Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, i saw there's a thread on here by some current students based on how they have had some bad experiences of the university - of course this is only normal, what some people love other people might hate etc.

SO i thought it might be useful for those of us who have good things to say about Portsmouth to post it all here! Just thinking it would really help out those who are thinking of coming to Portsmouth for their studies :]

Whether you're a prospective, current or past student - post your positive thoughts here! It can be anything from your subject to the clubs and societies or the night life to the people you've met whilst you've been there!

ReputationRep:
    we have a subway round every corner, i guess thats a pro

ReputationRep:
    lots of nigerians nearby
    not bad for engineering

ReputationRep:
    Post your positive thoughts here? thats a bit one sided....
    What about the negatives like what a dump the town is?
    I know, I live there-ish = /
    I guess you gotta love the local Firm's though...
    Damn hooligans....

ReputationRep:
    As i said, there's a thread stating the negatives already :] i was actually trying to level things up a little seeing as people posted on the negative thread like "oh, i really liked Portsmouth uni when i visited it, now i'm really confused".

I know plenty of people who have lots of nice things to say about Portsmouth uni, it's a shame this forum does not reflect this! ..yet :]

p.s. NO TROLLS thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going this year, from what I hear it's not going to be great...

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Portsmouth for 12 years and I can safely say the single most positive thing about that city is the fact that they finally knocked the Tricorn centre to the ground. Goodness that was an absolute eye sore.

Other than that another positive is that you don't need to salt your chips, you just stand next to the hovercraft when it leaves to go to the Isle of Wight. And if you've got a car then Portsdown Hill is always an option to chill out, good views from up there.

Can't really say much about the Uni though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatal_Microbes)
    Post your positive thoughts here? thats a bit one sided....
    What about the negatives like what a dump the town is?
    I know, I live there-ish = /
    I guess you gotta love the local Firm's though...
    Damn hooligans....
    The uni's facilities are new and modern, the Halls are some of the BEST in the country. The whole city is going through a regeneration so there's areas such as Gunwharf that have been done up really nicely - Bluewater standard! Cascades and Commercial Road are great for high street shopping.
    Sure there are dodgy area's like um ..any city :] but students (those who aren't in halls) mostly live in the Southsea area near the uni and there's a great atmosphere about the place, really student friendly!

ReputationRep:
    One good thing: it's not far from Southampton, so when you get there and see that it's rubbish, there's not far to go to tranfer to a good one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsp911)
    I'm going this year, from what I hear it's not going to be great...
    I don't know anyone who has a bad thing to say about Portsmouth Uni!
    Apart from people who post on TSR apparently LOL :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It's a decent town, good nightlife and a good student atmosphere. Portsmouth and Southsea both seem to be predominately students. My course is fantastic and I'm getting a lot out of it. I'm a fresher but I'm in a house and I'm really happy in it. Doesn't seem that in Portsmouth living in halls for your first year is as crucial as some Uni's. I can genuinely say that I am happy here.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be in a minority, i love portsmouth!

The nightlife is standard, not as amazing as places like London or Manchester but an excellent mix from mainstream places to the more alternative places (albert road is excellent for this!) The shopping is good, you've got commercial road and cascades for all the high street stuff, and Gunwharf for the cheap designer shops. The people are generally friendly, but there are some *****, i've been victim to some racist abuse before but nothing physical, the students are really nice. Cheap cabs cause of aqua (note to newbies: don't get any other cabs! I got ripped off by citywide soo much during freshers week) making getting home from a night out easy.

The students union bar seems quite basic, but the staff are nice and sometimes get quite good offers (atm 2 bottles of sol/smirnoff ice for £3.50!) There's loads of societies, and the university seem to be wanting to invest a lot in it (i saw some union people today about setting some stuff up), we also have the uni bus which helps those that live far away get around.

Only dislike is that it's not as cheap as up north.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skribla)
    yeah, but you have to look at it this way.

The sample of people that come and visit here are very different to the sample (and quantity) of the students at Portsmouth.

I'm not saying the people that posted in this thread are wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But when you compare Portsmouth to London in terms of nightlife then it's bad in every aspect. There are good bits though and it's not just about nightlife.

Basically, what I am saying is if you liked it, then you should apply. Do what you want. Go to any university and you will find people that don't like it etc. Also worth noting that a lot of people on here are moaning about halls, and how late they get to sleep etc. The thing is, halls is one year. it's not for everyone and there is no guarantee that you will get in them anyway.
    ^^^^^ TBH

ReputationRep:
    Aqua!
    Please tell me if you can find a cheaper taxis service that has as many cars?

ReputationRep:
    I loved the uni when I went to the Open Day. The area seems quite nice, but of course the Navy bit isn't too eye-pleasing.
    I really liked that there are some small alternative shops nearby to do some shopping as well as High Street shops around
    I'm dead set on Portsmouth regardless of what other people think of the uni and city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Aqua!
    Please tell me if you can find a cheaper taxis service that has as many cars?
    The best thing about Aqua is that the are consistently priced, and reliable. I also like the fact that you can ask for 'text back' and other things when you book so you get a nice text message when your car is arriving, without having to look out for it.

The cab rank opposite Gunwharf is also pretty good, and supposedly cheaper. I've only used them once though. I don't think they have as many cars as Aqua though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitic)
    I loved the uni when I went to the Open Day. The area seems quite nice, but of course the Navy bit isn't too eye-pleasing.
    I really liked that there are some small alternative shops nearby to do some shopping as well as High Street shops around
    I'm dead set on Portsmouth regardless of what other people think of the uni and city.

I'm quite the same since I went on the open day i'ts been down as my first choice...just need to get the grades

ReputationRep:
    I used to think aqua was the cheapest but city wide are actually way better. Throughout the whole of the snow period aqua charged time and a half and they do every sunday as well, whereas citywide don't! Also, from my experience any cabs from a rank have been way more expensive.

Overall however i love going to uni here, made loads of great friends, course is good, nightlife is good - not amazing, i do prefer brighton's which is where i'm from - but there's generally always something worth going to each night. Even my accommodation isn't too shabby despite being probably the worst available (but one of the cheapest too).

ReputationRep:
    I like the seaaaa

ReputationRep:
    The halls are really good, I'm in James Watson and I love it. Although we seem to lack hot water more often than I'd like......

Oh and Route 66 Tuesdays. Followed by a drunken Subway... Good times!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 4, 2011

University open days

• University of Portsmouth
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 10 Nov '18
  • University of Portsmouth
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 1 Dec '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.