The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I've done AVCE ICT and A-level Computing.

For AVCE ICT, the coursework is managable. It's mostly coursework assesed. In the first half of the AVCE ICT course, you can't choose any optional modules. You would cover stuff like presenting information (using Microsoft Office software to create stuff - for example, using Publisher to create advertisements and newsletters, Word for creating invoices, etc...), spreadsheet, ICT serving organisations, building computers (double award, can be an option at the second half of the course as optional units), system analysis (double award, can be an option at the second half of the course as optional units), database design (double award, can be an option at the second half of the course as optional units), etc... In the second half of the AVCE ICT course, you get to choose units that you can do (you can choose all coursework if you want!). I chose a mixture of coursework and exams to ease the workload. By the way, AVCE ICT will be called GCE Applied ICT soon.

For A-level Computing, it's more theory and involves programming. You will learn things like programming (practical and theory of it), hardware/software, computer systems, networking, advanced systems developement, applications, etc...

I find both of those courses fun. In addition, the workload is managable in my opinion. I found AVCE ICT the most enjoyable course, as it's more practical.

For more details about the course, refer to these links (I posted all exam board links, as I'm not sure which one you are following:

Computing: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5511-6511-W-SP-06.pdf , http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Data/Publication/Specifications,%20Syllabuses%20&%20Tutors%20Handbooks/cquartetOCRTempFilexQq5Qa3zrK.pdf , http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/25167.pdf

ICT: http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Data/Publication/Specifications,%20Syllabuses%20&%20Tutors%20Handbooks/AS_A_Level1547.pdf , http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-8751-8753-8756-8759-W-SP-06.pdf , http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/83985/UA015271_GCE_in_Applied_ICT__8751_52___9751_52_.pdf
Reply 2
thanks
Reply 3
Brubaskia
thanks

You're welcome.

Forgot to mention about the BTEC, sorry. A BTEC in ICT/Computing is more practical and have more coursework. They are prepared for the work place. This qualification can be used for higher education entrance requirements. However, some universities accept them. Check the entrance requirements of the university you might go to.

The BTEC can be taken as an award (equivalent to 1 A-level), certificate (equivalent to 2 A-levels), or diploma (equivalent to 3 A-levels).

For more details, refer to these links: http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/nat/itc (click the links on the left for the type of IT/Computing BTECs you are interested).
I just finish my. They are harder then As. My college never offer As computing..
Reply 5
I just finished a BTEC National Diploma for ICT Practitioners. I hated it, quite simply. But 90% of it was how my college taught and managed the course. It seemed as though it was assumed everyone had the same pace at learning and those who were slower didn't get much help and those who went quicker couldn't advance.

It was supposed to be 'practical', but that's a joke. We did 4 or 5, including: making a crossover CABLE, wow, installing windows xp and making a peer-to-peer network, exciting stuff, and taking out some PCI cards and stuff and putting them back.

The assessments are boring, repetitive and there is lots of overlap, you find yourself answering similar questions in different assignments.

I was quite dissapointed, i had hoped better. But as i said, alot of it was my college's fault. I skipped alot of classes because i got really bored, still managed to pass. Haven't got my final grade though.

The only aspect i really enjoyed was meeting new friends at college. My whole class was males and we had a great time.
Reply 6
switch007
I just finished a BTEC National Diploma for ICT Practitioners. I hated it, quite simply. But 90% of it was how my college taught and managed the course. It seemed as though it was assumed everyone had the same pace at learning and those who were slower didn't get much help and those who went quicker couldn't advance.

It was supposed to be 'practical', but that's a joke. We did 4 or 5, including: making a crossover CABLE, wow, installing windows xp and making a peer-to-peer network, exciting stuff, and taking out some PCI cards and stuff and putting them back.

The assessments are boring, repetitive and there is lots of overlap, you find yourself answering similar questions in different assignments.

I was quite dissapointed, i had hoped better. But as i said, alot of it was my college's fault. I skipped alot of classes because i got really bored, still managed to pass. Haven't got my final grade though.

The only aspect i really enjoyed was meeting new friends at college. My whole class was males and we had a great time.

Making networks is quite fun. I think some uni's have a networking module where you need to make a network. When making the crossover cable, is it hard? I havn't made one before. I don't understand why would we need to make one. It's out there to buy in the shops for a decent price.

How is it repetitve and boring?

