Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in yr 9 and have to choose GCSE subjects in the next few days and I have difficulties in choosing foreign languages.

Our school requires us to study two foreign languages. The combinations can be:

Spanish and French (both 2 year full GCSE)
    or
    One of Spanish or French; plus Latin (Latin is a one year course and we will take Cambridge Latin Certificate exam instead of GCSE).

I definitely want to continue French, but I don't like Spanish (which I have studied for more than 2 years already, but I struggle on it, often mixed it up with French). So I want to drop Spanish and choose Latin instead. Though I haven't learned Latin before, people who did it at my school told me it's a fun course and it's not that hard. But my Dad thought Spanish is a more useful language as it's more widely used than Latin and I had studied it for longer and it woould be a waste if I drop it.

Can someone please suggest whether it's a good idea to drop Spanish and do Latin instead? Will I lose more by doing so given I have done more than two yrs of Spanish? Is Latin harder/easier than Spanish?

ReputationRep:
    latin is tought in a far better way than modern foreign languages.
    you will be in a smaller class and actually be given lists of words etc you can just learn rather than pretty sheets telling you about polution and similar *****.
    its also more interesting, and spanish isnt really useful as most of them speak english. if you were to learn another modern language, theres no need for 2 european ones, learn chinese or something instead of spanish

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought Spanish and latin would be better but if you like French and Latin.
    I wouldn't say it's bad but just do the language that you will enjoy because that is the key to learning a language XD

ReputationRep:
    This depends on your personal interests and aptitudes. As you probably know, the number of students taking GCSEs in languages is declining. There are generally few opportunities to learn Latin, so this is what would probably make it so interesting. You could take Spanish as a distance learning course if you are having difficulty choosing.

ReputationRep:
    Latin! I would have loved to have a choice (:

ReputationRep:
    you may think I'm crazy but I actually took all three for GCSE and have got my exams this summer.. latin is difficult but I think that if I paid more attention to the main grammar in year 7 then I might have found it a lot easier.

But for me, I absolutely love french and spanish but personally I think French will be more useful, and plus if you take latin, it is the basis of most languages so you can always go on to learn spanish later on in life and it will be a lot easier.

So I say go for the french and latin
    and even though I'm doing a different latin course to what you will be doing, it isn't too bad if you just take it as it comes

hope I helped
    good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Hi I really want to do Latin because not many schools offer it and I feel like I should make most of the choice and also it seems pretty interesting and fun and it should help me when I do A Level French (I go to a comp), but apparently it's pretty hard and I'm doing AS Maths and Triple science also this year soo.. The school also recommended that I don't do Latin as I don't have much previous knowledge of it etc (and I've already changed my options once )

But it's either Latin or Spanish, and to be honest I don't really want to do Spanish at all but it seems easy enough (I've already got an A* in French) ... So what should I do? please reply ASAP

ReputationRep:
    I did Latin and French and got A*s in both. I think they're great subjects to do, and they do help one another a bit is say Spanish is more relevant for a business career (if you're thinking that far ahead) or something similar since it's such a multinational language, but Latin is a fabulous subject as a basis for most languages, plus sciences and maths.

ReputationRep:
    Caecilius will beat the slave girls if you don't pick Latin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccm.blake95)
    I did Latin and French and got A*s in both. I think they're great subjects to do, and they do help one another a bit is say Spanish is more relevant for a business career (if you're thinking that far ahead) or something similar since it's such a multinational language, but Latin is a fabulous subject as a basis for most languages, plus sciences and maths.
    Ah okay awesome thanks I'm still not 100% sure but I'm definitely leaning towards latin

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.