Turn on thread page Beta

Caught inbetween degrees. aka Rock vs Hard Place watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

I applied for medicine 2009 entry, and only got my 5th choice which was Biology at Southampton (BBB). Ive been at Soton for a few months now and i absolutely LOVE biology. So much that im thinking about taking it as a primary degree.

Which has got me thinking, I got 3.5 A's at Alevel, and loads of UCAS points from Music and Drama, about 550 in total. I was wondering whether i should reapply for some higher universities like Imperial and Cambridge, my UCAS level is above average and i know that i love the course.

Will admissions people look down on the fact that ive 'dropped out' of soton - even though its in pursuit of a more intense challenging degree?? Any opinions would be great

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    southampton is one the more respected universitys for science , why would you do this?or you doing biology at southampton or not? im confused by your post?

I think its pretty fail to drop out of a degree on the basis of its reputation , build your own career and do a masters or a phd, your undergrad is the first step,why take out a secound loan, your just causeing yourself more problems and besides your in your first year, im sure it will get harder.

If your not enjoying it then by allmeans its okay to drop out, but think what your doing, it should be for solid reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton is a very good university. I do not see the point in dropping out and trying to get in somewhere "better" :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    Southampton is a very good university. I do not see the point in dropping out and trying to get in somewhere "better" :confused:
    other the being in scummer land i thought it was a highly placed uni, one of the best.

ReputationRep:
    I've had thoughts like this, but then I realised it's just stupid thoughts. I get restless but if i'm hapy with my friends the uni and my course why would i give that up out of choice

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I just feel that for the Money, Time and effort of university that i should be at a level which will really stimulate me. Honestly i got more of a thrill doing independent study than at lectures. I think its a case of if you can, why not. My parents think its vain, and i would have to wait till october to reapply meaning wasted time.
    I only put Soton down as my 5th choice and ideally if i had initially gone for Biology straight i would have applied higher. I do have a scholarship to study here with my grades btw. The people are alrite, met plenty of friends, but my greatest worry is to not achieve the highest i can, and missing my oppertunities in life - i cant stand it :s

Again thanks for posting. Got a meeting with my tutor tmw so gonna talk it out

ReputationRep:
    If you finish your first year at soton can you not get direct entry to 2nd year or is that just in scotland?

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna check with my tutor tomorow. If possible a transfer would be a good option, less time to waste. Hopefully

ReputationRep:
    Are you finding Soton too easy? If yes then look at options to find someplace /course different. If no then stay put.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.