That qualification is to prepare students for the workplace and/or higher education.
Reply 7
trev
Making networks is quite fun. I think some uni's have a networking module where you need to make a network. When making the crossover cable, is it hard? I havn't made one before. I don't understand why would we need to make one. It's out there to buy in the shops for a decent price.

Because quite often builders will put the cat5 cable in ducting for you in a new building / office redevelopment, but wont crimp the ends onto the cable or join it to a backplate.
Then again, inter-building/department connections should really be fibre now anyway, so its getting a bit irrelevant.

I've just finished Double Award AVCE, 800 pages of mind numbingly boring + easy coursework. THe only practical part of that was Unit 4 (of about 8 we did) the class 'upgraded' some PC's by putting in a GF2MX and a 5.1 card, I didt it at home in a day. The class took a month.
Reply 8
PieMaster
Because quite often builders will put the cat5 cable in ducting for you in a new building / office redevelopment, but wont crimp the ends onto the cable or join it to a backplate.
Then again, inter-building/department connections should really be fibre now anyway, so its getting a bit irrelevant.

I've just finished Double Award AVCE, 800 pages of mind numbingly boring + easy coursework. THe only practical part of that was Unit 4 (of about 8 we did) the class 'upgraded' some PC's by putting in a GF2MX and a 5.1 card, I didt it at home in a day. The class took a month.

Is it quite hard to make a cat5 cable? It look hard to me.

One of my friends did a single award AVCE and chose the building a PC unit for his second part of the AVCE. He took more than a month, as he done all the stuff in school instead of at home. He is not allowed to bring the computer home by the way. The computer at school has been used a lot to assemble and un-assemble the computer. In the end, he got a grade A.

Overall, I think I had more than 1000 pages worth of coursework all together for single award AVCE. I can't believe I wasted a lot of paper.
Reply 9
thanks everyone but has anyone even tried or done the btec national certificate in e-business. I mean has anyone done it and can give me an idea of what its like?
Or for everyone else.
Reply 10
Brubaskia
thanks everyone but has anyone even tried or done the btec national certificate in e-business. I mean has anyone done it and can give me an idea of what its like?
Or for everyone else.

You're welcome. No, I havn't done a BTEC before. You could look at the course content of the e-business course to see if it suits you though. http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/nat/ebusiness/cert/4262/
Reply 11
thanks
Reply 12
ICT is rather poor and quite easy to do.

I did a HND in computing.
Comrises of 16 units over 3 years or over 2 years.

Quite a good course in as far as that you have to get to grips with stuff very fast in order for you to put your assignment in ready for the next semester.

There is so many units at HND level, that the college or UNi you attend is mostly likely to have a duplicate Unit that offers the same type of questions but in a different format.
E.g. - Systems Analysis and its theories plays a massive pivotal role in both the Advanced Project (similar to a dissertation) and the computing project. (a lesser version of the main project)
Computing Platforms is very similar to Networking and Communication Technology.

It also gets you exceptionally well prepared for university and you can even get into 3rd year in some, whilst good unis will offer you 2nd year.

A HND student should be able to teach A level students upon passing their qualification.
Reply 13
Intresting
Brubaskia
Or for everyone else.

My friends are doing it, they hate it.
Reply 15
i have do AVCE ICT it all most killed me

i have just started HNC Computing

lau
Reply 16
where did you finish yr btec course
Reply 17
I am currently doing BTEC ND I.C.T Practioners.

BTEC's are quite easy to do, and to get top grades (BTEC Distinction = 3 X A's at A-Level) if you are willing to put the work in. The are also very good if you are not that keen on doing exams (as you do none).

However there are a few shortcommings. Some of the subjects are very basic, there is alot of crossover work between units and assignments, everyone has to work at the pace of the slower (less hard working) students which can hold you back (unless you are prepared to put extra work in), people don't see BTEC ND to be as good as A-Levels (even though it is, and in some cases have never heard of it), you end up doing two years just on one subject rather doing several A-Levels in a broad range of subjects.

Despite of the shortcommings I am enjoying mine to a curtain degree. A BTEC is also a great way to make loads of mates, as everyone is allways in the same lessons togeather. At my college the lecturers are also great.

In some ways I wish I had stuck to the A-Levels I was going to do, but I think a BTEC can be just as good, aslong as the department you are doing it in is well organised.

Latest

Trending

Trending