Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I just wanted to say that I'm a new member but have been reading through TSR for months now and it's been extremely helpful . I have a question about Extra:

Hypothetically, if I do not meet the conditions of my firm offer (and I do not have an insurance), will I be released into Clearing automatically or will I just be rejected and able to search for courses in Extra? (This will be in early May as that's when I get my exams back-I'm an international student).

Also, does anyone know if in past years in Extra there were still a good amount of courses available in May/June (I would be looking at something along the lines of Computer Science, Computing, or Information Systems)?

Thank you in advance!! And sorry if this question has been answered already!

ReputationRep:
    Clearing doesn't start until July, so yes you would be able to go through Extra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender grove)
    Firstly I just wanted to say that I'm a new member but have been reading through TSR for months now and it's been extremely helpful . I have a question about Extra:

Hypothetically, if I do not meet the conditions of my firm offer (and I do not have an insurance), will I be released into Clearing automatically or will I just be rejected and able to search for courses in Extra? (This will be in early May as that's when I get my exams back-I'm an international student).

Also, does anyone know if in past years in Extra there were still a good amount of courses available in May/June (I would be looking at something along the lines of Computer Science, Computing, or Information Systems)?

Thank you in advance!! And sorry if this question has been answered already!
    What often happens is that if you miss the terms of your offer, the uni concerned won't make a final decision about you until all the results are available in August. If you are then unsuccessful, you will be automatically eligible for Clearing. If the uni decides to reject you earlier, I don't think the mechanism exists for you to use Extra, so you would just have to wait until August to go through Clearing. You should ring UCAS and check this is correct, but since Extra is designed for people who have no offers for whatever reason, and therefore have not got to the stage of picking a firm, I think it will be.

However, provided your deadline for choosing your firm is after when your results come out, if you find that you have missed the offer it is an option to decline it (ie it never becomes your firm). That way you would be immediately eligible for Extra. However, the timing could be difficult because if all your decisions are in by the end of March, your deadline for replying to your offers is 5 May.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replies.

So if my firm choice rejects me in May (as I would send my results then), and supposing I don't choose an insurance choice, I would have to wait until August when Clearing begins? Well I suppose that's fair as others in Extra wouldn't have already chosen a firm and insurance as they would have either declined all their choices or would have been rejected from them all.

Oh and actually my deadline for replying is early June (as I'm an international student), but I wanted to firm my top choice within the next week so that I could apply for accommodation (in February) and possibly have a chance of getting my top choice of accommodation. Blah I suppose I should just wait at least until Extra begins and see what's available I suppose.

Thanks for your help again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender grove)
    Thank you for the replies.

So if my firm choice rejects me in May (as I would send my results then), and supposing I don't choose an insurance choice, I would have to wait until August when Clearing begins? Well I suppose that's fair as others in Extra wouldn't have already chosen a firm and insurance as they would have either declined all their choices or would have been rejected from them all.

Oh and actually my deadline for replying is early June (as I'm an international student), but I wanted to firm my top choice within the next week so that I could apply for accommodation (in February) and possibly have a chance of getting my top choice of accommodation. Blah I suppose I should just wait at least until Extra begins and see what's available I suppose.

Thanks for your help again!
    It's not certain, but yes it is likely that you would have to wait. You would be in a better situation I think if you chose an insurance with requirements that you were confident that you could meet. You would probably end up at a better institution than if you go through Extra/Clearing, depending on the subject.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but in order to apply through Extra, you need to be rejected from all your applications or you need to reject all of them, so you can't have a firm *and* apply through extra, although if you have not yet made 5 choices then you can add choices as part of the normal UCAS application.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.