Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was wandering if i was unhappy with a course i had chosen, how easy it would be to change to another course the following year in the same university? Say i took on product design at Strathclyde but wanted to change to mechanical engineering the next year? Is this possible, both have the same grade reqirements if that helps. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    A couple of people in my class decided they wanted to change after 1st year and they did!

One of them had to get a certain average grade to swap though. Another one who didn't last til end of year exams just swapped courses! She didn't seem to have a problem, I think she just spoke to her personal tutor and they helped her out with it all

ReputationRep:
    You can if you have the right grades, subjects, and you've passed your first year well enough, I imagine. Just have a chat with your personal tutor and they'll help you out.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm thanks for the replies guys. What if i was to not get an offer for the mechanical engineering course when i applied now? Would they still possibly take me on after one year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gareee)
    Hey

I was wandering if i was unhappy with a course i had chosen, how easy it would be to change to another course the following year in the same university? Say i took on product design at Strathclyde but wanted to change to mechanical engineering the next year? Is this possible, both have the same grade reqirements if that helps. Thanks
    I'm not sure how flexible Strathclyde are but in some engineering courses there are overlapping modules etc meaning there is some flexibility in changing which type of engineering you want to do (I'm assuming you're looking at product design engineering) and this is more likely to be the case here than in the rest of the UK as degrees are a more flexible generally, although how much this applies to engineering will be dependent on the university.

If you look at the Strathcylde website for your two courses it says that transfers can be made but doesn't mention the ones you are looking at, so chances are you might have to reapply for first year mechanical engineering after doing first year of product design. You'll have to check with them and see if they would let you go into second year directly.

I'm guessing you are considering product design as a backup should you be rejected from mechanical engineering. If you were to reapply for the course the following year being rejected one year doesn't mean you will be the next year unless obviously the rejection is because you don't have Higher Physics and they want a pass in it (I have no idea if they do or not, I'm being hypothetical) then the following year you reapply and still only have Standard Grade Physics but not Higher. If you meet all of the entry requirements then there is no reason why there couldn't be a different decision another year as obviously you would have had another year to develop your skills and interests etc.

ReputationRep:
    Great thanks for the help, and you're spot on there, it is product design engineering and it is my back up really. I have an interview coming up soon at Strathclyde for that course but i recieved that interview offer about a month ago and still havn't heard anything from the mechanical engineering course.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.