not true in a lot of cases, I doubt the others are either, but I've never heard anything of them I like yet, so I'll stick to what I do.

Only people who listen to the genre know all the different subgenres. Black metal and Dark metal seem the most prominent for non-listeners. I doubt many people would know the different genres within techno or house but I dont really expect them to.

Is there any happy metal then? (maybe there is)

ReputationRep:
    Your link didnt work. I thought I was going to learn something new
    It wasn't a link lol, I just wrote the text in bold for some reason, I don't know why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    It wasn't a link lol, I just wrote the text in bold for some reason, I don't know why.
    tell me about what sort of rock you mean then. I know very little about that genre as it's a bit too lyrical for my liking. I like sounds

ReputationRep:
    metal - complete abuse of distortion pedals, the belief that louder/heavier = better

hip hop - a prelude to rapping. in many ways its softer, more accessible and easier to digest than rap.

pop - bands such as blur and pulp are the true masters of pop, however the word pop in a contemporary sense describes a 'generic', heavily edited and easy-listening type of music

ReputationRep:
    Metal - It's not angry, it just sounds it. Metalers don't shout about how much they hate things, they shout how much they love things, like driving axes through people's skulls. Sikth have some, errrr, interesting lyrics clicky.

ReputationRep:
    Metal: Guys with gloriously long hair. Facial piercings optional. Listeners of this genre seem to be particularly prone to musical elitism, and so can and will slate your music and revel in how superior their taste is. The music always has a tendency to sound angry, even if the lyrical content isn't.
    Hip Hop: *****es and hoes. And Rolexes. The chaps who produce this music seem be slightly stuck in a rut when it comes to the lyrical content.
    Pop: All very samey, chances are that the vocals have been edited to high heaven and if you were to hear the original, you would possibly find yourself scraping at your ear drums. Fairly likely that the song with be about sex and the video will involve the artist gyrating violently at one or more points.

ReputationRep:

Is there any happy metal then? (maybe there is)
    There's plenty of it. This for example.

On topic, I don't have anything to add that for my perceptions of pop/hip hop that hasn't already been said.

ReputationRep:
    As far as the mainstream/what is currently popular side of each of these genres is concerned...

Metal: boring and generic music, fad piercings/tattoos, SWEEPSLOL!!2 (I guess here you could also argue technical skill), BREAKDOWNS!!!1, awful vocals, black+bright colours shirts, dyed black hair and the side partings (or is this not cool anymore, are most of the bands that did this growing older and opting for the long hair/beard look now?), basically a load of trend following fools. Elitism in all the wrong places.

Hip hop (guessing you mean the kind of rap that is still everywhere): stagnant, same beats over and over, awful lyrical themes on par with most metal, people wanting to be part of something that is long over, autotune ffffuuu, tits hoes and money yo.

Pop: less talent, studio bands and miming (not writing or really performing your own music, luls. I guess this mostly goes for the hip hop part too), not much good since the 70s, screaming girls, money > everything else, boring 'catchy' music.

I love metal, hip hop and pop music but yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    Metal: Guys with gloriously long hair. Facial piercings optional. Listeners of this genre seem to be particularly prone to musical elitism, and so can and will slate your music and revel in how superior their taste is. The music always has a tendency to sound angry, even if the lyrical content isn't.
    Hip Hop: *****es and hoes. And Rolexes. The chaps who produce this music seem be slightly stuck in a rut when it comes to the lyrical content.
    Pop: All very samey, chances are that the vocals have been edited to high heaven and if you were to hear the original, you would possibly find yourself scraping at your ear drums. Fairly likely that the song with be about sex and the video will involve the artist gyrating violently at one or more points.
    I know this is meant to be a thread of misconceptions. But my god lyrically Hip Hop surpasses any other genre lyrically

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.